Does this team actually have the guts to move on from Tre White?

Jim

8 hours ago, HereComesTheReignAgain said:

There is a decent way to explain why the team would choose to move on from Tre White. A player that has been nothing short of the consummate professional and an outstanding representative of the team. 

And then there is the disrespectful, lazy way that you presented it. 

Agreed. But,they do need to move on.

The salary cap also has to be taken into account.  T. White’s salary for 2024 is $8.3M.  If he was cut, his dead cap would be $10.3M.  Not that much of a difference but when you’re starting at $50M+ over the cap, every little bit matters.

Lower that salary to $3 or $4M and he may be worth keeping around.

9 hours ago, Jim said:

t's right there in the title.

The title makes no sense.  It does not take guts to move on from Tre White

34 minutes ago, BobbyC81 said:

The salary cap also has to be taken into account.  T. White’s salary for 2024 is $8.3M.  If he was cut, his dead cap would be $10.3M.  Not that much of a difference but when you’re starting at $50M+ over the cap, every little bit matters.

Lower that salary to $3 or $4M and he may be worth keeping around.

They would save 6M by waiving him.  But he would have to be healthy to do so.  His cap it is 16M which is more than just his salary.

2024 Dead Cap: $10,369,8362024 Cap Savings: $6,073,901

9 hours ago, Jim said:

It's right there in the title. The man we basically got in return for Patrick Mahomes has basically been nowhere for this team since 2021. He's due to make a ton of money in 2024 and judging by his "comeback" in 2022, it seems absolutely insane that they are gonna pay him all that money next season to fearfully rehab through November and then play like a 5th rate CB when he comes back.

We also have two starting CB. Benford and Douglas.

Cut Tre White's ass as soon as we can. Either that or he needs to accept a shitload less money, cuz otherwise we will just be showing that this team is not serious about winning a Super Bowl.

Don’t hold back Jim, tell us how you really feel…

• Haha (+1) 1

I welcome Jim's rants to the board!  we need people with different takes and particularly who challenge feel good trash themes on here.

I saw a podcast w shannon sharp and charles ochocinco.  the short of it is ocho was being fairly dovish talking about how guys coming off of injury need time and we have to accept their poor performance, and shannon was being militant saying there is an expectation that post injury or not, when a player plays there is an expectation of their performance.  von has been absolute trash, tre was bad but maybe not trash at the end of last season (certainly not good) and was ok to start this season but obviously got hurt again.

in this podcast, examples of heroic returns of some great players, and rapid returns to play no less, were cited.  guys coming off acl in the same year to ball out.  20+ years ago.  tre also expressed concern about covid, and playing during the covid thing.  he's cleary got concerns about health, which is not ideal for a football player coming off of his second massive season ending injury.  he's also not starting out as the fastest cb either, so these injuries won't help that at all.

kc wouldn't keep this guy, why should we?

• Eyeroll 1
  • Sad 1

9 hours ago, transplantbillsfan said:

The more I read about this "anchoring" technique to heal a torn achilles... no.

Tre might actually be participating fully in the minicamp in a couple months.

I think we restructure his deal, which would be smart, but if we get a fully healthy Tre White by minicamp, maybe McDermott and Babbich can transition Benford or Douglas to Safety. 

Achilles tears are not the injuries they used to be — at all. I won’t be shocked if he’s fine by camp. We shall see.

9 hours ago, Jim said:

It's right there in the title. The man we basically got in return for Patrick Mahomes has basically been nowhere for this team since 2021. He's due to make a ton of money in 2024 and judging by his "comeback" in 2022, it seems absolutely insane that they are gonna pay him all that money next season to fearfully rehab through November and then play like a 5th rate CB when he comes back.

Cut Tre White's ass as soon as we can. Either that or he needs to accept a shitload less money, cuz otherwise we will just be showing that this team is not serious about winning a Super Bowl.

Spoken like a true "Bandwagon" fan. 

• Like (+1) 1

10 hours ago, Jim said:

While I think you could have stated your preferences with more decorum, I agree that for the money and cap hit, it's time to part ways with White, possibly with some injury settlement. I can agree on Knox too, given his value/cost ratio. There's no question, whether "true fans" will admit it or not, that Damar Hamlin is not an NFL roster worthy performer at this point, and that he was only kept around this past season because of the bad PR that releasing him would have presented. If fans don't think PR is a vital consideration in front office dealings, just look at how the Matt Araiza and Leslie Frazier exits were delicately (if not cowardly) handled. I also believe it's time to take the cap medicine hit and release Von Miller. The bottom line is that it's a business.

Edited by Sargent Hulka

12 hours ago, Jim said:

This is dumb.

Guts isn't an issue.

And the fact that you think you know what his ceiling is now only shows you don't know the difference between opinions and facts.

This will be about making educated guesses at the future, with infinitely more knowledge of Tre's medical situation than you and I have and trying to fit a situation with dozens of moving parts and information that can never be complete into the teams's situation, which has millions of moving parts and can never be even anywhere close to complete.

Is it possible they ask him to take a bit of a cut? Yeah. Does it have anything to do with guts? Nope.

• Like (+1) 2

5 hours ago, NastyNateSoldiers said:

So u want to wait in see if this new technique will work for Tre while the team is over the cap by 45 mil ?  Then if he's good move another corner that's just fine at there position to safety I don't think that's logical its time to move on and use the cap savings on a real safety. 

The technique has already worked and quickly for a number of players.

Plus the team only saves about $6m if they cut him. Doubt you find a replacement corner at his level for that money

2 hours ago, Sargent Hulka said:

While I think you could have stated your preferences with more decorum, I agree that for the money and cap hit, it's time to part ways with White, possibly with some injury settlement. I can agree on Knox too, given his value/cost ratio. There's no question, whether "true fans" will admit it or not, that Damar Hamlin is not an NFL roster worthy performer at this point, and that he was only kept around this past season because of the bad PR that releasing him would have presented. If fans don't think PR is a vital consideration in front office dealings, just look at how the Matt Araiza and Leslie Frazier exits were delicately (if not cowardly) handled. I also believe it's time to take the cap medicine hit and release Von Miller. The bottom line is that it's a business.

Whisper it quietly.... I'm not sure he ever was. He was at best a low end backup. Taylor Rapp is nobody's idea of a starting safety and yet he was 20 times better this year than Hamlin was even pre-injury last year. 

• Like (+1) 1

10 minutes ago, transplantbillsfan said:

The technique has already worked and quickly for a number of players.

Plus the team only saves about $6m if they cut him. Doubt you find a replacement corner at his level for that money

Tre White of 4 years ago, no. Tre White today, maybe.

2 hours ago, Sargent Hulka said:

PR matters.  You don't want free agents thinking "Buffalo is the place where they cold-blooded cut the dude who died on the field for them."

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

12 hours ago, Jim said:

Here's the thing. I'm not Brandon Beane, Sean McDipshit or Terry Pegula. They can let him down easy when they cut his ass an wish him well. I'm a fan who wants to win. It seems like Tre is a wonderful young man. But guess what? He hasn't do ***** to help us win in a long time. So guess what? So long *****. See ya when you're back to "lead the charge!"

Im not sure you are even a "fan"...you sound like some dude who just caught his wife getting plowed by his brother.  

Your hasn't done **** since 2021 is inaccurate as well.  Just about any fan who has even a sliver of football knowledge understood that players coming back from a torn ACL often don't get back closer to a full recovery until the season after they return.  Which is exactly what happened with Tre who looked good before suffering another injury this year.  

He is definitely going to be an interesting one to watch as I really can't see how they can afford to keep him with our cap situation, so something is going to have to likely be reworked or he could very well be a cap casualty.  

But he deserves a lot more respect than you are giving him especially how he worked his way back and then suffered another significant injury that had him emotionally breaking down as he was carted off the field.  

So maybe tone it down or redirect your meltdown elsewhere rather than one of the most talented, professional, hard working, dedicated players this franchise has on this team who is beloved by fans and in the locker room.  

• Awesome! (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.