Salary cap question, Leonard Floyd’s dead cap

1 hour ago, BarleyNY said:

They were trying to be competitive in 2023. The Bills had (and still have) a large amount of cap tied up in unproductive defenders. This - and several other contracts - were their work around to mitigate some of that.

In general, it is advantageous to kick the can down the road as long as the cap rises. Every cap dollar kicked into a future year is discounted by the percentage the cap has increased. If a team staggers parting ways with high contract players, then they can structure contracts like this indefinitely. Unfortunately the Bills have a logjam of such players. 

Agreed. But kicking the can down the road on 1 year deals is moronic IMO. Even more if you aren’t able to extend or resign the player on that contract. 

• Disagree 2

3 minutes ago, BBFL said:

Agreed. But kicking the can down the road on 1 year deals is moronic IMO. Even more if you aren’t able to extend or resign the player on that contract. 

it’s not moronic in any way for a team in the Bills’ position.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 3

16 minutes ago, SoonerBillsFan said:

That's why I say take the cap hits this year, draft well amd do nothing FA wise until after June 1st.  At some point we have to do this, I say get it over with now.

They’re fine cap wise with Miller, Diggs, and White likely off the books in the next year or 2. Gotta hit on rookie WR and a rookie DL in the next 2 years. 

• Like (+1) 2

Just now, JoPoy88 said:

it’s not moronic in any way for a team in the Bills’ position.

Disagree. On a “regular” year, maybe. When you have as many FAs as we do this off-season with little talent overall I’d say you want to save as much money as you can. Each to their own I guess. 

• Like (+1) 1

11 minutes ago, JoPoy88 said:

It’s hyperbole obviously, but it means that the cap is easily negotiated with some planning and utilization of various creative (and allowed) accounting and contracting practices, void years being just one.

it’s also true that most “bad” cap situations can turn around pretty quickly. It isn’t the 5 year rebuild that bills fans were once sold.

Often a single challenging (but competitive) year can get a team with a franchise qb reloaded 

• Agree 1

18 minutes ago, BBFL said:

Disagree. On a “regular” year, maybe. When you have as many FAs as we do this off-season with little talent overall I’d say you want to save as much money as you can. Each to their own I guess. 

Fair, but how many of those “many” FAs would you truthfully want back?

6 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

It is real. But it is an accounting cap. It isn't a salary cap.

Call it an accounting cap, salary cap, baseball cap, truckers cap, etc...it doesn't matter what you call it, the point is that manipulating the cap has consequences despite the troves of people here who think otherwise.    

25 minutes ago, JoPoy88 said:

Fair, but how many of those “many” FAs would you truthfully want back?

Irrespective of whether you want them back or not. You have holes that need filled. You need $ to fill those holes… 

3 hours ago, Sweats said:

Anybody still think Beane is a number wizard?!?

Yup, Better at it than anyone who posts here, I’m not concerned in the slightest, Beane knew all of this cap fun was coming a year plus ago, and knew he wasn’t resigning the guy from the get go.  I’m certain he has this well in hand, but feel free to fret over it, 

• Like (+1) 4
  • Agree 2

3 hours ago, BBFL said:

100%. I just don’t know why they’d do it that way. 

They were very tight under cap and choose to do it that way so they could afford some good players.

Unfortunately they had the Great Experiment and a lot of injuries.

40 minutes ago, Don Otreply said:

Yup, Better at it than anyone who posts here, I’m not concerned in the slightest, Beane knew all of this cap fun was coming a year plus ago, and knew he wasn’t resigning the guy from the get go.  I’m certain he has this well in hand, but feel free to fret over it, 

If he had not been injured and productive entire year he may have been extended.

1 hour ago, BBFL said:

it left us space to make in season moves, and if we don’t make those moves we can roll over the cap space to cover it as a net zero in 2024. 

literally all it does in a vacuum is give more flexibility. 

it’s only when you spend every last dollar and do so on bad players that it’s a hindering move.

By itself though you should amortize money into future years basically whenever possible and then see if you need the flexibility or just roll it

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 2

I don't want Leonard Floyd or the other four players on the Bills roster for 2024.

Floyd, Hyde, Jones and Matakevich are all 30+.   I'm not paying a lot of money for Tim Settle's 14 tackles and 1 sack.

• Like (+1) 3

3 hours ago, GASabresIUFan said:

It's called a void year.  Yes, we signed him to a one-year deal, but on paper, it was a 2-year deal so that Floyd could get the money he wanted and the Bills could limit the cap hit in 2023.  

Actually, it was a FOUR year deal - not two. We still have dead cap hits for Leonard Floyd in 2025 and 2026.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.