Pit Bulls are so cuddly!!! Breed more of them.

BringBackFergy

Neighbor two doors down has one. It jumped through a screen, out a second story window, to murder a smaller dog that was being walked past the house on the public sidewalk.  Totally normal behavior.  Owner is a nice guy. Captain of the local fire department. Dog is psychotic.  Picture that for a moment, you're walking your totally normal dog on a totally normal day and suddenly a huge crazed dog comes flying out a second story window and murders your dog right in front of you.  

In my state the dog gets to live if it does that.  The owner has to register it as a dangerous animal, pay a $500 annual fee, and not let it outside without a leash and muzzle.  Keep in mind, this thing YEETED itself out a window already, but inside is good enough.  Walkies outside are still ok so long as it's muzzled, which the owner doesn't do.  No signage warning the general public about the dog either.  Sidewalk in front and a public trail in the back.  In short, lots of people, dogs, and kids can and do walk past the house. Zero warning that a 100 pound death machine lives there.  Seems totally ok.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Shocked 1

1 hour ago, That's No Moon said:

Neighbor two doors down has one. It jumped through a screen, out a second story window, to murder a smaller dog that was being walked past the house on the public sidewalk.  Totally normal behavior.  Owner is a nice guy. Captain of the local fire department. Dog is psychotic.  Picture that for a moment, you're walking your totally normal dog on a totally normal day and suddenly a huge crazed dog comes flying out a second story window and murders your dog right in front of you.  

In my state the dog gets to live if it does that.  The owner has to register it as a dangerous animal, pay a $500 annual fee, and not let it outside without a leash and muzzle.  Keep in mind, this thing YEETED itself out a window already, but inside is good enough.  Walkies outside are still ok so long as it's muzzled, which the owner doesn't do.  No signage warning the general public about the dog either.  Sidewalk in front and a public trail in the back.  In short, lots of people, dogs, and kids can and do walk past the house. Zero warning that a 100 pound death machine lives there.  Seems totally ok.

They were bred that way. Killing machines. 

• Agree 2

1 minute ago, LewPort71 said:

8 pounds  of terror.

This was after biting the vet.

wendy at vet 2024 2.jpg

Nasty temperaments for sure.

But several orders of magnitude less likely to kill someone.

• Like (+1) 1

I never have to worry about my Goldens around the grandkids. I wouldn’t let them in the same room with a Pit Bull. I won’t take an unnecessary risk with what is most precious to me.  

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 4

Raising pit bulls for sale? Aren't there enough cuddly pit bulls to adopt at the shelters?

10 hours ago, qwksilver said:

Glad I could help such a F$#8ing stupid topic.

As you can see, this is on OTW. Right where this topic belongs.

"They should all be destroyed." - Robert Muldoon

They're banned in the county where I live, yet they're all you see.  I take a machete with me whenever I'm outside with my kids, as I won't chance a thing.  

I don't dislike dogs, but I never worry having my kids around our 3 cats.  

• Like (+1) 2

10 hours ago, BringBackFergy said:

They were bred that way. Killing machines. 

Yeah I feel bad for the dogs, it's not their fault, and I'm sure there's plenty of times they're sweet nice dogs, but it is just unavoidable that they were breed and created to be dangerous. It's also annoying that they've also become completely bled out through the mixed breed stray population. Seems like whenever your looking up young dogs at the local pound it's always a pit mix or it's at the end of the list or they always look a little familiar.

Edited by Warcodered
  • Agree 3

59 minutes ago, Chicken Boo said:

They're banned in the county where I live, yet they're all you see.  I take a machete with me whenever I'm outside with my kids, as I won't chance a thing.  

At first I read "county" as "country" and found the contrast between a country saying "we're going to ban pit bulls" and "you see, around here people just carry machetes" really funny.

• Haha (+1) 1

Dogs, like people, are individuals with different temperaments and personalities.  Some are stubborn, some are very smart, some are possessive, etc.  Most dogs in the US are the descendants of dogs purposely bred to do certain jobs, and that human intervention in their ancestry often shapes their behaviors.   Some of the traits that are useful for a breed's original purpose can make a dog a difficult pet when they no longer have real jobs.  Working dogs like border collies and aussie shepherds, etc are notorious for getting into trouble because of their high energy.   Small terriers can sometimes be aggressive because they were originally used to hunt rats and mice around homes and farm buildings. 

More importantly, when some breeds become popular, puppy mills and backyard breeders get into the mix and frequently fail to breed for good temperaments.  If the dog is the right "look" or size or color, they breed that dog to make money.   People tolerate small dogs like dachshunds and chihauhuas that have bad temperaments.  They don't tolerate bad temperaments in large dogs, however,  Great Danes, Newfies, and Leonbergers are among the gentlest of dogs.  Unfortunately for pit bulls (officially American Staffordshire Terriers), their strength, tenacity, and loyalty attracted criminal elements involved in dog fighting and drug trafficking back in the 1980s, and the breed became synonymous with viciousness.

It's important to keep in mind, however, these facts:

• All dogs have a prey drive, some significantly stronger than others.  Even golden doodles can chase and attack what they perceive as prey, especially small furry things like cats and smaller dogs but sometimes small running children.
  • All dogs are territorial, again some individuals more than others.   They also express their territoriality in different ways, most notably by barking at intruders to their space, but jumping at windows and fences are common, too.
  • Dogs are pack animals.   They need a "family".  Most dogs, especially in one dog households, bond to their humans.  In multi-dog households, the dogs bond to each other as well as to their humans.  Dogs that regularly go to dog parks or are walked often with the same group of dogs may form packs with their besties.   Like teenagers, alone each is good but two or three or four together can breed real trouble.  The same with dogs in a pack.
  • Any dog that's mistreated or frightened or "mistrained" can bite or maul a person.   All breeds have a range of temperaments, too.   How a dog is raised and treated has much more to do with its behavior than its breed.

It's the responsibility of owners to train and socialize their dogs to make them good citizens.   Dogs need to respond to basic commands.  They need to come when called, walk on a leash, not jump up on visitors etc.   Socializing dogs gets them used to dealing with other people, other dogs, new situations, etc so that they behave in situations outside their homes or yards.   Not all dogs have temperaments or personalities that enable them to go to dog parks or doggie day care, but they still need to have some  new experiences.   Keeping dogs locked in a yard or tied on a leash, and only taking them to the vet maybe once a year can reinforce territoriality, pack mentality and fear aggression. 

• Thank you (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, SoTier said:

Dogs, like people, are individuals with different temperaments and personalities.  Some are stubborn, some are very smart, some are possessive, etc.  Most dogs in the US are the descendants of dogs purposely bred to do certain jobs, and that human intervention in their ancestry often shapes their behaviors.   Some of the traits that are useful for a breed's original purpose can make a dog a difficult pet when they no longer have real jobs.  Working dogs like border collies and aussie shepherds, etc are notorious for getting into trouble because of their high energy.   Small terriers can sometimes be aggressive because they were originally used to hunt rats and mice around homes and farm buildings. 

More importantly, when some breeds become popular, puppy mills and backyard breeders get into the mix and frequently fail to breed for good temperaments.  If the dog is the right "look" or size or color, they breed that dog to make money.   People tolerate small dogs like dachshunds and chihauhuas that have bad temperaments.  They don't tolerate bad temperaments in large dogs, however,  Great Danes, Newfies, and Leonbergers are among the gentlest of dogs.  Unfortunately for pit bulls (officially American Staffordshire Terriers), their strength, tenacity, and loyalty attracted criminal elements involved in dog fighting and drug trafficking back in the 1980s, and the breed became synonymous with viciousness.

• All dogs have a prey drive, some significantly stronger than others.  Even golden doodles can chase and attack what they perceive as prey, especially small furry things like cats and smaller dogs but sometimes small running children.
  • All dogs are territorial, again some individuals more than others.   They also express their territoriality in different ways, most notably by barking at intruders to their space, but jumping at windows and fences are common, too.
  • Dogs are pack animals.   They need a "family".  Most dogs, especially in one dog households, bond to their humans.  In multi-dog households, the dogs bond to each other as well as to their humans.  Dogs that regularly go to dog parks or are walked often with the same group of dogs may form packs with their besties.   Like teenagers, alone each is good but two or three or four together can breed real trouble.  The same with dogs in a pack.
  • Any dog that's mistreated or frightened or "mistrained" can bite or maul a person.   All breeds have a range of temperaments, too.   How a dog is raised and treated has much more to do with its behavior than its breed.

It's the responsibility of owners to train and socialize their dogs to make them good citizens.   Dogs need to respond to basic commands.  They need to come when called, walk on a leash, not jump up on visitors etc.   Socializing dogs gets them used to dealing with other people, other dogs, new situations, etc so that they behave in situations outside their homes or yards.   Not all dogs have temperaments or personalities that enable them to go to dog parks or doggie day care, but they still need to have some  new experiences.   Keeping dogs locked in a yard or tied on a leash, and only taking them to the vet maybe once a year can reinforce territoriality, pack mentality and fear aggression. 

So we agree. A pit bull's job is to murder other things, like a collie's job is to herd. They were bred to be aggressive and to kill other things. Things like other large dogs and people. When you take away its job, it becomes problematic. It still has blood lust and a screw loose. It's still a physical specimen of an animal that is fully capable of killing a person. Unlike a Jack Russell Terrier who was also bred to kill things. Most humans can punt a Jack Russell about 40 yards. Pits aren't the only dogs with this issue, but they are the most popular, the most poorly bred, and the least removed from their violence. I wouldn't want a 15th century Mastiff hanging around either, but they've had a good period of time where they haven't been specifically bred to hellspawn so it's less of an issue. Pits are still in that breeding for violence phase and it leaks out into the general population of pits and put mixes.

I don't really care what the breed used to be. That's what it is now.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 2
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Dislike 1

6 hours ago, Chicken Boo said:

I have thought about carrying wasp spray around when I go on bike rides or walks, especially with my kids. Always see a random Pit bull or Rottweiler that seems ready to head into the street. 

3 hours ago, That's No Moon said:

So we agree. A pit bull's job is to murder other things, like a collie's job is to herd. They were bred to be aggressive and to kill other things. Things like other large dogs and people. When you take away its job, it becomes problematic. It still has blood lust and a screw loose. It's still a physical specimen of an animal that is fully capable of killing a person. Unlike a Jack Russell Terrier who was also bred to kill things. Most humans can punt a Jack Russell about 40 yards. Pits aren't the only dogs with this issue, but they are the most popular, the most poorly bred, and the least removed from their violence. I wouldn't want a 15th century Mastiff hanging around either, but they've had a good period of time where they haven't been specifically bred to hellspawn so it's less of an issue. Pits are still in that breeding for violence phase and it leaks out into the general population of pits and put mixes.

I don't really care what the breed used to be. That's what it is now.

I'm glad you brought up mastiffs because they seem to be the favorite "guard dog" of new generation of sickos and/or criminals seeking to weaponize dogs.   Lots of dog breeds have less than ideal temperaments, but it's the owners/handlers/supposed trainers who make individual dogs dangerous by their mistreatment. 

6 hours ago, Chicken Boo said:

I look at a lot of real estate and almost all condos and some HOA’s have restrictions on pets. It’s usually yes/no on cats and dogs, with quantity and size restrictions. More recently I’ve been seeing “Breed” under restrictions. How do they even plan to enforce that? Do you need a 23 And Me style DNA test? How much is too much? I get the sentiment, but how in the world do they plan to enforce that? 

I used to work with a guy who I thought was “normal”, until I saw the sinister look on his face when he said “I like to see the fear in a grown man’s eyes when I show up with my dog.”  There was something spooky about that look, and it changed my impression of him. 

Edited by Augie

5 hours ago, SoTier said:

There is no training or socializing that will prevent a pit bill from being triggered to kill. 

It is in their DNA. They can’t stop it and neither can the best dog owner. 

Edited by Gugny
  • Agree 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1