The GM's Job is Amazingly Difficult

Shaw66

I've been thinking about how hard a GM's job is.   The job is almost hopelessly complex, and it requires constant, complex thinking and decision making in an environment where you don't know the answers to many questions. 

Think about Beane:

Your team has about 70 players during the regular season, when you include guys who are injured or on the practice squad.  Fifteen or twenty or thirty of the players you had at the end of last season are going to leave your team in the next four months.  Your job is to fill the openings with players who, together with the guys who carry over, give your head coach the best opportunity to assemble a great team.  

Although 20 or 30 might leave, you don't know today which 20 or 30 that is.  That will depend on decisions they make in free agency, or you make about them.  You don't know which players are going to be available from other teams as the same thing is playing out in their offices.   You have essentially no idea who you'll be able to draft, and you have very little idea of which guys in the draft can help the team in 2024.  

You talk to McDermott and Brady, and ask which guys are essential and which are expendable.  Their answer is, "It depends on who you bring in to help fill the spots that will become vacant.  

What you do know is if you sign this guy you won't have enough cap room to sign that guy.  And the importance of the positions in your consideration changes as you keep or lose guys.  

One guy may be your priority, but you have limits on how much you can spend and how that spending can be structured, and the player may not like the financial package, so you don't even know if you can get your priority guy.   Occasionally, a guy who becomes your priority changes the whole picture for you, sometimes for multiple years.  Giving up picks for Diggs solved a problem but affected the shape of the roster because a first-round pick disappeared.  Signing Von Miller changed the whole picture, because he brought significant cap consequences to the equation going forward.  

In that environment, an environment where you're not sure who you're going to lose or who you're going to get, and all of it is limited by how much you have to spend, you have to make decisions.   You have to let some guys walk, extend some guys, rework some deals, all in preparation for when free agency hits.   When free agency starts, you have to start making decisions about players.  Every decision you make, every deal you work, changes what you need and how much you can spend.  Thirty-one other teams are making deals, too, so the players who remain available keep changing, and what they're worth keeps changing as the deals affect the market.  

When the draft comes along, you take a break from the free agency puzzle and run a mini-version of the whole problem in your head over three days to acquire 8 or 10 guys, each of whom may or may not perform the way you think they will (after all, you've never seen them against NFL competition).   Then you go back to working deals with other free agents, based on a revised picture of the roster as the result of the draft.  

The bottom line is that it's impossible today for Beane or any other GM to have a plan for what the roster will look like on September 1.  It's a huge puzzle the GM has to put together over the next five months, a puzzle where the actual picture of the completed puzzle keeps changing, and the pieces available to complete the puzzle keep changing too.  

• Like (+1) 13
  • Agree 4
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 6

Shaw, you make it sound complicated. In Denver, all you have to do is write cheques.

In all seriousness, I'm sure that there are very sophisticated technological tools to track players who are a fit for Buffalo's schemes, their injury history and contract status.

The benefit of having organizational stability with Beane and McDermott is that they can be philosophically aligned as to the kinds of players and culture we are building.

I'm curious as to the extent to which AI has become a part of play calling and decision making. There is still no software or test that measures heart. 

• Haha (+1) 2

I don't really think it's too difficult......i mean, come on, man.....do you think he is one individual who is managing all of it? He has guys working for him and guys working for those guys and guys working for those guys and on down.

At the end of the day, he's the guy at the top, so all of the minor Pions who work below him do all the work and shuffle it up, while the guy at the top takes all the credit. 

I've been in business for a long, longgggggggg time......i've seen how it works.

It's not one guy running the whole show. It's more like one guy at the top while everyone else does everything to make the guy at the top look good, in hopes that they might get noticed for their hard work and efforts.....which they never do and the cycle goes on and on and on and on and on and on and on.......

• Like (+1) 1
  • Eyeroll 1
  • Disagree 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1
  • Dislike 1

I'm telling you, i could have been the GM of this franchise in the garbage early 2000's teams and i wouldn't have done any worse, i can tell you that. In fact, a 3 toothed hobo could have done a better job.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Vomit 1
  • Haha (+1) 2
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, Bob Chandler's Hands said:

There are plenty of jobs out there that are this complex. 

And yes, it's complex. 

I agree.  I think we often tend to under-appreciate the difficulty of other people's jobs.  

What's interesting to me is not simply the complexity.  As some have said, he has a staff that's evaluating the draft talent, evaluating the free-agent talent, running the cap numbers, evaluating the consequences of one move or another.   What's interesting is that he has to make big decisions with such incomplete information.  He knows, for example, that if he signs a big-ticket receiver it will affect what's he's able to do at several other positions.   If he decides he can't afford it, well, a big-ticket D-tackle is waiting to be signed, too.  Can he afford the impact in the receiving room if he splurges?  Exactly how much linebacker help does he need?  How much cornerback help?    No matter how much information his staff may generate, he still has to make consequential decisions without all the information he'd like to have.   

2 minutes ago, Sweats said:

I'm telling you, i could have been the GM of this franchise in the garbage early 2000's teams and i wouldn't have done any worse, i can tell you that. In fact, a 3 toothed hobo could have done a better job.

First, I think the chances are that you would have done worse, and I would have, too.   It simply isn't simple.   Having said that, however, I know (because I thought it at the time), that when I traded up in the third round, I would have taken Russell Wilson instead of TJ Graham.  That probably would have made a difference. 

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 2

23 minutes ago, stuvian said:

I'm curious as to the extent to which AI has become a part of play calling and decision making. There is still no software or test that measures heart. 

AI is an interesting subject.  Getting from here to September 1 is like a big chess game, and it isn't possible for a human brain to evaluate all the possible combinations of players who are or might be available (including possible trades).  AI certainly could help do that, spitting out potential rosters that could be created, given cap space, presumed contract values, etc.  And AI doesn't work in a vacuum.  The staff certainly could add its own biases about the heart and cultural compatibility of a player.  

If the Bills have AI like that, it certainly would be useful.  McBeane could sit down this afternoon and look at potential rosters, decide which they like and don't like, then develop plans about how they could deal to achieve those rosters.   They'd still stumble along the way, because they can't control losing a guy to another team, they can control injuries, and they can't control the draft.  

1 minute ago, SoCal Deek said:

The job itself isn’t all that difficult. The challenge is that your performance will be judged based on a bunch of variables that really aren’t under your direct control. 

Well, sure, the job isn't difficult.  Just show up and make decisions. It is literally true that anyone can do that.  

Being good at the job, however, is something else, for exactly the reason you give:  To do your job well, you have to manage a lot of things that are outside of your control.  

• Like (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

23 minutes ago, Sweats said:

A 12 year old kid with a copy of the old Pro Football Weekly would have done a better job than Marv Levy as GM. 

• Agree 1
  • Haha (+1) 2

2 minutes ago, Shaw66 said:

Well, sure, the job isn't difficult.  Just show up and make decisions. It is literally true that anyone can do that.  

Being good at the job, however, is something else, for exactly the reason you give:  To do your job well, you have to manage a lot of things that are outside of your control.  

It’s not true that anyone can do it. It takes a unique skill set of someone who’s reasonably skilled with people, and extremely skilled with money and budgeting. 

Managing any group of people is difficult. As every person is individual and not all individuals are always on the same page or agree with said management. What's worse if some athletes are somewhat coddled as they've always been the best and/or treated as though they're superior most of their lives. Toss in not all of them have much education passed high school level which evenso not equal everywhere. Throw money into the mix and sense of worth and got even more drama to deal with. Not easy but if you surround yourself with good people around you it makes your job that much easier. 

11 minutes ago, Bill from NYC said:

A 12 year old kid with a copy of the old Pro Football Weekly would have done a better job than Marv Levy as GM. 

A kid with an Ourlads guide could have done better than Levy, Brandon...and Nix!  Imagine the possibilities!

But, when you've got a guy in the room, HC or GM, who demands defense...well, by golly you go and get it.  Because history has proven that you can never have enough DB's...or RB's.  Right Bill? ;) 

• Eyeroll 1
  • Haha (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 2

1 hour ago, Shaw66 said:

I've been thinking about how hard a GM's job is.   The job is almost hopelessly complex, and it requires constant, complex thinking and decision making in an environment where you don't know the answers to many questions. 

Think about Beane:

Your team has about 70 players during the regular season, when you include guys who are injured or on the practice squad.  Fifteen or twenty or thirty of the players you had at the end of last season are going to leave your team in the next four months.  Your job is to fill the openings with players who, together with the guys who carry over, give your head coach the best opportunity to assemble a great team.  

Although 20 or 30 might leave, you don't know today which 20 or 30 that is.  That will depend on decisions they make in free agency, or you make about them.  You don't know which players are going to be available from other teams as the same thing is playing out in their offices.   You have essentially no idea who you'll be able to draft, and you have very little idea of which guys in the draft can help the team in 2024.  

You talk to McDermott and Brady, and ask which guys are essential and which are expendable.  Their answer is, "It depends on who you bring in to help fill the spots that will become vacant.  

What you do know is if you sign this guy you won't have enough cap room to sign that guy.  And the importance of the positions in your consideration changes as you keep or lose guys.  

One guy may be your priority, but you have limits on how much you can spend and how that spending can be structured, and the player may not like the financial package, so you don't even know if you can get your priority guy.   Occasionally, a guy who becomes your priority changes the whole picture for you, sometimes for multiple years.  Giving up picks for Diggs solved a problem but affected the shape of the roster because a first-round pick disappeared.  Signing Von Miller changed the whole picture, because he brought significant cap consequences to the equation going forward.  

In that environment, an environment where you're not sure who you're going to lose or who you're going to get, and all of it is limited by how much you have to spend, you have to make decisions.   You have to let some guys walk, extend some guys, rework some deals, all in preparation for when free agency hits.   When free agency starts, you have to start making decisions about players.  Every decision you make, every deal you work, changes what you need and how much you can spend.  Thirty-one other teams are making deals, too, so the players who remain available keep changing, and what they're worth keeps changing as the deals affect the market.  

When the draft comes along, you take a break from the free agency puzzle and run a mini-version of the whole problem in your head over three days to acquire 8 or 10 guys, each of whom may or may not perform the way you think they will (after all, you've never seen them against NFL competition).   Then you go back to working deals with other free agents, based on a revised picture of the roster as the result of the draft.  

The bottom line is that it's impossible today for Beane or any other GM to have a plan for what the roster will look like on September 1.  It's a huge puzzle the GM has to put together over the next five months, a puzzle where the actual picture of the completed puzzle keeps changing, and the pieces available to complete the puzzle keep changing too.  

I love you Shaw, but how much did Beane slip you to post that? 🤣

• Like (+1) 1