Salary cap question, Leonard Floyd’s dead cap

3 minutes ago, CaptnCoke11 said:

No

Yikes. So technically whatever we sign him to later you can basically add $4.3 million to it. That would be terrible cap management by Brandon Beane. Doubt they’ll extend him today.

Im guessing they won’t be bringing Floyd back. Should’ve extended him.

Edited by Buffalo_Stampede
  • Eyeroll 1
  • Disagree 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

I see Tyler Matakevich is on that list. So he accomplishes absolutely nothing being on the roster and now he’s costing us almost a quarter million in cap space for not being on it. The gift that keeps on giving. Bang up job McDermott. Having a need for these useless scrubs to play Special Teams 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 2

Guess there’s 2 pieces of news in that tweeted chart… Savage, Davenport, Zeitler, Tyron Smith and Mike Evans will all best testing FA if you’re in the market. Think the 4 latter still have decent football left to play. 

Savage is a baller and I hope if he isn’t pricing himself out of the situation that we make an attempt to sign him. 

1 minute ago, mrags said:

I see Tyler Matakevich is on that list. So he accomplishes absolutely nothing being on the roster and now he’s costing us almost a quarter million in cap space for not being on it. The gift that keeps on giving. Bang up job McDermott. Having a need for these useless scrubs to play Special Teams 

So important you pay the position when they’re not even there! 🤯

1 minute ago, BBFL said:

Guess there’s 2 pieces of news in that tweeted chart… Savage, Davenport, Zeitler, Tyron Smith and Mike Evans will all best testing FA if you’re in the market. Think the 4 latter still have decent football left to play. 

Savage is a baller and I hope if he isn’t pricing himself out of the situation that we make an attempt to sign him. 

So important you pay the position when they’re not even there! 🤯

Apparently 

5 minutes ago, Virgil said:

I don’t get this.  Didn’t he sign a one year deal?  How is there a cap hit this year?

They split the $7m over two years instead of paying it all in one season. Might have been because they believed he was going to hit the contact incentives built in? I don’t know why they chose to do it that way. Pretty rough either way though as that $4.3m is a decent chunk of change. 

Edited by BBFL

The way I understand but (and freely admit I may be wrong) is they had until today to work out a new deal where if they had they 4.3M would have rolled over to his new contract. Being that they didn't it's the same as cutting him due to the contract being voided this the dead cap hit for this season. 

All in all on that list including Hyde, Settle and others it appears the Bills will be hit with around $12M total dead cap hits today. Very ouch.

Edited by BuffaloBillyG
  • Like (+1) 2
  • Angry 1

8 minutes ago, BBFL said:

They split the $7m over two years instead of paying it all in one season. Might have been because they believed he was going to hit the contact incentives built in? I don’t know why they chose to do it that way. Pretty rough either way though as that $4.3m is a decent chunk of change. 

Kicked the can down the road is how I see it…

• Like (+1) 4

30 minutes ago, Virgil said:

I don’t get this.  Didn’t he sign a one year deal?  How is there a cap hit this year?

1 year, $7M with 3 additional void years. Salary of $1.165M plus a signing bonus of $5.835M. 2023 cap hit of $2,623,750. That’s the salary plus 1/4 of the signing bonus. 2024 dead cap of $4,376,250, which is the remaining 3/4 of the signing bonus. 

His contract also had incentives. I believe that he earned an additional $1M which would bring his 2024 dead dead cap up to $5,376,250. 

Edited by BarleyNY
  • Like (+1) 1

14 minutes ago, BuffaloBillyG said:

The way I understand but (and freely admit I may be wrong) is they had until today to work out a new deal where if they had they 4.3M would have rolled over to his new contract. Being that they didn't it's the same as cutting him due to the contract being voided this the dead cap hit for this season. 

All in all on that list including Hyde, Settle and others it appears the Bills will be hit with around $12M total dead cap hits today. Very ouch.

Pretty much it, the contract was set up to allow them an extra player they couldn’t afford last year, now you eat it.   It’s a pretty common practice, just kicks the can down the road.  The Bills have to hit re-set here soon and eat ***** for a year or continue to be just good enough to disappoint.

• Thank you (+1) 2

15 minutes ago, BuffaloBillyG said:

The $4.3 with Floyd hurts most because he’s actually a player many thought would return. I don’t think the Bills would take on $4 million and then sign him later. 

2 minutes ago, Buffalo_Stampede said:

The $4.3 with Floyd hurts most because he’s actually a player many thought would return. I don’t think the Bills would take on $4 million and then sign him later. 

Yes, they would have to account for it. It was money paid so it must hit the cap. 

2 minutes ago, BBFL said:

100%. I just don’t know why they’d do it that way. 

Because they thought they were winning a Ship this year. Same with last year and Von. 

if he only had a coach worth a chit 

Edited by mrags
  • Eyeroll 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.