Chuck Dickerson dead at 86

gomper

6 hours ago, RiotAct said:

you never know how that game would have went if we had started Flutie.

In all likelihood we would have lost by more. Flutie was straight garbage in 1999. That Titans defense was no joke

• Like (+1) 2
  • Disagree 1
  • Agree 2
  • Dislike 1

Chuck Dickerson was entertaining like professional wrestling and made sports talk radio on WGR 550 something you wanted to listen to when you were stuck in your car in traffic. That is what too many people today don’t understand today. They take themselves too seriously and it is boring to watch or listen to or to be around. This current generation are the most boring non fun generation in my life time of 56 years and counting. WGR 550 is unlistenable the entire station have boring people that aren’t going anywhere in their radio careers because they are boring to listen to but there too dumb to understand that and think there good. Think Sean McDermott and Brandon Beane yes they win games but they are very boring people personality wise and can only get you to a certain level. And no I wouldn’t want to go to dinner or share stories with Sean McDermott or Brandon Beane because they would tell you nothing and are incredibly boring people add Terry Pegula to that list of incredibly boring people. Regardless of how successful and how much money they have they are boring. Professional wrestling today is very boring it’s a reflection on our society of no fun people. Rest in peace Chuck Dickerson you were entertaining and fun. That is what life should be about once in a while. Far too many people today don’t get that and I stay far away from those people in my opinion. Go Bills! Let’s Go Buffalo 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Eyeroll 1
  • Agree 1
  • Thank you (+1) 2

18 hours ago, BADOLBILZ said:

Dickerson was indeed hard on Marv but the idea that he betrayed the locker room is just made up nonsense from Tasker..........who specializes in spewing nonsense.   Dickerson had his fans in the locker room and he had his players that he loved and loved him.   He kept a normal amount of heat on the local NFL team.    Also.....Tasker is SO BAD at radio.........he somehow manages to make it clear that he's an ah*le away from work while also being a rambling, boring, uninsightful analyst with terrible recollection.:lol:

I agree that Tasker is "so bad at radio." He has a horrible command of the english language, and he, like so many others, can't speak four sentences without saying "you know" three times! I find myself listening to WGR less and less, mostly because of these very reasons. In my opinion, the level of professionalism on many local stations is very low. You don't here people like Jim Rome uttering "you know" on a regular basis.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Disagree 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

5 hours ago, Buffalo Super Fan said:

Chuck Dickerson was entertaining like professional wrestling and made sports talk radio on WGR 550 something you wanted to listen to when you were stuck in your car in traffic. That is what too many people today don’t understand today. They take themselves too seriously and it is boring to watch or listen to or to be around. This current generation are the most boring non fun generation in my life time of 56 years and counting. WGR 550 is unlistenable the entire station have boring people that aren’t going anywhere in their radio careers because they are boring to listen to but there too dumb to understand that and think there good. Think Sean McDermott and Brandon Beane yes they win games but they are very boring people personality wise and can only get you to a certain level. And no I wouldn’t want to go to dinner or share stories with Sean McDermott or Brandon Beane because they would tell you nothing and are incredibly boring people add Terry Pegula to that list of incredibly boring people. Regardless of how successful and how much money they have they are boring. Professional wrestling today is very boring it’s a reflection on our society of no fun people. Rest in peace Chuck Dickerson you were entertaining and fun. That is what life should be about once in a while. Far too many people today don’t get that and I stay far away from those people in my opinion. Go Bills! Let’s Go Buffalo 

I disagree with you on going to dinner with McDermott or Beane - I would love to do that.  

But, going to dinner with  Coach Dickerson would be even more entertaining and fun I think!

On 3/2/2024 at 11:50 AM, harv shitz said:

You can blast the decision to bench Flutie for Johnson all you want, but when Johnson played the week before against the Colts, it was the best the offense looked all season. The team won that year because of a great defense, and won in spite of Flutie, NOT because of him. Johnson led a great drive down the field to win the game, and converted a huge play with one shoe off! Lack of discipline on the kickoff, nobody stayed in their lanes, and getting boned on a no call on a clear forward lateral, cost the game. Benching Flutie had nothing to do with it.

In the Titans playoff game, Johnson was 10 for 22 for 130 yards passing with SIX sacks. He fumbled twice in the game including once for a safety. Johnson did enough to win on the last drive and I give him credit for his perseverance but he was average to crap in that game. Even at half time the TV hosts like Steve Young were calling for him to be pulled. Yet we should have won that game because just like all of that 99 season, Wade had the defense playing well and they contained Mcnair and George. But just like 13 seconds the Bills found an improbable way to lose.

For the record Johnson looked great against Indy the week before in a game where the Colts didnt show up but that was only his 2nd game of the season! No team and coach in their right minds would bench a starter (Flutie) of a team that was 11-5 in a regular season for a cold unused backup on the off chance that they would be better than the starter for a playoff game. Even had Johnson won that game it was still an incredibly bad choice to bench Flutie and there was a good chance that the decision threw the whole team off. There was also a good chance that Flutie would be back as the starter the next week due to Johnson's mediocrity. Absolutely unprofessional and bush league for Ralph to interfere and force that decision and gutless of Wade to allow it. But in the end very Billsy.

Edited by Livinginthepast
  • Disagree 1
  • Agree 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

28 minutes ago, Livinginthepast said:

In the Titans playoff game, Johnson was 10 for 22 for 130 yards passing with SIX sacks. He fumbled twice in the game including once for a safety. Johnson did enough to win on the last drive and I give him credit for his perseverance but he was average to crap in that game. Even at half time the TV hosts like Steve Young were calling for him to be pulled. Yet we should have won that game because just like all of that 99 season, Wade had the defense playing well and they contained Mcnair and George. But just like 13 seconds the Bills found an improbable way to lose.

For the record Johnson looked great against Indy the week before in a game where the Colts didnt show up but that was only his 2nd game of the season! No team and coach in their right minds would bench a starter (Flutie) of a team that was 11-5 in a regular season for a cold unused backup on the off chance that they would be better than the starter for a playoff game. Even had Johnson won that game it was still an incredibly bad choice to bench Flutie and there was a good chance that the decision threw the whole team off. There was also a good chance that Flutie would be back as the starter the next week due to Johnson's mediocrity. Absolutely unprofessional and bush league for Ralph to interfere and force that decision and gutless of Wade to allow it. But in the end very Billsy.

Agree 100%.  That should have been our year to go to if not win the Super Bowl.  The Titans went on to get within 1 yard of beating the greatest show on turf. Our defense was better.  We could have won that game or at least be the only team to lose 5 Super Bowls.

Rob Johnson sucked but at least he did get Tampa Bay over the sub 40 degree jinx without getting his team in the EZ.

No one will ever convince me we don't win that game with America's favorite midget under center.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

I was actually impressed with Schopp the dope talking about Chuck and the memories he had. Talk about polar opposites. 

I loved listening to Chuck on the radio. Porky Parker was an easy mark. He stunk. Did he have some misdeeds? Sure. But he was entertaining as hell in drive time. RIP Chuck. Who loves ya baby!

11 hours ago, beerme1 said:

I was actually impressed with Schopp the dope talking about Chuck and the memories he had. Talk about polar opposites. 

I loved listening to Chuck on the radio. Porky Parker was an easy mark. He stunk. Did he have some misdeeds? Sure. But he was entertaining as hell in drive time. RIP Chuck. Who loves ya baby!

Ironic because when Schoop was at WNSA they had their “sports talk for smart people” mantra, which was probably aimed at loudmouth Dickerson. 

Edited by LabattBlue

13 hours ago, beerme1 said:

I don’t know about POLAR opposites… I’d venture that Chris Brown and Maddy Glab would be the polar opposite of Coach Dickerson :)

On 3/2/2024 at 11:50 AM, harv shitz said:

You can blast the decision to bench Flutie for Johnson all you want, but when Johnson played the week before against the Colts, it was the best the offense looked all season. The team won that year because of a great defense, and won in spite of Flutie, NOT because of him. Johnson led a great drive down the field to win the game, and converted a huge play with one shoe off! Lack of discipline on the kickoff, nobody stayed in their lanes, and getting boned on a no call on a clear forward lateral, cost the game. Benching Flutie had nothing to do with it.

Wow winning the last week in a game that meant nothing for either team and then 57 minutes of maybe the worst football ever in you're defending him?

Oh yeah and you really proved themselves after you signed the contract as well.

Any competent qb'ing that day and the bills would have won by 20.

20 hours ago, beerme1 said:

was this today?  I’m going to go back and listen

1 hour ago, Billsfan1972 said:

Wow winning the last week in a game that meant nothing for either team and then 57 minutes of maybe the worst football ever in you're defending him?

Oh yeah and you really proved themselves after you signed the contract as well.

Any competent qb'ing that day and the bills would have won by 20.

And Flutie was far from competent at the end of the 1999 season. Under Flutie we scored 19.6 yards a game which wouldn't be enough against the 22 the Titans scored in the playoffs game. Here are Flutie's last 4 games.

22/40 220 yards 1 TD 2 INT 1 FL 2 sacks

15/32 184 yards 1 TD  1 INT 1 FL 3 sacks

21/32 239 yards 2 TD 2 INT 0 FL 2 sacks

22/35 212 yards 0 TD 0 INT 0 FL 3 sacks

Oh and just a comparison Flutie's game vs the Colts in Week 1 vs RJs in Week 17. For those that feel the Colts weren't playing anything, they had a chance at the number 1 seed in the Conference had they won. 

22/42 300 yards 1 TD 2 INT 1 FL 5 sacks

24/32 287 yards 2 TD 0 INT 0 FL 0 sacks

Edited by The Jokeman
  • Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, JohnNord said:

was this today?  I’m going to go back and listen

No I think it was last Thursday or Friday. It was just him, no bullfrog. It was the day after it was announced his which was weird because I then read he died a couple of weeks ago. Why that info was delayed is weird for whatever reason. Schopp actually sounded like he cared.

On 3/4/2024 at 8:34 PM, The Jokeman said:

And Flutie was far from competent at the end of the 1999 season. Under Flutie we scored 19.6 yards a game which wouldn't be enough against the 22 the Titans scored in the playoffs game. Here are Flutie's last 4 games.

22/40 220 yards 1 TD 2 INT 1 FL 2 sacks

15/32 184 yards 1 TD  1 INT 1 FL 3 sacks

21/32 239 yards 2 TD 2 INT 0 FL 2 sacks

22/35 212 yards 0 TD 0 INT 0 FL 3 sacks

Oh and just a comparison Flutie's game vs the Colts in Week 1 vs RJs in Week 17. For those that feel the Colts weren't playing anything, they had a chance at the number 1 seed in the Conference had they won. 

22/42 300 yards 1 TD 2 INT 1 FL 5 sacks

24/32 287 yards 2 TD 0 INT 0 FL 0 sacks

Really we're going to rehash this?  Johson's performance vs. the Titans was putrid.  Any coach would have had him pulled at halftime (or earlier) for the QB who started the entire year.

https://www.pro-football-reference.com/boxscores/200001080oti.htm

Review the play by play.  Bills were down 12-0 @ half, He had been sacked 4-5 times, fumbled and lost it and sacked for a safety.

1 hour ago, Billsfan1972 said:

Really we're going to rehash this?  Johson's performance vs. the Titans was putrid.  Any coach would have had him pulled at halftime (or earlier) for the QB who started the entire year.

https://www.pro-football-reference.com/boxscores/200001080oti.htm

Review the play by play.  Bills were down 12-0 @ half, He had been sacked 4-5 times, fumbled and lost it and sacked for a safety.

and tell me if we win that game do you clamor that Flutie should have started? Because when RJ finished things on the field and Christie made that FG we were ahead. Is RJ's fault we gave up the kick off return for the TD? Or does the win all that counts? because that's all I ever heard from Flutie fans is that he just wins, it doesn't matter how ugly. He was a glorified game manager and there's no way he would have outscored that Rams offense as their defense was one of the better in the league. 

Edited by The Jokeman
  • Like (+1) 1

59 minutes ago, The Jokeman said:

and tell me if we win that game do you clamor that Flutie should have started? Because when RJ finished things on the field and Christie made that FG we were ahead. Is RJ's fault we gave up the kick off return for the TD? Or does the win all that counts? because that's all I ever heard from Flutie fans is that he just wins, it doesn't matter how ugly. He was a glorified game manager and there's no way he would have outscored that Rams offense as their defense was one of the better in the league. 

Again the only reason the Bills didn't dominate and win by 20, was Johnson being beyond bad the entire game.  One of the worst playoff qb'ing performances I ever watched.

On 2/29/2024 at 2:01 PM, Big Turk said:

He definitely did the Bills no favors in their 2nd Super Bowl in his pre-game interviews by calling out the Hogs, making pig sounds and saying they should be wearing ballerina outfits.

Comments or not, the Bills weren’t beating Washington then.  Big physical offensive lines were the Bills kryptonite in those days