Bills add Miami Hurricanes DB coach Jahmile Addae to coach secondary

Gregg

36 minutes ago, Gregg said:

Seems like Hurricanes did get better under his watch. From the article.

Addae’s unit showed progression from 2022 to 2023. In his first year at UM, the Hurricanes finished 79th in the nation, surrendering 233.1 yards per game. After sending two cornerbacks, Tyrique Stevenson and DJ Ivey, to the NFL, Miami improved to 55th in the nation, allowing 216 passing yards per game

Which makes me wonder…..did he help create 2 NFL DB’s, or did he look good because he had 2 studs to rely on.   🤷‍♂️

I kid, mostly, because it takes some of both, but that is encouraging news. 

1 minute ago, Augie said:

Which makes me wonder…..did he help create 2 NFL DB’s, or did he look good because he had 2 studs to rely on.   🤷‍♂️

I will say Stevenson was getting drafted regardless of who the coach was. He was a talented player.  

As a Hurricanes fan I was glad to see him go when I saw the headline.

Later found out he was going to the Bills. 😂

He just wasn't pulling his weight as a recruiter.

He could turn out to be a great coach for the Bills........he came to Miami well regarded........he just did the worst recruiting job of any position coach on staff and that aspect has only become more important in recent years.    

What I'd look for is the Bills to maybe gain a little scouting edge on late round DB's..........he has recruited a lot of these guys(mostly unsuccessfully) in this draft class while at West Virginia/Georgia/Miami.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 2

22 minutes ago, Monty98 said:

Universally disliked at Miami and directly lead to one player transferring this season, and almost costing Miami their top young corner. Dude is a massive ####### apparently. Doubt he's successful here and don't let his stop at Georgia fool you, that was all Kirby, like Saban he's a DB guy. The DBs at Miami got better once Guidry took over as DC. Really dislike this hire right now

Yeah he's known as being a hard a$$ in an age when players get coddled............which of course, doesn't help you much as a recruiter.

Maybe not having the recruiting responsibility will make him easier to work with.

Sad to see John Butler go but figured that would happen once he got passed over for Bobby Babich jr.

2 minutes ago, BADOLBILZ said:

Yeah he's known as being a hard a$$ in an age when players get coddled............which of course, doesn't help you much as a recruiter.

Maybe not having the recruiting responsibility will make him easier to work with.

Sad to see John Butler go but figured that would happen once he got passed over for Bobby Babich jr.

I just don't want him associated with either team I like...why couldn't he go to the Dolphins. I saw this on FB first and was like oh no 🤮 then I was like...well...the U got better.

The passing efficiency #s at Miami make me sick.

18 minutes ago, SoonerBillsFan said:

I take todays college athletes getting their panties in a wad with a grain of salt.

Universally as in not just the players. Staff and board were not on board with him at Miami and the way he went about business

18 minutes ago, Augie said:

So it's a bit misleading. Tyrique Stevenson was going to be drafted regardless and left Georgia to come home to Miami, DJ Ivey was a draft pick based on measurables. Any one who watched Miami can tell you that he was not good. The two safeties this year getting drafted are Kam Kitchens and James Williams who just played linebacker at the senior bowl. Kam will get drafted because he is a gambler at times and has a knack for making big plays in big situations.

52 minutes ago, BADOLBILZ said:

He could turn out to be a great coach for the Bills........he came to Miami well regarded........he just did the worst recruiting job of any position coach on staff and that aspect has only become more important in recent years.    

What I'd look for is the Bills to maybe gain a little scouting edge on late round DB's..........he has recruited a lot of these guys(mostly unsuccessfully) in this draft class while at West Virginia/Georgia/Miami.

Well if that's his biggest issue, don't see that as a problem in the NFL.

Could also be why he's leaving college as that was the one part of his job he hated and didn't want to be bothered with much.

1 hour ago, Monty98 said:

Universally disliked at Miami and directly lead to one player transferring this season, and almost costing Miami their top young corner. Dude is a massive ####### apparently. Doubt he's successful here and don't let his stop at Georgia fool you, that was all Kirby, like Saban he's a DB guy. The DBs at Miami got better once Guidry took over as DC. Really dislike this hire right now

Where are you getting your info?  Serious question, not saying you’re wrong…just curious.

55 minutes ago, BADOLBILZ said:

This adds some context to what Monty wrote.  If he sucks as a recruiter because he doesn’t kiss players’ asses I think I’m good with that.

1 minute ago, eball said:

Where are you getting your info?  Serious question, not saying you’re wrong…just curious.

This adds some context to what Monty wrote.  If he sucks as a recruiter because he doesn’t kiss players’ asses I think I’m good with that.

Being a Hurricanes fan, the last two seasons we have been saying fire Addae, it's just something that he was hyped up as a future DC/HC and at Miami he was just not that guy and he rubbed coaches wrong as well as players.

Go look up any canes message board and you'll see rejoice and laughter that Buffalo hired him.

39 minutes ago, Blank Stare said:

Hate this. Butler is a good coach. 

Ahh, not so sure Butler is a good coach. 

He was DB coach at PSU, hired partly on the recommendation of Bill OBriens strength coach. 

Then promoted to DC because OB was too lazy to do a search. 

Failed miserably as a DC and would throw players under the bus. 

Then went to Texans with OB but fired as his unit performed poorly. 

Then hired by his high school buddy McDermott. 

Seems to me the guys floats by on his buddies coattails. 

And before someone chimes in that he did a great job coaching up Tre, Hyde, and Poyer—they were all on team for at least one season  before Butler started. 

The only DB to develop under Butler was Taron Johnson. 

• Thank you (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Monty98 said:

Being a Hurricanes fan, the last two seasons we have been saying fire Addae, it's just something that he was hyped up as a future DC/HC and at Miami he was just not that guy and he rubbed coaches wrong as well as players.

Go look up any canes message board and you'll see rejoice and laughter that Buffalo hired him.

Interesting.  We know fans aren’t always the best judges of coaching so I guess I’ll hope for the best.  Maybe he’s better suited for the pro game.

• Like (+1) 2

As McD knows what to look for and how to coach the secondary I’ll have to trust he brought this guy in for a reason.  Truthfully what I know about these position coaches being brought in is absolutely nothing.  Hope for the best 🥳

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, jkeerie said:

According to the Buffalo News, Butler was let go as part of the defensive coaching shake up.

Kamren Kinchens, S?

Kinchens looks nasty (so long as he always plays like his highlight videos!)

My theory: McDermott forced a wrestling match between Addae and Butler for the job

44 minutes ago, eball said:

Interesting.  We know fans aren’t always the best judges of coaching so I guess I’ll hope for the best.  Maybe he’s better suited for the pro game.

I wonder if McDermott thought Butler didn't do a good job developing Elam. It does seem odd that such a physically talented player couldn't learn to play zone and tackle after two years of professional coaching--and an urgent need for him to contribute. 

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.