Salary cap question, Leonard Floyd’s dead cap

On 2/19/2024 at 3:38 PM, BarleyNY said:

They were trying to be competitive in 2023. The Bills had (and still have) a large amount of cap tied up in unproductive defenders. This - and several other contracts - were their work around to mitigate some of that.

In general, it is advantageous to kick the can down the road as long as the cap rises. Every cap dollar kicked into a future year is discounted by the percentage the cap has increased. If a team staggers parting ways with high contract players, then they can structure contracts like this indefinitely. Unfortunately the Bills have a logjam of such players. 

It is weird to me that this is even a thread or at least a thread that has gone on for 6 pages.... A lot of teams use dead years. This isn't uncommon, especially for a team that is pressing up against the cap. 

Not to mention the question answers itself. The Bills had $2.2M of cap space mid season to navigate any injuries or additional signings. Floyds $4.3M is more than $2.2M. We didn't have the space to eat his contract this year. 

However I do believe that if they extend him they can kick that money down the road as part of the new contract but they cannot make it go away. I would have to defer to some of the better capologists on that one. 

• Like (+1) 2

2 minutes ago, Mango said:

It is weird to me that this is even a thread or at least a thread that has gone on for 6 pages.... A lot of teams use dead years. This isn't uncommon, especially for a team that is pressing up against the cap. 

Not to mention the question answers itself. The Bills had $2.2M of cap space mid season to navigate any injuries or additional signings. Floyds $4.3M is more than $2.2M. We didn't have the space to eat his contract this year. 

However I do believe that if they extend him they can kick that money down the road as part of the new contract but they cannot make it go away. I would have to defer to some of the better capologists on that one. 

Yep.

If the Bills had extended him prior to his contract voiding, then the structure would have remained in place until his contract ended. So there would have been some temporary relief to offset his new deal. But it voided already so there’s nothing we can do retroactively. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

40 minutes ago, Mango said:

Well we got to that point pretty early. There wasn’t really much to discuss after. Just a lot of people repeating the point.

Yes, I forgot that his cap hit was spread out last year.

• Like (+1) 1

47 minutes ago, Mango said:

Not a Capoligist, but its well known the Bills have the 2nd worst cap space in the league, not "a lot of teams" ahead of them at being the worst in cap management in the league currently.

A lot of fans on here are going to be in for a rude awakening this year.  Unless they want to put the Bills in even worse shape and "kick the can down the road"  even more that some fans are claiming for.   The salary cap is very real no matter how many times you say it's a "Myth".  The Bills comes due at some point. 

Edited by Gunsgoodtime

2 hours ago, Gunsgoodtime said:

Not a Capoligist, but its well known the Bills have the 2nd worst cap space in the league, not "a lot of teams" ahead of them at being the worst in cap management in the league currently.

A lot of fans on here are going to be in for a rude awakening this year.  Unless they want to put the Bills in even worse shape and "kick the can down the road"  even more that some fans are claiming for.   The salary cap is very real no matter how many times you say it's a "Myth".  The Bills comes due at some point. 

I don’t think that they are among the“worst at cap management”. Few teams are truly bad at that, though some make poor decisions due to trying to keep their jobs in the short term. This cap situation was planned. I’ve mentioned this before, but the contracts and ages of players point to a planned reset of the roster next off-season, give or take a season. They built a roster that they thought could win it all and wanted to keep it together up until many of the key players (not named Josh Allen) would be at the end of their useful careers. Injuries to Von Miller and Tre White have hurt the team badly and may move the reset up to this off-season.  For the record, this is not my preferred methodology but I am willing to see how it is managed.

edited to add: I believe that one of the contributing factors to the Bills going the route they did - especially signing Von Miller - was due to the new stadium deal. They certainly pushed this roster to a SB caliber one. The timing of the Von Miller signing was after the disappointment of 13 seconds. It certainly reinvigorated the fan base and stoked the frenzy to white hot levels. It’s not a coincidence that it happened during the final funding push for the stadium. Obviously that is something that would have been directed by the Pegulas. 

Edited by BarleyNY
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

2 hours ago, Gunsgoodtime said:

The entire offense returns minus the player the majority wanted replaced.

Defense was in for change no matter what because of aging vets like Poyer and Hyde and a lot of 1 year deals. The thing is though safety is deep in free agency and there will be cheap starting options.

The worry I have is DT and edge. The cap will clear up over the next couple years with Miller, White, and Diggs coming off. They already replaced White with cheaper players. Replacing Diggs and finding DT and edge players is the challenge.

Edited by Buffalo_Stampede

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.