McDermott’s Learning Curve

I hope we all like watching grass grow and paint dry.

When is it going to be time to move on from this coach? I appreciate who he is, and what his MO is, but things are not pointing towards a Super Bowl victory with him at the helm. 

I could be mistaken, but I believe that McDermott’s biggest (and only?) adjustment to his conservative nature is calling a more aggressive game in the recent playoff loss to the Chiefs. I didn’t see it, but okay. That’s a painfully slow learning curve. At this pace, he may figure out how to actually call a WINNING game on Super Bowl Sunday sometime in the 2040s. 

How many more super quarterbacks and excellent HCs will come along during that time to put McDermott down every year…

It is not happening with McDermott. He ended the drought, he got this franchise to a very consistent winning tier. But there are obvious limitations that he’ll most likely never overcome. 

It’s very very difficult to win a Super Bowl. A lot of things must align. You can’t have a head coach that is a liability when/if you ever get the chances to bring it all home. Every step of the way with McDermott he is always one or multiple steps behind what it takes to punch through. The longer he is here, the longer we wait (too patiently imo) for the trophy. 

• Like (+1) 6
  • Vomit 6
  • Eyeroll 6
  • Disagree 2
  • Agree 4
  • Haha (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 2
  • Dislike 1

If the draft doesn’t go well, next year could be down year and we miss playoffs.  However, with our QB and division we’re in, we’ll make playoffs 9 in the next decade.  The coach will be our coach for a long time.

• Vomit 1
  • Shocked 1

1 hour ago, Thrivefourfive said:

I could be mistaken, but I believe that McDermott’s biggest (and only?) adjustment to his conservative nature is calling a more aggressive game in the recent playoff loss to the Chiefs. I didn’t see it, but okay. That’s a painfully slow learning curve. At this pace, he may figure out how to actually call a WINNING game on Super Bowl Sunday sometime in the 2040s. 

Personally, I thought… OMG… he’s finally got it!

His sieve D was beyond a hot mess, so he LOOKED like he was trying to eat 99% of the 8:35 clock, by having Allen guide a controlled march down the field to victory! (See the rain game at Baltimorefor an identical strategy.)

But no… at the 2:40 (approx) mark, he loses his mind and instead Allen tries the TD Pass to Shakir.

With 1:45 and 2 Chiefs TOs!

How many mulligans do you get to ***** up critical closing game moves?

How many?

Done.

Edited by Billsatlastin2018
  • Like (+1) 3
  • Agree 1
  • Thank you (+1) 2
  • Dislike 2

I think McD has grown a bit, he’s much more aggressive than he used to be. The early McD would never go for it from his own side of the field. This version has a better feel for the game. With that said, the fake punt was bad, especially with a non-RB rushing the ball. Funny enough, the execution of the play was worse than the design, considering it was an advantageous look to run against. Credit Chenal (or was it Tranquill?) for blowing up two blockers. The main problem I see with McD is that he’s slow to learn, he’s never ahead of situational moments unless they’ve happened before and that’s hurting the team.

• Like (+1) 3

9 minutes ago, Billsatlastin2018 said:

Personally, I thought… OMG… he’s finally got it!

His sieve D was beyond a hot mess, so he LOOKED like he was trying to eat 99% of the 8:35 clock, by having Allen guide a controlled march down the field to victory! (See the rain game at Baltimorefor an identical strategy.)

But no… at the 2:40 (approx) mark, he loses his mind and instead Allen tries the TD Pass to Shakir.

With 1:45 and 2 Chiefs TOs!

How many mulligans do you get to ***** up critical closing game moves?

How many?

Done.

That wasn't McD's decision.  Allen saw the opportunity for a TD and took it.  The play was there if Dawkins doesn't get pushed into Allen as he threw.

That D was a sieve because we were missing key starters.   So...likely KC would have moved the football with too much time left on the clock.  They would have needed a TD though, and anything could happen.  Look at Poyer's play at the goal line.  

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

He’s our Marvin Lewis.

Has been bailed out by the best Buffalo Bill of all time Josh Allen.

If he continues to be the HC, we’ll continue to watch Super Bowl Sundays without our beloved Bills in it.

If you fire him, you give the fanbase hope. If you keep him, you insure zero hope.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Disagree 1
  • Agree 3
  • Haha (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

46 minutes ago, Beast said:

Believe it or not, he is one of the more aggressive coaches as far as 4th downs go in the league for the past three seasons….so the conservative argument you are portraying is incorrect.

But if you don’t win the Super Bowl you are clearly an idiot. I think that has been well established. Over and over. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Eyeroll 2
  • Haha (+1) 1

29 minutes ago, jkeerie said:

That wasn't McD's decision.

I know, we know, that Allen made the decision.

My point?

It was McDs only job at that point to tell him DON’T!

We’ll likely lose if you do. 

I know this is counterintuitive and contrary to the entire history of the NFL, before the likes of Mahomes OR Allen OR Brady! 

if the Bills are playing almost anybody else, of course you try and score there.

They were not. It was the Mahomes led Chiefs!

BE INTELLIGENT! Don’t be stupid and ensure your verbal order is given from 2 inches away! As it should have been done in 13 seconds!

• Like (+1) 1
  • Eyeroll 2
  • Awesome! (+1) 2

50 minutes ago, Beast said:

Believe it or not, he is one of the more aggressive coaches as far as 4th downs go in the league for the past three seasons….so the conservative argument you are portraying is incorrect.

If he’s not conservative, then what is he? @Beast, that’s not the only quantitative measure of aggressiveness. And you point to something on offense no less.. 

Going for it on 4th down LESS, with JA17 on the field, would be absolutely a ‘fire him at halftime’ sort of offense. 

• Disagree 1

2 hours ago, Thrivefourfive said:

I hope we all like watching grass grow and paint dry.

When is it going to be time to move on from this coach? I appreciate who he is, and what his MO is, but things are not pointing towards a Super Bowl victory with him at the helm. 

How many more super quarterbacks and excellent HCs will come along during that time to put McDermott down every year…

It is not happening with McDermott. He ended the drought, he got this franchise to a very consistent winning tier. But there are obvious limitations that he’ll most likely never overcome. 

It’s very very difficult to win a Super Bowl. A lot of things must align. You can’t have a head coach that is a liability when/if you ever get the chances to bring it all home. Every step of the way with McDermott he is always one or multiple steps behind what it takes to punch through. The longer he is here, the longer we wait (too patiently imo) for the trophy. 

Cool. So what’s your solution? Who’s the replacement? 

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.