Sopranos Finale- Yay or nay?

Another Fan

Mimicking a thread @BillsPride12 did about the Seinfeld finale.

I only delved into this series recently and finished it.  That being said it felt kind of near impossible not to at least have an idea of what happened at the last scene.  I definitely recall people feeling let down by it at the time.  

That said it still didn’t ruin for me.  I got into the series and yeah when the final scene came along and the Journey song was going my arms literally went in the air as if to say WTF.  

But I’ve read online fans that thought it was the perfect finale.

Since I’m assuming most people that watched it years ago in the past already, what’d you think? 

Edited by Another Fan

• Another Fan changed the title to Sopranos Finale- Yay or nay?

Popular opinion is nay, I think.

I say yea because Tony himself says in the beginning of the series *SPOILER* that the only way out for guys like him is prison or death. There wasn't gonna be an ending that validated everyone's sympathies for the psychopathic main character. At least not one that was consistent with the rest of the series.

• Like (+1) 1

I thought it was brilliant.  I didn't need to see Tony get his brains blown out in front of his family for closure.

Let's face it.  There were only 3 options.  1) He dies 2) Carlo testifies and he goes to prison 3) He lives and somehow gets out of legal trouble. 

He was always going to behave like the Tony we watched for the 6 seasons. He had his chance through the insight he gained into himself from therapy but he chose to weaponize that knowledge instead. 

Chase left it up to the viewer to interpret.  I always loved that he treated his audience as intelligent, discerning adults.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

It was an amazing ending. Hugely influential in all prestige TV and a lot of cinema that came after it.

It marked the end of the "give the audience a definitive, happy ending that leaves every question answered" era and ushered in the era of ambiguous endings that let the viewer have some ownership over and interpretation of them.

That said, it also wasn't THAT ambiguous. It's pretty clear what happened.

As others have said, you can't always have happy endings in the era of the anti-hero. Why should someone like Tony Soprano get a happy ending?

Mark me down as someone who really liked the way it ended. Then again, I thought the way Seinfeld ended was perfect, too, so...

I hated it, yeah I can interpret what I want, but that to me seems like lazy writing. They (the writers) were telling a story, an entertaining one and decided not to finish it imo. I didnt need some lady and the tiger bs

I fall somewhere in the middle...I didn't hate it as much as some people did but I don't think it was some amazing piece of television history either.  I also think it's so hard for these big TV series finales to live up to the hype and often times they don't.  My favorite series finale for any TV show is probably The Wonder Years and that was handled as simplistic as could be and it was still great.  

• Like (+1) 2

Never watched the show but this may be of interest to most of you....

https://www.thrillist.com/news/nation/sopranos-booth-holstens-final-scene-ebay-auction

With the right amount of cash and a sprinkle of luck, you'll now be able to sit like Tony Soprano without heading over to Bloomfield, New Jersey. Basically, you'll be able to sit like Tony in your own house—or office, or wherever else you'd decide to place the famous booth that is now at Holsten's in Bloomfield, where the last scene of the iconic hit show The Sopranos was filmed.

Auction link

https://www.ebay.com/itm/335280064819

25 minutes ago, Bill from NYC said:

You never watched the show? You are lucky because doing so will provide you with hours of enjoyment, or so I think.

Btw, I never watched Star Wars. :) 

I've got a lot of other shows I watch, according to my TV tracker app, I'm over 300 episodes behind all the shows I watch.  

• Like (+1) 1

I thought it was terrible.  Unpopular opinion, but I thought the show was sloppy and unfulfilling for the final 4 seasons, while the first 2 seasons were fantastic and worthy of the acclaim the show receives.    I only hung on through the finals seasons wondering what was going to happen at the conclusion.  Then to see a blank screen made me feel like I got hit with a pie in the face.  I hear all the breakdowns with how the perceptions changed in a certain order, and what Tony said earlier in the season and all... but that doesn't make me feel much better.  

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, May Day 10 said:

I thought it was terrible.  Unpopular opinion, but I thought the show was sloppy and unfulfilling for the final 4 seasons, while the first 2 seasons were fantastic and worthy of the acclaim the show receives.    I only hung on through the finals seasons wondering what was going to happen at the conclusion.  Then to see a blank screen made me feel like I got hit with a pie in the face.  I hear all the breakdowns with how the perceptions changed in a certain order, and what Tony said earlier in the season and all... but that doesn't make me feel much better.  

I thought after what happened to Adriana is when it went a little down hill.  

The last scene I wasn’t a fan of but the last couple shows I thought were only okay.  

Re-Re-Re-Rewatching the series right now.

Up until the last time I watched it, I chose to believe Tony lived and just kept being himself.  After reading an older thread on here and some of Chases interviews, especially in the last year, I now watch fully knowing he gets killed. Makes it a bit more interesting as he keeps being Tony and how his excess was his downfall.

Still have affection for the character, but am now able to see the fatal flaws I missed, or chose to ignore.

Also, I do believe Paulie had a hand in him getting wacked for sure.

I definitely hated it at the time watching it live. 

But years later, it makes alot of sense after watching it a few times. 

The scene where Tony and Bobby are talking about not hearing it when it happens speaks volumes after watching the finale.