What exactly is Khalil Shakir?

With all the discussion on needs at WR I get the feeling the "need" is not quite what many think it is.  I think they should expend a premium draft asset (first or second round) this year to try to find the next #1 guy.  In addition to that, some kind of vet who can step in if needed and certainly open to another draft pick on day 3 where the Bills have found both Davis and Shakir.  The Bills have Diggs as a #1, there is some chatter if he is still that, I think he is.  I think his skill set is something that can work for an older receiver.   That big question is the drop off in production once Brady took over, can that be changed?  I would like to think so.  But I think with Shakir coming on along with Kincaid, if they add one more premium asset they are in pretty good shape as far as weapons go.

But the point of this thread is Khalil Shakir.   He really came on the final 10 games last year where he was nearly at a 1000 yard pace.  Is he a potential Beasley type security blanket for Josh with upside in RAC?   Beasley was a master of finding a hole and letting Josh hit him, I think Shakir can do that but he can actually do much more.  Or maybe they are completely different.  Shakir can play outside too, I like him as a prospect moving forward.    Do you guys see him as a slot receiver with Diggs and future #2 and Kincaid where they go back to more 11?    

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

1 minute ago, FireChans said:

Slot in 3 WR sets. Part time boundary WR in bunch sets and/or in case of emergency only. Competing to be the #3 target. 

I will just point out that Beasley was the #2 target getter as the #3 slot guy and people loved that.  So is that what we want here?  I think people want 2 guys with 1400 yards on the outside but its hard for me to see that happening.

• Agree 1

Just now, Matt_In_NH said:

I will just point out that Beasley was the #2 target getter as the #3 slot guy and people loved that.  So is that what we want here?  I think people want 2 guys with 1400 yards on the outside but its hard for me to see that happening.

Beasley was the #2 target getter because he was always our second best available target. 

I like Shakir a lot, but I don’t want him being our second best target on the roster. If he is, Kincaid and the future boundary WR we draft didn’t really work out. 

• Agree 2

First I agree its paramount that we draft an early wr and another later. Davis is gone and Diggs could be gone in 2 years or less. Filling those holes this draft is vital. 

Shakir holds great promise. I see him more as an upgraded YAC slot guy to Beasley. Khalil will need to work on the things that made Cole special especially finding zone cavities. Having Shakir & Kincaid as a foundation is great. Shorter is still unknown?

Edited by LABILLBACKER
  • Like (+1) 2

1 minute ago, FireChans said:

Beasley was the #2 target getter because he was always our second best available target. 

I like Shakir a lot, but I don’t want him being our second best target on the roster. If he is, Kincaid and the future boundary WR we draft didn’t really work out. 

There are only so many targets to go around and I guess that is the reason for my first paragraph, I see and hear so much about the dramatic "need" for WR's.  The future boundary guy will only be able to eat so much unless he gets into Diggs targets IMO.  Some of the throws to Beasley (now Shakir or Kincaid) are easy or progression type throws when the target was not there to the primary (Diggs or future #2).

4 minutes ago, Matt_In_NH said:

Shakir isn't nearly as snappy a route runner as Beasley was in his prime. Maybe he will develop into that caliber of safety net but right now he is more of a role player IMO.

That being said the role he plays is extremely valuable. Strong hands and body control at the catch point, instinctive and deceptively fast with the ball in his hands. We haven't had a player like him in the Josh Allen era. If he is the 3rd or 4th pass catcher on the depth chart we are in excellent shape.

• Like (+1) 6
  • Agree 1

Just now, HappyDays said:

Shakir isn't nearly as snappy a route runner as Beasley was in his prime. Maybe he will develop into that caliber of safety net but right now he is more of a role player IMO.

That being said the role he plays is extremely valuable. Strong hands and body control at the catch point, instinctive and deceptively fast with the ball in his hands. We haven't had a player like him in the Josh Allen era. If he is the 3rd or 4th pass catcher on the depth chart we are in excellent shape.

Agree there are differences with Beasley's skill set compared to Shakir but I think Shakir is or can better than a role player, maybe I am wrong but his production the last 10 games showed it.  He is dependable and good with RAC.

• Like (+1) 1

He made the most of his opportunities last year. So much so that Josh seemed to have good chemistry with him toward the end of the season. I would expect target distribution this year to be ...

1. Diggs

2. Kincaid

3. Shakir

4. 1st round draft pick

Shakir will be first up when any of the others need a breather.

• Like (+1) 3
  • Agree 1

Just now, Matt_In_NH said:

Agree there are differences with Beasley's skill set compared to Shakir but I think Shakir is or can better than a role player, maybe I am wrong but his production the last 10 games showed it.  He is dependable and good with RAC.

It can be hard to analyze a WR separately from his QB. I like Shakir but I think his stats are inflated because he plays with an elite QB. He is not the caliber of player where you start thinking "if we draft another WR, where will he get his snaps?" For example drafting a 3-tech high would be pointless because Oliver will get all the snaps. Or drafting a guard high. Shakir isn't so good that he is going to keep a good WR off the field or split time with him. I would compare the situation to Gabe Davis in 2020 and we all saw what happened when we tried to make him a higher volume target. Some players are much better off as low volume targets.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

Just now, frostbitmic said:

He made the most of his opportunities last year. So much so that Josh seemed to have good chemistry with him toward the end of the season. I would expect target distribution this year to be ...

1. Diggs

2. Kincaid

3. Shakir

4. 1st round draft pick

Shakir will be first up when any of the others need a breather.

I feel it needs to be...

1. Diggs 

1a. 1st round draft pick

2. Kincaid

3. Shakir

This team needs a 1st round WR to come in and claim #2/ 1a this year and push for being the #1 WR on this team

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 4

6 minutes ago, Matt_In_NH said:

There are only so many targets to go around and I guess that is the reason for my first paragraph, I see and hear so much about the dramatic "need" for WR's.  The future boundary guy will only be able to eat so much unless he gets into Diggs targets IMO.  Some of the throws to Beasley (now Shakir or Kincaid) are easy or progression type throws when the target was not there to the primary (Diggs or future #2).

We want them to eat into Diggs targets. Because he was one of the least inefficient high volume WR’s for 10 weeks.. 

• Like (+1) 6

Shakir has some versatility. Ideally, he's going to start in the Slot next year. Really good hands and made the most of his opportunities. Josh also was looking for him more. Gabe saw 81 targets during the regular season last year. Shakir, already having chemistry with Josh, should see a some of those.