Looks like Baker Mayfield to become FA

Gregg

1 hour ago, DCofNC said:

They won’t tag Baker, it’s takes away all their leverage.  He’s good, not elite, should be able to get him back at ~30M, no need to go insane.

It depends on how long they want to tie themselves to him. He’s not going anywhere without guaranteed money tying him to a team for at least two years. Tagging him could be cheaper overall. 

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, BarleyNY said:

It’s worse than that if Baker goes to an AFCE team. He’s streaky. If he’s on, it can be a problem. Odds are he would be “on” in one of the two games we’d play him every year. I wonder if he’d go to the Steelers? The AFCN would be even more stacked. 

I'd rather have him than deal with the Pats taking Caleb Williams, Drake Maye, Jaylen Daniel, etc..  At least I know Baker's ceiling.  Atlanta would make perfect sense if the Bucs let him hit free agency.  The Steelers and Raiders would be intriguing too.

12 hours ago, Doc Brown said:

I'd rather have him than deal with the Pats taking Caleb Williams, Drake Maye, Jaylen Daniel, etc..  At least I know Baker's ceiling.  Atlanta would make perfect sense if the Bucs let him hit free agency.  The Steelers and Raiders would be intriguing too.

That’s fair, but Baker would allow them to take Marvin Harrison Jr. I would not be a fan of that either. I haven’t done much homework on the QBs this season so I can’t speak to what they’d be getting at 3. I do know that, in general, even QBs picked in the top 3 are far from a sure thing. Baker and MHJ would immediately give NE a very good chance at splitting games against the Bills (not that they didn’t with Mac Jones last season), but I get your point that if they find a true FQB it would be a bigger long term problem. 

Edited by BarleyNY
  • Like (+1) 1

44 minutes ago, Chicken Boo said:

If they're able to retain Mike Evans, the Bucs could get the same production with Andy Dalton. 

No.  I'm not kidding.

At no point in his entire football career has Andy Dalton ever, IN HIS LIFE, woke up in the morning feeling pretty dangerous. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

9 minutes ago, H2o said:

At no point in his entire football career has Andy Dalton ever, IN HIS LIFE, woke up in the morning feeling pretty dangerous. 

Andy Dalton, historically, has been better than Baker Mayfield and with Mike Evans, Chris Godwin and few more pieces currently on that Bucs roster there'd be no drop off in production.

On what planet has Baker become this $35 million a year guy?  

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 2

6 hours ago, Doc Brown said:

Drafting a QB and signing mayfield are not mutually exclusive concepts. 

31 minutes ago, Chaos said:

Drafting a QB and signing mayfield are not mutually exclusive concepts. 

True but specifically in the Pats case, they won't be able to draft a top QB and Marvin Harrison Jr.. 

• Like (+1) 2

6 minutes ago, dma0034 said:

I think a team like the Browns could use him 😂

Justin Fields is going to be the QB all these teams without a high pick want imo.

Could be an option for the Raiders, Giants or Falcons

I won't be surprised to see the Bears keep Fields and draft MH2

8 hours ago, H2o said:

Insanity. I don't believe it. He never once carried that team. Harbaugh's scheme actually hid him quite well. He averaged a whopping 199 yds per contest. Does that scream top 5 pick to you? Does that even scream 1st Round pick to you? :lol: Any of this chatter is probably being put out there by his agent imo. Like I said before, any team dumb enough to trade up for him deserves the misery that will follow. 

I have an early 2nd round grade on him personally so I don't agree with the top 5-10 talk at all. I don't really care about his stats all that much though/within context they're actually quite good. I think the people that are very high on him are really glossing over his complete lack of touch throws though.

• Like (+1) 1

15 hours ago, colin said:

i don't know what should work out price wise, but if he was the qb for sf, they beat kc in the bowl.

People are in love with Purdy but he choked enormously in the second half of the SB.  Can't really blame him, a young guy with the pressure piling up.  Mayfield would have handled it better.  

15 hours ago, The Jokeman said:

Pairing up Baker and Marvin Harrison Jr could move them past the Jets for 3rd best team in the division. 

Don't sleep on the Jets.  They have a very strong defense, although CJ Mosely is a FA and a lot rides on what happens there.  What they MUST do is fix their terrible O line.  If they don't do that, Rodgers won't last the first game of next season, either.  

• Like (+1) 1

14 hours ago, Doc Brown said:

Atlanta would make perfect sense if the Bucs let him hit free agency.

Wait!  What?!  There's an NFL team in Atlanta?!

No matter how successful a season they might have, I always find myself at some point in the offseason saying "Oh, yeah.  Atlanta Falcons.  They're a team." 🤔

6 hours ago, Utah John said:

People are in love with Purdy but he choked enormously in the second half of the SB.  Can't really blame him, a young guy with the pressure piling up.  Mayfield would have handled it better.  

Don't sleep on the Jets.  They have a very strong defense, although CJ Mosely is a FA and a lot rides on what happens there.  What they MUST do is fix their terrible O line.  If they don't do that, Rodgers won't last the first game of next season, either.  

everyone was being horrible to me and disagreeing with my post!

for real tho, purdy stinks.  he has a paint by numbers offense that he just has to follow the recipe on, and an embarrassment of talent all over the shop, but just made continued fundamental errors down the stretch, as well as obviously not having the dynamic ability or athleticism to make a single thing happen off script.

obviously the special teams disasters were what sunk the 9ers, but if they moved the ball just a little here and there they could have scored another td (including off of the horrendous pick that mahomes threw) or more.

i don't really care about the 9ers, but i hate kc and hate the fact i had to root for those dumb clowns to stop kc from another ring.

• Like (+1) 1

15 hours ago, Chicken Boo said:

Andy Dalton, historically, has been better than Baker Mayfield and with Mike Evans, Chris Godwin and few more pieces currently on that Bucs roster there'd be no drop off in production.

On what planet has Baker become this $35 million a year guy?  

I guess you couldn't catch on to the sarcasm in that statement :thumbsup:

On the Andy Dalton talk though, he's washed. He's nothing more than a journeyman backup at this point, I don't care who you put around him (minus that 49ers team. I think Shanahan could make any QB look serviceable). Baker is definitely a better option than him, on any team. 

• Like (+1) 2

18 hours ago, DCofNC said:

Whichever talking head said “Purdy could walk on water and you all would say “it’s because he doesn’t know how to swim”” had it right.   The kid had an MVP season and everyone goes out of their way to find fault.  If he had just been a higher draft pick, none of this non-sense would be out there.   He played a really good game in the SB, lead a late game go ahead drive and scored in OT, but it was all his fault.   Nonsense.  He didn’t collapse, his OL sure did, but he played good enough to win.  He outplayed our own JA in the playoffs, oddly enough, it was Chris Jones who wrecked both clear TD passes for the Bills and the 9ers by being on the QB before they could throw.  Allen had a little time before it happened, Purdy had nothing.   Credit the team around him all you want, that’s a weak ass excuse.  He was making his money with the 3rd WR. So say what you want, I’m not buying.

I love Purdy. He is efficient, confident and makes good decisions quickly. He does things off-script pretty well too and is a good enough athlete to get 5 yards and a 1st down. He won't wow you with any plays but very rarely is going to make a mistake. I think he's better than Tua in a very similar system. There is a reason he's only lost 5 (not counting the NFCCG last year) games as a starter, one of them being the Super Bowl in which he had a lead when he left the field.

To say he's just a game manager is absurd. Scouts missed him, it happens. He will be in the top QB group for a decade 

• Thank you (+1) 1

17 hours ago, Doc Brown said:

I can’t see what avenue the Pats choose him over Mayo getting a guy for the future. Especially when they are sitting at #3 and can get one of the trio you mentioned. Plenty of cap space to build a team for whomever they draft. Throwing anywhere from $25m-35m on Baker would be a huge loss if they’re sitting in that position. 

While I get your thought process it isn’t the best option for that organization to give the keys to a guy who’s had ups and downs that found himself in the right situation last year. 

10 hours ago, dma0034 said:

I think a team like the Browns could use him 😂

Justin Fields is going to be the QB all these teams without a high pick want imo.

Could be an option for the Raiders, Giants or Falcons

Fields is terrible. People keep trying to make him some guy who has just been overlooked but he hasn't been much better than Tyson Bagent this year. He's just too streaky to be the guy and if you are asking after 3 years, you already know the answer

• Like (+1) 1