Looks like Baker Mayfield to become FA

Gregg

3 hours ago, Pine Barrens Mafia said:

Captain mediocrity

Career record of 17-4 with a career QB rating of 111, and 44-15 TD to INT. If that's mediocrity,  sign me up.  Especially for a 2nd year QB.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

12 hours ago, dma0034 said:

He's inconsistent. His deep ball is good and obviously the rushing ability. He struggles with short and middle throwing. I think you get him to a QB guru and he's easily a top 15 QB

“”Easily a top 15 QB”

I could be mistaken, but I don’t think you want to pay a guy whose ceiling is perceived as “top 15 QB”.  

That’s probably not the path to a championship

In a way he is just a guy, but he did a lot of good for the Bucs.  Living in Tampa for 30 years I’m very fond of the Bucs.  I say this every time, but I’ll die bleeding red, white, and royal blue.  With that said, I’ve come to root for the Bucs in the NFC.

I believe the Bucs are just playing the negotiating game with Mayfield.  I truly believe they will make some offer at some point.  He’s good for the Bucs, and he had probably his best year.

13 hours ago, cle23 said:

Career record of 17-4 with a career QB rating of 111, and 44-15 TD to INT. If that's mediocrity,  sign me up.  Especially for a 2nd year QB.

Cool, let's see him do that on a team like, say, the Jets.

The man is the beneficiary of the most talented offense in the league, a HOF RB, and a coach that made Matt Ryan look like a football god

2 hours ago, Pine Barrens Mafia said:

The man is the beneficiary of the most talented offense in the league, a HOF RB, and a coach that made Matt Ryan look like a football god

That's not fair though.  Josh Allen wouldn't look like Josh Allen on the Jets either.  He'd still be very good, but he wouldn't be as good as he is now.  

Purdy definitely benefits from a good offense, but he himself is very good too.

• Disagree 2

2 hours ago, cle23 said:

That's not fair though.  Josh Allen wouldn't look like Josh Allen on the Jets either.  He'd still be very good, but he wouldn't be as good as he is now.  

Purdy definitely benefits from a good offense, but he himself is very good too.

That's nuts. Purdy doesn't have the physical gifts to overcome a lack of talent around him. Mediocre arm strength, not great size.

• Agree 1

On 2/22/2024 at 2:45 PM, Pine Barrens Mafia said:

That's nuts. Purdy doesn't have the physical gifts to overcome a lack of talent around him. Mediocre arm strength, not great size.

You're just making stuff up at this point.  Yes, Purdy isn't 6'5" 240, but he is 6'1" and 220.  Again, not many are like Allen.  Not everyone has a rocket arm.  And that's ok.  Plenty of top tier QBs didn't have elite arm strength.  Plus, Shanahan's offense doesn't ask a quarterback to throw down field non stop.  He asks for more timing, crossing routes, which Purdy is excellent at.  

Purdy is a bit of a system QB, but to act like ANY QB can be a system QB is insane.  Lance was gabage in the offense. Garrapolo wasn't much better.  Suddenly, Purdy comes in and the offense takes off but has nothing to do with him?

Edited by cle23
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 2

If Baker likes living in Florida maybe his agent should check out the Finns. I think they'd be better off paying Baker than Tua. At least he wouldn't continuously underthrow Hill and Waddle. Probably much sturdier than Tua as well.

Not happening but if I were a Finnfan I'd rather have Baker.

• Agree 2

On 2/20/2024 at 9:29 AM, BBFL said:

If the Pats and Jets beat us with rough QB play I’d rather he stays out of the division. Guy looked pretty competent and played very well last season. That could be a flash in the pan year but he’s certainly shown the substance to be a starter in this league. A competent one who can win games at that. 

Feel there will be several teams reaching out to his agent for his services, those two you mentioned would have to be included. 

We had trouble with the Maytag repair man with the Chargers , yeah I’d rather not see him in our division.

• Like (+1) 1

22 hours ago, Captain Hindsight said:

Yeah, scouts just missed on him. I get it, he doesn’t look like a pro QB, but he’s the real deal

Have to agree, but his OL and skill players are exceptional at all levels.  Give something like that to Josh and this offense would never punt, even when we do shotgun handoffs and awfully designed WR screen plays. 

• Eyeroll 2

Baker was not ready for NFL and was rebuilt by Alex Van Pelt.  They took away is ability to ad lib restricting offense until he learned how to read correctly.

Looked for article on it but cannot find it now.

Former Browns OC Alex Van Pelt is now OC for P*ts.  

Baker would be a good addition for them. 

Bucs interviewed Van Pelt for OC and choose someone else which might hurt them.

Patriots Offensive Free Agent Targets For Alex Van Pelt Ft. Mike Evans, Tee Higgins & Baker Mayfield

https://www.nbcsportsboston.com/nfl/new-england-patriots/new-patriots-oc-alex-van-pelt-reveals-traits-he-values-most-in-qbs/589860/

• 3 weeks later...
On 2/22/2024 at 7:33 AM, Pine Barrens Mafia said:

You realize Matt Ryan was a top 5 QB before Shannahan and after.  In fact, 2 sesason after Shannahan left, Ryan put up nearly an identical season to his MVP season.  

The amount of over exaggeration Shannahan gets about Matt Ryan is insane.  In fact, the fact that Shannahan is even considered a QB guru in the first place is a joke.  The first QB he has ever developed in his career is Purdy.  Kubiak found and developed Schaub who was as good after Shannahan left.  He was only with Ryan 2 seasons in his prime who put up similar seasons without Shannahan...he was fired in Washington and a disaster in Cle before Atlanta.  In SF Jimmy G was the same stiff he was when he left as when he got there.  None of the other QB's panned out and he blew 3 first round picks on a QB he couldn't even develop into a backup to a 7th round QB.

• Like (+1) 2

Baker and the Bucs have a 3-yr deal worth 100M with 50M guaranteed.

Ian Rapoport on X: "Sources: The #Bucs are closing in on a deal with QB Baker Mayfield, helping Tampa Bay become home for their starter. He gets a 3-year deal worth $100M with $50M guaranteed.   The Bucs continue to work on keep their core. https://t.co/Ir28N6cDt1" / X (twitter.com)