NIL deals keeping more players in college now and diluting the draft talent pool?

Big Turk

16 minutes ago, Sweats said:

Saban knew the jig was up and he could no longer compete for blue chippers, when the NIL and transfer portal came into effect. He no longer held the "market share" and thus, turned Bama into just another college program like everyone else who had to claw and scratch and promote for players across the country. He no longer held the upper hand on other schools, he knew it and he retired.

That, and he’s 73.

• Like (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, SoTier said:

Here's an article to better understand NIL:  NIL

The average length of NFL careers is about 3 years, so the percentage of players from every draft class who actually succeed, much less become long-term starters who make significant money, is tiny.   Many draftees will never make nearly as much in the NFL as they do from capitalizing on NIL while collegians.  This might not be true of first round picks or even most Day 2 picks, but certainly for kids drafted on Day 3.   A lot of Day 3 picks are proverbial "big fish in a small pond" types who aren't going to even make NFL practice squads.

NIL is about the NCAA allowing collegiate athletes the right to earn money off of their images, names or other likenesses, which the NCAA didn't allow until a 2021 court case.   Colleges still cannot pay collegiate athletes for playing sports.   NIL is about individual athletes profiting from their collegiate -- and in some cases, high school -- fame.

Exactly. It is about the individual. Not the sport. Sports will die. Wrestling, track, many men's sports have been destroyed already (title ix bull####).

The individual will prosper if he can be a solid superstar. But the poor kid who is just good enough to get out of the slums to get a half ride playing 3rd TE on FAU, or the kid who busted his ass for grades and sports to be 7th man on the bench at Memphis... They're not going to make money but I sure as ***** know they appreciate the education and scholarships.

I think, beyond these athletes being taxed appropriately, they need to surrender their scholarship for collecting nil.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

11 hours ago, boyst said:

Education, free meals, free living, tutors and aid to learn, clothes, health management, connections in business/life through boosters and such. And there is still the illegal ***** they got

You have obviously not had any experience with a big time collegiate sports program like football or basketball.  I worked as a tutor for a large Midwestern university's football players for a single semester in the 1970s.  This school was always in contention for the National Championship.  Even though I was a starving grad assistant and the money was very good, I couldn't continue participating in a system which I saw as extremely exploitive.   Most of these young men never sniffed the NFL, never got their college degrees, and certainly never made "connections in business/life through boosters".   When they used up their eligibility and/or were seriously injured, they were literally kicked to the curb.

The NCCA programs are much better now, but accepting a college athletic scholarship to a major Div 1 program is not nearly the ticket to a better life that many people believe except for those few collegiate athlete who become stars. 

• Like (+1) 1

I think that some of this depends on the school.

For instance, Alabama has at least 3 outside linebackers that are VERY good players but have not yet cracked the starting lineup. It would have probably been a mistake for them to declare before they had a chance to fully demonstrate their skills. 

In terms of watching college football. one of my favorite aspects of it is watching kids develop into great players. Maybe we will see more of this with NIL but I don't know.

14 minutes ago, Ya Digg? said:

I don’t know, for me I think these opinions are a bit extreme. Football in particular is weird-the player is always the enemy. Fans root for teams or schools, they never root for players. Think about it just in the Bills who are the enemies? Von and Stef because they got paid and Gabe because he is about to get paid. Most people don’t care about the players at all once they have served their purpose. 

it’s the same thing with college football-Nick Saban left because he lost his stranglehold on college football. He could see the playing field was being leveled and he got out (I think the college portal had a big reason for that as well). 

Pro football and college football seem to be the only places where people continually root for the giant billionaire owners  and mega billion dollar schools and fight against the people who are making those people all of their money 

I get it, players come and go, I am a Sooners and Bills fan. If Diggs is here great, Ill root for him. If not, I root for whoever replaces him. At least at college, you had some semblance of 3-year stability.

NIL needs some universal rules, but I believe the courts just ruled against any significant rules, which just made it Pay for play or Free agency at the College level

• Like (+1) 2
  • Disagree 1

32 minutes ago, SoTier said:

You have obviously not had any experience with a big time collegiate sports program like football or basketball.  I worked as a tutor for a large Midwestern university's football players for a single semester in the 1970s.  This school was always in contention for the National Championship.  Even though I was a starving grad assistant and the money was very good, I couldn't continue participating in a system which I saw as extremely exploitive.   Most of these young men never sniffed the NFL, never got their college degrees, and certainly never made "connections in business/life through boosters".   When they used up their eligibility and/or were seriously injured, they were literally kicked to the curb.

The NCCA programs are much better now, but accepting a college athletic scholarship to a major Div 1 program is not nearly the ticket to a better life that many people believe except for those few collegiate athlete who become stars. 

your assumption is grossly wrong 🤪. and taking about 50 years ago as experience is grossly different than just 15-20 years ago.

i played in a division 1 sport at a MAC school in the early 00's briefly (about 4 months). I was burned out and quit having been playing athletic competitive sports since 8 or 9 years old. i participated with 3 world class athletes on my team and associated with at least 3 future nfl players i can think of on the top of my head.

Your personal views and my personal views were much different and we will have to agree to disagree.

Edited by boyst
  • Agree 1

13 minutes ago, SoonerBillsFan said:

I get it, players come and go, I am a Sooners and Bills fan. If Diggs is here great, Ill root for him. If not, I root for whoever replaces him. At least at college, you had some semblance of 3-year stability.

NIL needs some universal rules, but I believe the courts just ruled against any significant rules, which just made it Pay for play or Free agency at the College level

This is not what NIL involves.   NIL allows to individuals to profit, if they can, from the sale of their names, images, and likenesses.  It's independent of the college, and the NCAA, up until 2021, prohibited this. 

The NCAA still prohibits colleges from paying athletes for playing sports, which would certainly benefit the most popular sports and the biggest schools in those sports to the detriment of less popular sports and smaller programs.   I think that the NCAA's transfer portal is what encourages "free agency at the college level" but that is definitely NOT NIL

33 minutes ago, Bill from NYC said:

I think that some of this depends on the school.

For instance, Alabama has at least 3 outside linebackers that are VERY good players but have not yet cracked the starting lineup. It would have probably been a mistake for them to declare before they had a chance to fully demonstrate their skills. 

In terms of watching college football. one of my favorite aspects of it is watching kids develop into great players. Maybe we will see more of this with NIL but I don't know.

those backup LB's may not be getting NIL deals now or anything specific. however, just 10-20 years ago they would be getting rental cars in someone elses name if they were at all decent or had a chance to impact the program in a year or two. they would be getting perks at local restaurants, bars, movie theatres, etc.

i know 1 player of a division 1 school that got a new rental car every two weeks or so provided by a booster. he went to almost all of his classes and was a top academic performer. this athlete was responsible for taking recruits on tours, which also gave him access to money set aside for them - his meal card always was overflowing. the guy was a backup most of his career and never went pro. by his guess he was able to pull in $20k a year from these perks.

Nope, it's not like they never enter the draft and stay in college for their entire careers.  The talent pool is just delayed, but they will still enter it eventually.  In fact, the talent pool may increase as they will be older, stronger, faster, etc.

Edited by Mark80

NIL was long overdue.  If it keeps kids in college, good for them.  Easier to have a degree in hand then have to go back for it.

Like Curt Flood, Ed O'Bannon will not profit from his legal victory.  But college athletes can no longer be exploited for billions by colleges and the NCAA.  At least now they can get a piece of that pie.

• Like (+1) 1

7 minutes ago, boyst said:

those backup LB's may not be getting NIL deals now or anything specific. however, just 10-20 years ago they would be getting rental cars in someone elses name if they were at all decent or had a chance to impact the program in a year or two. they would be getting perks at local restaurants, bars, movie theatres, etc.

i know 1 player of a division 1 school that got a new rental car every two weeks or so provided by a booster. he went to almost all of his classes and was a top academic performer. this athlete was responsible for taking recruits on tours, which also gave him access to money set aside for them - his meal card always was overflowing. the guy was a backup most of his career and never went pro. by his guess he was able to pull in $20k a year from these perks.

I am almost certain that they are getting paid. The starters that they will be replacing are both going to be early draft picks. One (Dallas turner) might even be in the top 10. 

As I implied above, I doubt that this is the situation at most schools.

53 minutes ago, Buffalo_Stampede said:

That, and he’s 73.

Saban doesn't seem the type to retire the way he did, even at 73.

He seems to me to be the type of guy to win one more Natty and then hang his hat. I think he knew he would never win another CFP with the NIL and transfer portal in effect and decided it was time to walk away.

That is solely my feelings on it, however, i don't think i'm very much wrong on it.

4 minutes ago, Bill from NYC said:

I am almost certain that they are getting paid. The starters that they will be replacing are both going to be early draft picks. One (Dallas turner) might even be in the top 10. 

As I implied above, I doubt that this is the situation at most schools.

Small school boosters support more than you realize. Maybe not as much money or to as many players but I've known of few small school dudes who got some nice kickbacks. 

57 minutes ago, Sweats said:

Saban doesn't seem the type to retire the way he did, even at 73.

He seems to me to be the type of guy to win one more Natty and then hang his hat. I think he knew he would never win another CFP with the NIL and transfer portal in effect and decided it was time to walk away.

That is solely my feelings on it, however, i don't think i'm very much wrong on it.

Typically when I see a college coach get out early they were probably doing something they shouldn’t have been doing. Also, Saban screaming the loudest against NIL always made me suspicious.

6 minutes ago, Cheektowaga Chad said:

Someone with more knowledge of NIL

What is stopping an NFL owner from "paying" college kids? Kind of like a recruiting tool when they get to the NFL 

There's no guarantee that player will end up on his team.  For example why would Pegula pay Marvin Harrison?  No shot that guy ever plays in Buffalo

2 hours ago, SoTier said:

Here's an article to better understand NIL:  NIL

The average length of NFL careers is about 3 years, so the percentage of players from every draft class who actually succeed, much less become long-term starters who make significant money, is tiny.   Many draftees will never make nearly as much in the NFL as they do from capitalizing on NIL while collegians.  This might not be true of first round picks or even most Day 2 picks, but certainly for kids drafted on Day 3.   A lot of Day 3 picks are proverbial "big fish in a small pond" types who aren't going to even make NFL practice squads.

NIL is about the NCAA allowing collegiate athletes the right to earn money off of their images, names or other likenesses, which the NCAA didn't allow until a 2021 court case.   Colleges still cannot pay collegiate athletes for playing sports.   NIL is about individual athletes profiting from their collegiate -- and in some cases, high school -- fame.

BUT...the majority of underclassmen coming out are higher caliber talents than the ones that typically stay in, so the rate of them being selected earlier would be much higher.

11 minutes ago, Cheektowaga Chad said:

Someone with more knowledge of NIL

What is stopping an NFL owner from "paying" college kids? Kind of like a recruiting tool when they get to the NFL 

The rookie salary cap. Basically everybody knows what they are going to get paid at every position in the draft from signing bonus, to total contract value, to guaranteed money.  No negotiating on that...they can negotiate things like offset language, etc, but that's it. It's why you see almost no holdouts anymore of rookies because it's set in stone.  Only ones are fighting over offset language usually.

2 hours ago, boyst said:

Exactly. It is about the individual. Not the sport. Sports will die. Wrestling, track, many men's sports have been destroyed already (title ix bull####).

The individual will prosper if he can be a solid superstar. But the poor kid who is just good enough to get out of the slums to get a half ride playing 3rd TE on FAU, or the kid who busted his ass for grades and sports to be 7th man on the bench at Memphis... They're not going to make money but I sure as ***** know they appreciate the education and scholarships.

I think, beyond these athletes being taxed appropriately, they need to surrender their scholarship for collecting nil.

Mostly sports that nobody cares about.

Edited by Big Turk

1 hour ago, boyst said:

your assumption is grossly wrong 🤪. and taking about 50 years ago as experience is grossly different than just 15-20 years ago.

i played in a division 1 sport at a MAC school in the early 00's briefly (about 4 months). I was burned out and quit having been playing athletic competitive sports since 8 or 9 years old. i participated with 3 world class athletes on my team and associated with at least 3 future nfl players i can think of on the top of my head.

Your personal views and my personal views were much different and we will have to agree to disagree.

Yeah trying to compare the 70s to now might as well be comparing two different sports.

12 minutes ago, Big Turk said:

BUT...the majority of underclassmen coming out are higher caliber talents than the ones that typically stay in, so the rate of them being selected earlier would be much higher.

The rookie salary cap. Basically everybody knows what they are going to get paid at every position in the draft from signing bonus, to total contract value, to guaranteed money.  No negotiating on that...they can negotiate things like offset language, etc, but that's it. It's why you see almost no holdouts anymore of rookies because it's set in stone.  Only ones are fighting over offset language usually.

Mostly sports that nobody cares about.

nobody but the athletes and their familes who compete in the events

7 minutes ago, boyst said:

nobody but the athletes and their familes who compete in the events

That doesn't make money...people who aren't invested have to want to watch it regularly and in large numbers and pay a lot to do it.

1 minute ago, Big Turk said:

That doesn't make money...people who aren't invested have to want to watch it regularly and in large numbers and pay a lot to do it.

not necessarily. sort of.

knew a guy who was from a country outside of the US. the athlete was not in a popular sport (baseball, football, basketball). an alumnus from the same overseas village as the athlete would give him money and presents regularly.

another, was a woman who played the same sport as the athlete 30 years before and had enough money to assist the student athlete with just a little bit, probably guessing it was less than $500/month for lunches and "dinner dates."

1 hour ago, Freddie's Dead said:

NIL was long overdue.  If it keeps kids in college, good for them.  Easier to have a degree in hand then have to go back for it.

Like Curt Flood, Ed O'Bannon will not profit from his legal victory.  But college athletes can no longer be exploited for billions by colleges and the NCAA.  At least now they can get a piece of that pie.

I'd hardly call it "being exploited" when getting a totally "free ride" to a major college. In today's world, the monetary value of the free ride is probably $50-75k per year, and of course there’s always the "off the books" benefits that these athletes get.

• Awesome! (+1) 1

45 minutes ago, Bob Jones said:

I'd hardly call it "being exploited" when getting a totally "free ride" to a major college. In today's world, the monetary value of the free ride is probably $50-75k per year, and of course there’s always the "off the books" benefits that these athletes get.

Perhaps not being exploited, but considering the NCAA and the universities make billions off of the players, it's allowing them to be more fairly compensated for what they are doing for those universities 

• Like (+1) 1

18 hours ago, Big Turk said:

Seems like more and more kids are staying in college instead of declaring early...this year there were only 58 underclassmen who declared for the draft this year. Last year there were 82. In 2019, before the NIL deals were allowed 135 declared...

Caleb Williams reportedly made $10 million in endorsement and NIL deals the past 2 years at USC, meaning overall in his first 4 years in the NFL, he will be taking a slight PAYCUT to play(not factoring in endorsement/commercial deals, which could push him over that). Williams will make a little over $38.5 million over the first 4 years if he is selected #1 overall as he is expected to be. If he doesn't get taken 1st overall, every pick beneath that his money starts to dwindle. If he isn't top 5, he will make under $30 million his first 4 seasons total. 

This is for the #1 player on most boards...now imagine a player who has a good NIL deal that might only be a 2nd or 3rd round pick but is a huge deal in college where he plays...he could easily make more playing college football than he does in the NFL to start out.  Crazy to think about, but NIL deals could be hurting the talent pool in the draft as more kids decide to stay in college. 

https://sports.yahoo.com/report-potential-no-1-nfl-draft-pick-caleb-williams-made-approximately-10-million-in-nil-deals-at-usc-164614055.html

few thoughts, this is good all around to me.  players are atleast in theory getting their education, being compensated fairly, gaining meaningful experience.... gives more tape for scouts to more accurately predict players, who should enter the league better than they wouldve leaving early.

secondly, the real paycut for CW staying last year was waiting 1 more year to get that 2nd contract.

1 hour ago, boyst said:

not necessarily. sort of.

knew a guy who was from a country outside of the US. the athlete was not in a popular sport (baseball, football, basketball). an alumnus from the same overseas village as the athlete would give him money and presents regularly.

another, was a woman who played the same sport as the athlete 30 years before and had enough money to assist the student athlete with just a little bit, probably guessing it was less than $500/month for lunches and "dinner dates."

I'm talking for the schools to keep these programs around.

• Thank you (+1) 1

11 minutes ago, Ya Digg? said:

Perhaps not being exploited, but considering the NCAA and the universities make billions off of the players, it's allowing them to be more fairly compensated for what they are doing for those universities 

I highly doubt that any one school is making a billion dollars, and even if they were, I doubt it could be pinpointed to one (or even a few) player who is responsible for that. IOW, the Alabamas, Ohio States, Norte Dames, et al will ALWAYS sellout their stadiums, have huge merchandise sales, and garner big tv ratings (unless they absolutely stink).

15 minutes ago, Bob Jones said:

I highly doubt that any one school is making a billion dollars, and even if they were, I doubt it could be pinpointed to one (or even a few) player who is responsible for that. IOW, the Alabamas, Ohio States, Norte Dames, et al will ALWAYS sellout their stadiums, have huge merchandise sales, and garner big tv ratings (unless they absolutely stink).

Sorry I should have clarified better-these universities as a whole are making billions off of these guys 

16 minutes ago, Bob Jones said:

Even if they absolutely stink, they are still selling out every game, selling merchandise and getting the massive t.v. ratings.

20 hours ago, fergie's ire said:

At worst, it would only be hurting the talent pool for one year.  Say, for example, all the eligible Jr.'s stay in school this year.  That would hurt the talent pool this year, but next year they would all be coming out,  PLUS they would have one more year of experience.  There would be fewer one year wonders to tempt GMs and then crash and burn.  Seems that long term it would really help the talent pool....now, as for the quality of their poo, I really couldn't say.

Agreed, it is a good short term reset and better for the league in the long run. You still have to be a good  scouting/drafting team but the flash in the pans may diminish.

2 hours ago, Bob Jones said:

We're gonna disagree here.  Many college athletes never even got their degree, but this argument was successfully used for decades to deny the athletes their due.  It also didn't address the vast disparity between the "value" of their education and the amount of money raked in by the colleges and the NCAA.  

• Agree 1
  • Thank you (+1) 2

The first time some excellent college player decides to remain in college to reap his NIL money, and is injured while playing an unnecessary year in college and loses his career, this nonsense will stop.  The players all want the NIL money of course but they grew up dreaming of playing in the NFL.  A player who never makes it to the pros in the first place, is quickly forgotten.  

• Agree 1

17 hours ago, ControllerOfPlanetX said:

If they would inforce the rule that these players are actually students, then more would be declaring for the draft.

i understand that this won't happen, but i'd much rather college sports were pure amateurism with actual students playing the sport and we had some minor league football for the (vast majority) of "student athletes" who are much heavier on the athlete side. 

• Like (+1) 1

17 hours ago, ControllerOfPlanetX said:

If they would inforce the rule that these players are actually students, then more would be declaring for the draft.

Well, the fact is that for decades there's only been a very weak pretense that most college players are students at all.  Some rare exceptions are out there, guys who really do want an education and work hard to get it while still meeting the demanding schedule that players accept.  Most coast through, assisted illegally but acceptably, by the institution that wants to make money from letting them play.  

Look at the schedule for fall semesters.  When are the players even going to be in class to take final exams?  Players who opt for the portal change schools before final exams, and no one thinks that's a problem.  These men are semi-pro athletes, given room and board and now some NIL cash, and most will never play in the NFL.  The NIL money they get won't last long once they're out of school and unprepared for a job.

On 2/28/2024 at 4:47 PM, Ya Digg? said:

Any kid who stays for NIL money who is going to be a top pick is thinking very short sided in my opinion. The sooner you get to your 2nd contract in the NFL the better. Most guys in college won’t make anything near what they will make in the NFL on their first contract. You are also running the risk of getting hurt and hurting your draft stock, which will also end up costing you millions. That’s why the whole Caleb Williams might stay (and every guy before and after him who is projected to go #1) is so utterly laughable-it will never happen

A small fraction of the kids who get drafted will be making a second NFL contract. An even smaller amount will turn that second contract into a payday. Most of them will get 1 or 2 year deals. It's only short-sighted if you know for a fact that they'll be a star and not get injured or be a bust, which is impossible to tell.

Edited by BullBuchanan
  • Like (+1) 1

11 minutes ago, BullBuchanan said:

A small fraction of the kids who get drafted will be making a second NFL contract. An even smaller amount will turn that second contract into a payday. Most of them will get 1 or 2 year deals. It's only short-sighted if you know for a fact that they'll be a star and not get injured or be a bust, which is impossible to tell.

Outside of someone like Tim Tebow or Johnny Manziel, what other players would make significantly more money by staying in college with a NIL as opposed to going pro?

6 minutes ago, Ya Digg? said:

Outside of someone like Tim Tebow or Johnny Manziel, what other players would make significantly more money by staying in college with a NIL as opposed to going pro?

It's not an either/or situation. They're going to get both, just delayed by a year. It's far easier to be elite in college than it is in the pros.

Edited by BullBuchanan
  • Thank you (+1) 1

1 minute ago, BullBuchanan said:

It's not an either/or situation. They're going to get both, just delayed by a year. It's far easier to be elite in college than it is in the pros.

That's very true it's not, but in terms of one year, are there really going to be players who make more than from their first NFL contract?  Even up to the 4th round a rookie is making over a million dollars a year.  There aren't very many players (if any at all) who would be taken in the 5th round or later who would make $1.5 mil in NIL deals in college

On 2/29/2024 at 9:16 AM, Bob Jones said:

It's pretty much why Nick Saban quit coaching. IMHO, NIL money is not good for college sports, not good at all.

Nick Saban quit because he couldn't control the NCAA like he used to. Mark Emmert stepping down and "legal bags" as they were called at the start of NIL meant he no longer could cry foul when other schools with big time financial boosters could provide kids the opportunity to make money at home and not the illegal cars and cash bags from Bama. The SEC is notoriously dirty for it and once it became legal for a kid to make money of their name it evened the playing field to an extent. It allowed Miami to keep a ton of Florida kids at home where they would have all left for money at Bama, OSU, etc.

On 2/29/2024 at 9:48 AM, SoTier said:

On 2/29/2024 at 9:52 AM, SoonerBillsFan said:

They have rules in the sense that the school doesn't pay the kid directly, it's all from outside sources. For instance the American Top Team MMA gym has an NIL deal in place with UM athletics, they just have to do promotion on social media. The injunction just allows schools to recruit kids with potential NIL deals upfront instead of once they are signed

2 minutes ago, Monty98 said:

Nick Saban quit because he couldn't control the NCAA like he used to. Mark Emmert stepping down and "legal bags" as they were called at the start of NIL meant he no longer could cry foul when other schools with big time financial boosters could provide kids the opportunity to make money at home and not the illegal cars and cash bags from Bama

Right. It had absolutely nothing to do with the fact that he already won seven National Titles and is 72 years old.

Did he need the money? No, because he owns a 17.5 million dollar house, two Mercedes Benz dealerships, a Ferrari dealership, and a hotel. That doesn't matter either.

His wife has been patient for decades with Nick being away from home while constantly recruiting and working 16 hour days. Now he is a grandfather and would finally like to spend more time with his family. That makes no difference, right? 

The jealousy folks have and exhibit towards Coach Saban and The University of Alabama Crimson Tide never ceases to amaze me. Imagine how great it would it be for you if your favorite team and their coach was even fractionally as tremendous as Saban and the Tide!

• Awesome! (+1) 2