Do The Bills Have Enough "Elite" Talent?

10 minutes ago, BillsFan130 said:

Ok so now we are going to put other circumstances into it because you have no other thing to back up what you're saying?

It's not 2022. Or 2021. Aiyuk was an absolute stud last year and was better than Jefferson (due to injury), chase and adams.

I'm not gonna reply back unless you have any objective thing to state , opposed to your argument,"trust me bro".

So, a backup QB throwing to 2 of those guys for half the season is a bad argument? That is going to affect their season a little bit. I hate to break it to you. It's not "trust me, bro". It's for real lol. Let me ask you, you're running a franchise. You get offered Chase or Aiyuk in a trade and you can only have one, which one you picking? You get offered Ayuik or Justin Jefferson. Which one are you picking? And I'll say the same with any of the other WRs. I will say, I would take Purdy throwing to Aiyuk before Browning over Chase but I am not taking them over Burrow to Chase. I am also taking an elite QB throwing to Adams over Purdy to Aiyuk. I would take Jefferson with pretty much anyone (when healthy) because that matters. Like bro, come on. I know you wanna be right but you are simply not

Edited by Buffalo03

Just now, Buffalo03 said:

So, a backup QB throwing to 2 of those guys for half the season is a bad argument? That is going to affect their season a little bit. I hate to break it to you. It's not "trust me, bro". It's for real lol. Let me ask you, you're running a franchise. You get offered Chase or Aiyuk in a trade and you can only have one, which one you picking? You get offered Ayuik or Justing Jefferson. Which one are you picking. And I'll say the same with any of the other WRs. I will say, I would take Purdy throwing to Aiyuk before Browning over Chase but I am not taking them over Burrow to Chase. I am also taking an elite QB throwing to Adams over Purdy to Aiyuk. I would take Jefferson with pretty much anyone (when healthy) because that matters. Like bro, come on. I know you wanna be right but you are simply not

Chase for sure. Once again you're basing 2023 vs career.... 

In 2023 Aiyuk had a better year than chase. You really cannot argue otherwise 

For all the success they’ve had, the lack of true playmakers/difference makers combined with questionable coaching in crucial situations has kept them from getting over the hump.

Offensively, outside of Josh, no one else puts additional pressure on the D. It’s a well rounded unit but they need reliable playmakers! They have a lot of solid players but need to add a few more studs!

Defensively, we lack a true shutdown corner, our DL goes AWOL far too often and no one requires a double team.  It continues to show up in the playoffs against good teams.

This years draft is critical for Beane to get right. He needs to hit on WR, DL and S with players that make an immediate impact. No two year ramp up!

• Like (+1) 1

43 minutes ago, BillsFan130 said:

Chase for sure. Once again you're basing 2023 vs career.... 

In 2023 Aiyuk had a better year than chase. You really cannot argue otherwise 

He had a better year because Chase didn’t have his elite QB throwing to him for half the season but that's beside the point. Aiyuk was in the 49ers dog house just 2 years ago and wasn't getting playing time and was even the subject of trade rumors. He has come on but I wouldn't put him as elite right now

12 minutes ago, Buffalo03 said:

He had a better year because Chase didn’t have his elite QB throwing to him for half the season but that's beside the point. Aiyuk was in the 49ers dog house just 2 years ago and wasn't getting playing time and was even the subject of trade rumors. He has come on but I wouldn't put him as elite right now

You can't have it both ways though...

Burrow is obviously 10x better than Purdy/jimmy g, the QBs Aiyuk has had.

If your argument is "chase needs his elite QB to get him his elite stats".

What does that say about Aiyuk then, who put up big numbers this year with an average QB at best?

You see my point?

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

Aside from Josh Allen, I see elite potential from the following:

Kincaid
Cook

Torrence

Oliver

Milano (may already be elite)

Johnson as nickel CB?

A fair number of solid to good players beyond that. If we get a blue-chip WR and one other player, maybe DE or safety, I'd feel a lot better about the number of difference makers on this team.

before he got hurt, T bernard was filling up the stat sheet like a monster.

douglas had sick stats for us for how short he was with us, he looked the part too.

oliver had top level DT stats.

allen speaks for himself, and the sack/win rate % for our Oline shows them to be a top tier unit.

cook had as mentioned top 3 YFS, and he  kinda didn't play for the dorsey part of the season.

not to mention Taron who was voted 2nd all pro, and milano who in the prior season was an all pro.

im not saying these guys are elite (except josh, who i fully think is the goat) but in terms of observed performance they were in the proximity of the category at least. 

we have to fill in a starting safety, find some way to (continue to) rush the passer, and get another playmaker (a real one) in the passing game on O and then we have the roster we need to have won it all the past 3 seasons.

on D, we have to smarten up and not become total pushover goofs in the playoffs, injuries basically made us crap out vs kc, but my boy dorian came in and showed us aj klein shoulda been fishing, not playing.  

• Like (+1) 1

5 hours ago, Sweats said:

I actually don't think Diggs is elite. I think he's good, sometimes great, but elite?......he's not a player you can build a franchise around.

He was good in Minnesota and he's been good at times here, but i certainly wouldn't put him in the category of elite.

Wow.  It's amazing how quickly the fanbase has turned on Diggs.

Yes, he was absolutely an elite WR from 2020 until the midway point last year.  Legit argument for the best route-runner in the league.  Will possibly go down as the best WR in Buffalo Bills history, even over Hall of Famer Andre Reed.

Not sure there is a single WR in the league I would "build a franchise" around.  That's something you pretty much reserve for Quarterbacks and the rare Pass Rusher (TJ Watt, Micah Parsons, etc.)

I'm very appreciative of Beane's work.  He took a crap roster and built the franchise into a perennial contender.  

But this thread underscored my problem with his work thus far: not enough difference-makers.  The best teams have more elite game-changing type players than we do.

Some will rail against this opinion, but I think this is the main reason we haven't won a Lombardi.  McD hasn't held us back.  Beane just hasn't - yet - given him a SB-worthy roster.  

• Eyeroll 1

3 hours ago, Donuts and Doritos said:

Don't know - we haven't gotten through free agency or the draft yet. Ask in August after final cuts.

Fair, but with the bills cap situation, I would say it's extremely unlikely the bills are able to add an elite impact player in 2024

• Like (+1) 1

27 minutes ago, BillsFan130 said:

Fair, but with the bills cap situation, I would say it's extremely unlikely the bills are able to add an elite impact player in 2024

Perhaps in Free Agency. But the Draft could give us a Justin Jefferson OR it could give us another Kaiir Elam. We won't know until after. This is a good question, but better once we know who's going to be on the team. 

• Like (+1) 1

22 hours ago, BillsFan130 said:

Comparing to the chiefs and 49ers the 2 SB teams, here's how I'm going to categorize as elite:

-Made 1st team/2nd all pro last year

-Top 3/4 at position. (For example, Josh and Mahomes are elite even though they didn't get voted all pros)

So for the bills I got 3 players but technically only 2 last year cause the Milano injury.

-Josh, Milano, Taron. 

Chiefs: 7 players 

-Mahomes, Kelce, thuney, humphries, C Jones, Mcduffie, Sneed

49ers: Hufanga got hurt so technically 7 players

-Mccafery, Aiyuk, T Williams, Kittle, Bosa, Warner, Hufanga, Chardavious Ward

(I didn't include their fullback)

So in the playoffs if you factor in injuries, bills had 2 "elite" players based on the all pro selection/my opinion.

Chiefs 7

And 49ers 7 with the Hufanga injury.

While the bills have a lot of good to very good players, I really think they are missing some game breakers on this team.

What do you guys think?

I think weighting has to factor in rather than just total number of "elite" players.

For instance, having 1 elite player like Allen is worth a lot more than 1 elite linebacker.

But we do not have many "elite" players...we have done well with Allen being elite and making up for a lack of elite players elsewhere.

For instance, I think if Allen were on SF they would have several rings in the last few years based on their elite talent at multiple positions coupled with the overwhelming weight of having an elite QB.

1 hour ago, Johnnycage46 said:

I think weighting has to factor in rather than just total number of "elite" players.

For instance, having 1 elite player like Allen is worth a lot more than 1 elite linebacker.

But we do not have many "elite" players...we have done well with Allen being elite and making up for a lack of elite players elsewhere.

For instance, I think if Allen were on SF they would have several rings in the last few years based on their elite talent at multiple positions coupled with the overwhelming weight of having an elite QB.

Fair points 

No, not even close, we have like three guys on any given year that can be considered elite, to many mid to slightly above mid level guys that generally get paid to much on hope and “upside”.  Still a good team but that’s because of Allen’s never say die attitude, 

• Agree 2

On 3/11/2024 at 8:10 AM, Warriorspikes51 said:

Josh Allen makes up for it as much as he can

the only other elite player is Milano 

Ed Oliver & Taron Johnson are close

Kincaid could be elite.

Diggs could be elite again, we’ll see.

I think Taron is up there right now. Otherwise this is pretty on-target. My guess is we'll see Diggs up there again next year.

The Bills have put together a really good roster across the board. No weaknesses till the defensive injuries started happening. You can win SBs that way if one of your elite guys is your QB.

5 hours ago, BillsFan130 said:

Add from outside? Possible. You never know.

But guys like Oliver, Torrence and Kincaid could very possibly move up to that tier. And Diggs could get back to closer to his usual level and do the same.

Edited by Thurman#1

No, we have nowhere near enough "elite" talent.

Elite:

1. Josh Allen

2. Matt Milano (when healthy)

Maybe Elite:

1. Stefon Diggs - Used to be elite, but age or commitment is slowing him down

2. Ed Oliver - Great season last year, but didn't make an impact in the KC game (unlike Chris Jones on the opposite side of the field)

There are some good players a tier below, but not "elite."

Go back a few years, and White, Hyde & Poyer would definitely be on that list. And with our cap situation, Beane will have to draft extremely well this year to fix that issue.

• Like (+1) 1

define "elite" ??  top 5 ??....top 10 in league at their position ?

Josh Top 2 ( i say #1, mahomes just on better team & coaching))

Milano Top 5

Diggs Top 10 (add a legit wr2 and would push Top 5 again)

Rousseau Top 15 (don't sleep on his all around play)

Rasul Top 15

Taron Top 20

Von Top 25 ( i sure hope so, gotta get healthy)

Epenesa Top 30 (will be breakout player of 2024)

Oliver Top 30 (had his best season yet in 2023, run def needs to be better)

• Haha (+1) 2