I think I have to bail on all offseason NFL media coverage

It’s not even what has to happen to beat KC, it’s that our window has been nailed shut.  In the last week (per mainstream media) we’ve lost three pro bowl DB’s and a center.  We’re also losing other “major” contributors.  No mention that with the exception of Morse, these guys are aging high priced players who’ve lost a step and can’t stay healthy.  This is a game for young fast players and I’m looking forward to next season.

• Agree 1

1 hour ago, The 9 Isles said:

Any time I see anything about the Bills or Josh Allen almost immediately the Chiefs and Mahomes are brought into the conversation. 

I just want my Bills news, I don’t want to continually be reminded of Patrick Mahomes and the Chiefs and their Superbowls and how the Bills always lose to them and blah blah blah……

It is so aggravating that not only do they win but whenever my team is spoken about I need to hear all the superlatives about the crown prince and his team. 

I will be using this board to curate my NFL news this offseason, thank you to all the contributors that wade through the mud of the NFL offseason. 

I can’t wait until the Bills and JA win one and finally get all these people to STFU. 

(carve out for Rich Eisen, he always has Buffalo’s back)

So, I shouldn't make any posts comparing Allen and Mahomes? 

18 minutes ago, 90sBills said:

Well since KC has beaten every team that the Bills have trotted out there in the playoffs I’d say the issue really is trying to build a team to beat the Chiefs. 

Sorry but that's a loser mentality. Build a team THEY  

have to beat.  Otherwise you are always chasing and that's all we have done and failed at.

8 minutes ago, NickelCity said:

They're the primary reason we haven't won it all. It's not going to go away unless we get that trophy. 

That said, in my phase of life I watch the games and frequent this forum, and that's it.

Same here, I once viewed sports media as professionals with more knowledge than the average fan. I’ve come to realize they’re just guys with opinions, no different than random water cooler talk. The games are good enough for me. I still like talking football, but I don’t need articles or monologues from talking heads. 

I'm also tired of the narrative that the Bills can't beat the Chiefs, but, to me, the reality is no one has been able to stop them, hence the back to back championships. I Give the Bills credit for playing them so competitively (except for a few brief seconds) that the media often links those two teams together.

30 minutes ago, SoonerBillsFan said:

Sorry but that's a loser mentality. Build a team THEY  

have to beat.  Otherwise you are always chasing and that's all we have done and failed at.

I hate to break the news to you. There’s only 1 champion and everybody else is chasing. Guess which one we are?

7 minutes ago, SoonerBillsFan said:

And that mentality is the problem

No that’s just reality. You can’t just announce you’re building a team that people have to chase. That kind of reputation is earned through championships. So far the Bills have been chasers. That’s just facts you don’t want to see. Positive thinking isn’t going to change that fact.

3 hours ago, The 9 Isles said:

Any time I see anything about the Bills or Josh Allen almost immediately the Chiefs and Mahomes are brought into the conversation. 

I just want my Bills news, I don’t want to continually be reminded of Patrick Mahomes and the Chiefs and their Superbowls and how the Bills always lose to them and blah blah blah……

It is so aggravating that not only do they win but whenever my team is spoken about I need to hear all the superlatives about the crown prince and his team. 

I will be using this board to curate my NFL news this offseason, thank you to all the contributors that wade through the mud of the NFL offseason. 

I can’t wait until the Bills and JA win one and finally get all these people to STFU. 

(carve out for Rich Eisen, he always has Buffalo’s back)

What is this off-season NFL coverage you speak of?

There's a simple and sad but irrefutable fact at play here.

In today's sports media landscape, detailed analysis looking at x's and o's, personnel, salary cap, and in-depth team coverage doesn't get NEARLY the amount of viewers and clicks -- and, ultimately, dollars -- as the Stephan A Smith, Skip Bayless, Nick Wright brand of yelling, controversy, and cooked up nonsense.

For every 5 passionate, knowledgeable football fans who are hungry for more in depth coverage of the sport itself, there are 100 casual fans that prefer the soap opera, the yelling, the pomp and circumstance. Or at least, that's what the viewership and online engagement numbers and revenue streams seem to indicate. It's sad, but it's true.

Until that changes, I will continue to tune out mass media sports coverage and stick to the vastly more informative and interesting podcasts and online shows and football coverage done by people and outlets like Dan Orlovsky, Kurt Warner, Brian Baldinger, and Cover 1.

sports-shouting-thumb-1200w.jpg

• Awesome! (+1) 1

2 hours ago, NickelCity said:

That said, in my phase of life I watch the games and frequent this forum, and that's it.

Me too. 

There are some places where I should spend time - like, a part of me wishes I'd check into the Athletic and Cover 1 every few days, but I don't do that.  As far as nationally, it's a joke.  I suppose there are a few outlets that would keep me informed better than I am.  I wasn't a big Peter King fan, but if you read him regularly you'd get some good, in-depth coverage of some part of what's happening with teams.  But so much of what's out there is stuff written by people who are interested in the game, but don't have the time or the budgets to produce thoughtful stuff.   They're just grinding stuff out, and in that situation it's hard not to just run with the conventional wisdom.  So, you get, "Poyer, White, Morse.  I know something about these guys.  Wow, that's three big players.  Bills are slashing the roster."  Pretty uninformed stuff.  

• Agree 1

27 minutes ago, Shaw66 said:

Me too. 

There are some places where I should spend time - like, a part of me wishes I'd check into the Athletic and Cover 1 every few days, but I don't do that.  As far as nationally, it's a joke.  I suppose there are a few outlets that would keep me informed better than I am.  I wasn't a big Peter King fan, but if you read him regularly you'd get some good, in-depth coverage of some part of what's happening with teams.  But so much of what's out there is stuff written by people who are interested in the game, but don't have the time or the budgets to produce thoughtful stuff.   They're just grinding stuff out, and in that situation it's hard not to just run with the conventional wisdom.  So, you get, "Poyer, White, Morse.  I know something about these guys.  Wow, that's three big players.  Bills are slashing the roster."  Pretty uninformed stuff.  

Agreed.  TBD has the best updates out there and we actually know the players and what effect they would ha e on the team.

The one possible exception is Rich Eisen who somewhat keeps up with the Bills

36 minutes ago, Shaw66 said:

As far as nationally, it's a joke. 

During the season you’d get more in depth discussions about different teams. The offseason is meant to give flowers to whoever won the superbowl. So if Bills are ever to win one I suspect many of us will tune in to the national shows the day after the superbowl until the start of the following season.

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, 90sBills said:

During the season you’d get more in depth discussions about different teams. The offseason is meant to give flowers to whoever won the superbowl. So if Bills are ever to win one I suspect many of us will tune in to the national shows the day after the superbowl until the start of the following season.

Good point.