Dion Dawkins cryptic tweet UPDATE: EXTENDED PER SCHEFTY

I don't see a trade that's worth moving him, cutting him is still $11M dead cap for just $5M in savings... This has to be an extension which drives his 2024 cap number down and locks him up for his foreseeable career.

My guess is 4 year extension taking him to 2029 (his 1 year left + 4 more), with "outs" IE: Cap Savings starting in 2026.

• Like (+1) 1

4 hours ago, EasternOHBillsFan said:

I hate it here in the Youngstown area... it's like being in a place where all the people that gave a crap all left, leaving *mostly* old people and the dregs of society. The people that live on my street leave trash in their yards, let their kids do what they want, loud bass/music, cars and trucks with no bumpers and busted out headlights (as the geniuses here have no annual inspections) and recently my car was stolen after we got back from the fair but was recovered. 

I am the sort of person who enjoys both the city and country myself, a rare person these days. I can't take the cold that I love anymore because my lungs are shot so we were contemplating New Mexico or just buying a large RV and sticking to the southwest... anything but this miserable rainy and cold hellscape!

A couple years ago I rode motorcycle from Collins to Kentucky. I was glad it was daytime when I went through Youngstown. Sad mess. .... Gimme Columbus for a good time and Hocking Hills for a better time. .... However, (lol) I'll be staying with Buffalo and Zoar Valley! .... And that's not bad at all. ....PS Dion isn't going anywhere.

Edited by Kornfed
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

22 hours ago, ExWNYer said:

Generally speaking, I don't think most people care about the difference between a Millennial, a Gen X, a Gen Z, or anything in between or after.

Great, great comment. I'll only continue this sub-thread b/c...people should know and, hell, it's off-season.

Context, briefly: I was low-kinetic** until 9-11. Thereafter, very high-kinetic--war, yada, yada--for fifteen straight yrs, starting when I was basically an old m'fer (37yo).

My point: in every theater, men and women--across the age-gaps--worked and fought together with purpose. I suppose "seamlessly" might be a fair description.

Just one of many, many examples: ran a few times w 1-506th and 2-506th, in various AOs.

Being an old friggin bastard, it almost brings me to tears thinking about the courage, fidelity and professionalism of these, well,..."kids". Some Millennials, mostly Xs and, towards the end, even a few Zs.

Interested to know what @Iraq Vet or others think, but that is my particular experience.

Anyway: I think we're in pretty good shape across the Gens, no matter the crap-talking (usually good-natured) back and forth. Rant ends.

**JA17 double-entendre.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

5 hours ago, BADOLBILZ said:

Pegula's willingness to use cash up front is why the Bills have been able to pull these levers to push cap debt down the road and subsequently spend the most actual money on players in the AFC year after year(New Orleans does this in the NFC).   

But I remember when Jerry Jones bought the Cowboys and started pushing the envelope to expand his unshared revenue.......a separate multi-million dollar stadium rights deal with Pepsi when Coke was the official soft drink of the NFL is where it began..........and everyone realizing that these mountains of unshared revenue he could generate with the Cowboys name would create a competitive disadvantage for other teams in acquiring/retaining players because cash is king when it comes to the salary cap.

Well look at Jerry now.    His investment in the Cowboys has grown to outrageous proportions.........but he operates with an approach almost akin to "cash to the cap" with regard to payroll.   Part of that, IMO,  is because he has a lot of his own money invested in the infrastructure now.   He bought a team with a county run stadium and later built a palace largely out of pocket that he is the sole owner of.   And instead of approaching unshared revenue as money to spend on players he is looking at as an entirely separate business. 

We see something similar with the New York Yankees.........whose payroll to revenue ratio has gone from $240M/$300M in 2004 to just $300M/$900M(estimated) in 2024 even as the value of the franchise has skyrocketed as has the revenues of the team and their self-owned TV network and other holdings.  

The lesson is that winning matters most until it doesn't.    The turning point is often when the owners start re-investing their earnings into the product, IMO.    And I can even speak from experience as a fairly well off business owner.   Every time I re-invest in new infrastructure it changes how I feel about doling out salaries.     

You can make the argument that greed just naturally expands as the only reason for the 2 largest franchises in US sports getting away from their win-at-all-cost mentality.   And the Pegula's are raking in dough on the Bills and their investment in purchasing the Bills has more than doubled.   But I believe it also changes when the product is re-invested in.  And the Sabres are likely very unprofitable.   And now Pegs is having to re-furbish his hockey arena while he is also facing somewhere in the neighborhood of $500M in cost over-runs on the new Bills stadium.    Let's not forget that part of the strange PSE mission statement leaked a few years ago was keeping the family lifestyle intact.   So if you don't think it's a consideration then we already know you are wrong about that.

All the EVIDENCE (new stadium $$, spending over the cap for the past several years by pushing $$ into the future) shows that Pegula is very willing to spend money on the Bills. 

You’ve just got some byzantine conspiracy theory based on the Yankees and Jerry Jones that makes no sense whatsoever. 

• Disagree 1

1 minute ago, McBean said:

We get rid of Dion, go ahead and call Chicago and get 4 firsts and 4 2nd’s for Josh.

Burn it down

IMO LT isn’t quite as critical as it’s made out to be when your QB evades pressure at a high level. You can certainly win a Championship with an average LT. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Disagree 2

3 minutes ago, Warriorspikes51 said:

IMO LT isn’t quite as critical as it’s made out to be when your QB evades pressure at a high level. You can certainly win a Championship with an average LT. 

That's Josh's blind side. It doesn't matter how good he is at evading if he doesn't see it coming.

• Agree 2
  • Dislike 1

49 minutes ago, pennstate10 said:

All the EVIDENCE (new stadium $$, spending over the cap for the past several years by pushing $$ into the future) shows that Pegula is very willing to spend money on the Bills. 

You’ve just got some byzantine conspiracy theory based on the Yankees and Jerry Jones that makes no sense whatsoever. 

No it's based on the fact that EVERY super-rich new owner that has come before him has eventually lost their taste for wasting money...........an opinion that is largely supported by the fact that most teams that win championships do so with fairly firm budget constraints.

Counting on there being no end to Terry Pegula's generosity on the football side of his sports holdings is naive.

If behaving in the manner of 97% of the other owners by imposing limits on spending is "byzantine" then I guess that's your statement about pro sports ownership in general. 

If we are lucky it doesn't happen until the Pegula children are in charge and the fortune gets divvied up.........as has been the case with Lamar Hunt Sr and the Hunt family's $15B+ estate(of which Clark Hunt Jr. "only" holds about $2B).  

Hopefully, the Bills have a championship by then and get to a point where they win the way all of the multi-SB winning franchises like the Patriots, Steelers and Chiefs have been doing for the past quarter century.

• Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, BADOLBILZ said:

No it's based on the fact that EVERY super-rich new owner that has come before him has eventually lost their taste for wasting money...........an opinion that is largely supported by the fact that most teams that win championships do so with fairly firm budget constraints.

Counting on there being no end to Terry Pegula's generosity on the football side of his sports holdings is naive.

If behaving in the manner of 97% of the other owners by imposing limits on spending is "byzantine" then I guess that's your statement about pro sports ownership in general. 

If we are lucky it doesn't happen until the Pegula children are in charge and the fortune gets divvied up.........as has been the case with Lamar Hunt Sr and the Hunt family's $15B+ estate(of which Clark Hunt Jr. "only" holds about $2B).  

Hopefully, the Bills have a championship by then and get to a point where they win the way all of the multi-SB winning franchises like the Patriots, Steelers and Chiefs have been doing for the past quarter century.

You bring up an interesting point.  Maybe Terry put Beane and McDermott on notice the big spending put of his pocket is slowing or done?

I mean Beane etal. Had an open checkbook to this point, and it didn't produce a championship.   It's past time to rely on the draft, pick better talent and coach them up better.

8 minutes ago, SoonerBillsFan said:

You bring up an interesting point.  Maybe Terry put Beane and McDermott on notice the big spending put of his pocket is slowing or done?

I mean Beane etal. Had an open checkbook to this point, and it didn't produce a championship.   It's past time to rely on the draft, pick better talent and coach them up better.

Maybe this is the case, but you have to manage the cap regardless .. no matter how much your owner spends.

It’s not like we cut guys in their prime .. every player we cut makes sense, even Morse at 8.5M.. and he’s the only one I would make a case to keep.  

It’s not like we’re going to hold onto this money we freed up in the coming weeks… at least, I’d be shocked if we did. 

• Agree 1

3 minutes ago, SCBills said:

Maybe this is the case, but you have to manage the cap regardless .. no matter how much your owner spends.

It’s not like we cut guys in their prime .. every player we cut makes sense, even Morse at 8.5M.. and he’s the only one I would make a case to keep.  

It’s not like we’re going to hold onto this money we freed up in the coming weeks… at least, I’d be shocked if we did. 

I get what your saying, but who knows.

I’ll randomly guess contract negotiations the sides are far apart. Dion and his agent likely want top 5 LT money and Beane maybe offered 12-15th ?  Just speculation on my part

Perhaps Beane and Sean didn’t appreciate Dion’s comments prior to the KC game which gave them extra fuel. Also, his recent interview trashing the Jets DL

His value is probably as high as it will be.  

I’m kind of indifferent either way honestly

• Like (+1) 1

33 minutes ago, SCBills said:

Yeah to be clear I was by no means suggesting that the cuts they made were some kind of cost cutting measure.

That part was basic accounting to get under the cap.   Those costs are sunk.