The 1970's

7 minutes ago, SoTier said:

on May 4, 1970 four students at Kent State University in Kent, Ohio, were killed when National Guardsmen opened fire on a crowd of students protesting the US bombing of Cambodia. 

... which inspired Neil Young to write the song "Ohio" and record it with CSNY.

• Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, WhoTom said:

... which inspired Neil Young to write the song "Ohio" and record it with CSNY.

I remember the moment I heard the news from Kent State just like I remember the moments I heard that Kennedy had been shot, that the Challenger had exploded, and that a plane had slammed into the World Trade Center.

4 minutes ago, SoTier said:

I remember the moment I heard the news from Kent State just like I remember the moments I heard that Kennedy had been shot, that the Challenger had exploded, and that a plane had slammed into the World Trade Center.

I was just a few weeks old when JFK was shot and too young to pay attention to politics when RFK was shot and when Kent State happened. But I clearly remember the Challenger and 9/11 moments.

On 2/5/2024 at 3:24 PM, dpberr said:

It's the control of ideas and controlled socialization with others.  There's no longer room for the risky idea.  Or the perhaps stupid idea.  There's no longer many venues to share ideas in person.  

Next to no government or corporate overlords in the 1960s....then the 1970s it slowly ratchets.  You get a little more control in the 1980s, little more in the 1990s.  A slow ratchet that really took off after 9/11 and overheated with Covid.    

As you reflect on the present, the "idea" is heavily controlled by the government and corporations where every idea in products, news, entertainment, politics is deliberately there for your consumption.  The idea *must* generate a profit or influence you in one way or another.  They also prefer you not socializing - just sit in your house and get all of your entertainment and products sent to you.  

Frank Zappa wrote a song about all that in 70's

On 2/16/2024 at 8:41 AM, SoTier said:

Some other memories of the 1970s ...

- on May 4, 1970 four students at Kent State University in Kent, Ohio, were killed when National Guardsmen opened fire on a crowd of students protesting the US bombing of Cambodia.  The US interference in Cambodia led directly to the Khmer Rouge under Pol Pot ruling the country and the death of more than 2 million Cambodians.

- Secretariat's magnificent 26 length win in the Belmont Stakes to become the first Triple Crown winner since 1948.  Time Magazine featured him on their cover as "Super Horse" in June, 1973.

- the resignation of Richard Nixon as POTUS on August 8, 1974, in order to avoid impeachment for his role in the Watergate scandal

- the chaotic scenes of the last US helicopters departing Saigon in April, 1975

- the Blizzard of 1977, infinitely worst than our recent blizzards IMO because of the breadth, strength, and duration of the blizzard conditions as well as the extreme cold (Blizzard of 1977).  Surprisingly, 23 people died in this blizzard in all of WNY -- in an era before 24-7 weather, storm warnings days ahead of the event, weather alerts, cell phones, etc -- compared to about 50 in the 2022 storm. 

The Bills were 0-for-the-1970s against the Fish.  When the Chuck Knox-coached Bills beat the Fish 17-7 in Rich Stadium on opening day, 1980, the fans tore down the goalposts.  The celebrations for the Bills making the Super Bowl a decade later probably wasn't as great as that moment.

A couple summers after 1970 we went on a little vacation across northern Ohio. I was probably about 12 at the time. We went to Cedar Point Amusement Park, the NFL HOF……and Kent State. They had metal statues on campus, and my strongest memory of that trip was looking at and touching where the bullets had hit those statues. It was moving as a 12 year old, and it’s moving now. 

• Like (+1) 4

On 2/16/2024 at 8:41 AM, SoTier said:

The Bills were 0-for-the-1970s against the Fish.  When the Chuck Knox-coached Bills beat the Fish 17-7 in Rich Stadium on opening day, 1980, the fans tore down the goalposts.  The celebrations for the Bills making the Super Bowl a decade later probably wasn't as great as that moment.

It's funny how you perceive things in your mind.  I was born in 85 so I was 5 years old in 1990 and I do have some vague memories of back then and can remember the Super Bowl years but seeing as I wasn't around in 1980 that opening day game against the Fish always felt like ancient history to me.  This is the first time I ever put it together that game and then the first Super Bowl appearance were only a decade apart...and the way time flies today a Decade really doesn't seem that long anymore.

• Agree 1

On 2/5/2024 at 1:04 PM, coloradobillsfan said:

I hear more songs from the 70s in advertising and media than any other decade.  Do decades even have tangible 'sounds' anymore? 

Was watching Don't Tell Mom The Babysitters Dead last night with TW.  I mentioned during the movie that it had a very 1980's soundtrack.  She mentions it was made in 1991.  I said it still has that 80's sound with all the background music. 

1 hour ago, Just Jack said:

Was watching Don't Tell Mom The Babysitters Dead last night with TW.  I mentioned during the movie that it had a very 1980's soundtrack.  She mentions it was made in 1991.  I said it still has that 80's sound with all the background music. 

Great movie! 

On 2/5/2024 at 2:24 PM, dpberr said:

It's the control of ideas and controlled socialization with others.  There's no longer room for the risky idea.  Or the perhaps stupid idea.  There's no longer many venues to share ideas in person.  

Next to no government or corporate overlords in the 1960s....then the 1970s it slowly ratchets.  You get a little more control in the 1980s, little more in the 1990s.  A slow ratchet that really took off after 9/11 and overheated with Covid.    

As you reflect on the present, the "idea" is heavily controlled by the government and corporations where every idea in products, news, entertainment, politics is deliberately there for your consumption.  The idea *must* generate a profit or influence you in one way or another.  They also prefer you not socializing - just sit in your house and get all of your entertainment and products sent to you.  

Whatever happened to:

One hit wonders? 

Stupid music videos?

Indie movies? 

Stupid cars like the Pontiac Aztek? 

Why hasn't Tastykake produced any new snack in 30 years?  

Where to socialize?  Dance clubs, bowling alleys, roller skating, the mall - all dead.  

Local news is largely dead - it's mostly AP (heavily controlled) wire crap.

There is no way ol' Tay Tay is as big of a star as she is today in any previous decade.  She's the star she is today because corporate America has eliminated nearly all of the competition.  She makes them a ton of money and in return, there's no indie star out there that has any potential to eclipse her.  Corporate America needs a new Britney so they are force feeding Tate McRae out on the airwaves.  

The Cyber Truck IMO is a stupid idea, but it only exists because Elon Musk is throwing his F-You money at it.   It is very unlikely the K-Car, Ford Taurus or the Dodge Minivan would be made today because both cars were "crazy" ideas in US car making circles at the time.  

There is this thing called the internet which hosts countless venues that facilitate discussion on all manner of intelligent, risky, stupid, and downright reprehensible ideas and content.  People world wide are connected in a way that would be unfathomable to 1970s man.  No matter how wild your views may be there are online communities of likeminded individuals.  

The internet and cheap technology has also given everybody with an ounce of talent and ambition a platform to self-record and share their music, comedy, or  with the world.  There are a number of popular musicians and comedians who got their start by self recording and releasing their material on YouTube and TikTok.  That would have been utterly impossible in the golden age of Studio rock.  

2 hours ago, Jauronimo said:

The internet and cheap technology has also given everybody with an ounce of talent and ambition a platform to self-record and share their music, comedy, or  with the world.  There are a number of popular musicians and comedians who got their start by self recording and releasing their material on YouTube and TikTok.  That would have been utterly impossible in the golden age of Studio rock.  

Matt Rife is a good example.  He got famous sharing his audience work at his comedy shows on TT.  Started having sell out shows a year in advance, selling so many tickets, that venues were adding multiple shows.  Then his Netflix special came out, and people saw how bad his actual comedy is, and now you really don't hear anything about him.  

Edited by Just Jack

On 2/6/2024 at 3:32 PM, EasternOHBillsFan said:

I was born in 1973, and this is what I remember!

Carbon charge machines

mimeograph machines

film projectors in school

party line phone

8 track players

LED TI calculator

10 cent pay phone

No A/C in cars

roller rinks

disco music

black and while TVs

cabinet TVs

Space Invaders in a cabinet

Big ties and collars (my dad wore them)

Vitalis

Old Leather

Six Million Dollar Man, Wonder Woman, All in the Family and Land of the Lost on TV

Early pinball machines before electronics

Fondue pot

The Vega and the Duster (cars)

Smoking on the airplane

Burger Chef!

My Dad's 1977 Ford pickup truck with CB and Radio Shack Archer speaker system

Movies like The Private Eyes and The Black Hole in the theater

There are a few that some of you will probably be like OHHH YEAH, I REMEMBER!!!!

I too was born in 1973, this is what I remember. I understand there's a lot of 80's stuff in here.

Star Wars

JAWS

HEY, KOOL-AID!

Crazy Cow Cereal

Shogun Warriors

TASTES GREAT! LESS FILLING!

Miami Dolphins Vs. Buffalo Bills on NBC with no announcers.

Tom Landry's American Express commercial. Because you never know when you're going to be surrounded...by Redskins.

Rodeos on ESPN

Arcades

Howard, Frank and Don on Monday Night Football

The Platters and Kool & The Gang's Schlitz Malt Liquor commercial. "No One Does It Like The Bull!"

Transformers

The Jordache Look

John Madden's Miller Lite commercial

"You got your chocolate in my peanut butter! You got your peanut butter on my chocolate!"

The Banana Splits

Sid & Marty Krofft

"You sunk my battleship!"

Saturday Night Fever album

Assassination attempt of Ronald Reagan

Boston Celtics Vs. Los Angeles Lakers

New York Seltzer

Syndicated television....Leave it to Beaver, Dick Van ***** Show

M*A*S*H

Getting up early in the morning and turning on the television and getting tone and bars

Star Blazers

Double your pleasure

Raise your hand if you're Sure!

Jolt! Cola

The flavor says "butter"

By Mennen

CBS Special Presentation

Rhapsody in Blue playing for United Airlines

Gill Cable

My parents also played this record, and this song scared me as a kid.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N3fHbjOsSaE&list=PLL44kuYYS8ynBEmPlnmGeoeD13xdJv9RQ&index=2

How am I able to show the picture of the video I am trying to paste here instead of just leaving the www link?

Edited by Mark Vader
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

On 2/25/2024 at 9:07 PM, Mark Vader said:

I too was born in 1973, this is what I remember. I understand there's a lot of 80's stuff in here.

Syndicated television....Leave it to Beaver, Dick Van ***** Show

M*A*S*H

Getting up early in the morning and turning on the television and getting tone and bars

Star Blazers

Double your pleasure

Raise your hand if you're Sure!

Jolt! Cola

The flavor says "butter"

By Mennen

CBS Special Presentation

Rhapsody in Blue playing for United Airlines

My parents also played this record, and this song scared me as a kid.

Speaking of commercials...

Taste long lasting freshness with Big Red

Calgon, take me away!

Time to make the donuts!

Please don't squeeze the Charmin

Be all that you can in the Army

Nobody demands more from a Datsun than Datsun... we are driven

Where's the Beef?

I got into Alan Parsons Project in my 40s, so I really never heard that song! This was the very first song I ever remember, a scratched 45 from my brother:

3423Untitled.png

On 2/16/2024 at 7:56 AM, Gregg said:

6 hours ago, Turk71 said:

The next night in Buffalo 5/9/77 was my first Dead show, and still one of my favorites (out of hundreds). I was not quite 16...

They were on fire 🫠

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&source=web&rct=j&opi=89978449&url=https://archive.org/details/gd77-05-09.sbd.connor.8304.sbeok.shnf&ved=2ahUKEwiYqarbkdqEAxWgFTQIHfjcBngQFnoECBYQAQ&usg=AOvVaw2Llq5l4bZHoddEo-I4hnoj

I've heard recordings of both and I prefer the Buffalo set list. Both were great performances, though.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1