Diggs cryptic comments - 2024 edition

Einstein

10 minutes ago, Beck Water said:

That would still leave a 40 reception, ~300 yd deficit over what Diggs contributed last year

This isn't a fair comparison because much of Diggs production last year was due to him being thrown the ball A LOT more than those rookies you mentioned. We force feed Diggs the ball. In fact, Diggs had 50+ more targets than all of them.

Targets

Diggs: 160 targets

Addison: 108 targets
Flowers: 108 targets
Smith-Njigba: 93 targets

Receptions per target

Diggs: 0.67 receptions per target

Addison: 0.65 receptions per target
Flowers: 0.71 receptions per target
Johnson: 0.68 receptions per target

Yards per target

Diggs: 7.4 yards per target

Addison: 8.4 yards per target
Flowers: 7.9 yards per target

Smith-Njigba: 6.75 yards per target

Summary: Diggs was second to last among the rookies listed above for receptions per target, and yards per target. A hypothesis could be made that if these receivers had the same share of targets that Diggs receives, not to mention the QB that Diggs has throwing him the ball, they would have had superior seasons. And doesn't even take into consideration that Addison played half the year with a mashup of QB's including Nick Mullins, Josh Dobbs, and Jaren Hall. Or that Smith-Njigba played the last third of the season with a mix of Drew Lock, or Geno Smith with a bad back injury.

(which was a big 'down year' for him.  Now let's look at who else is playing for Minnesota - Justin Jefferson, one of the best WR in the league. 

The situation looks a bit more bleak when you look at the second half of the seasons as well.

Diggs last 8 games

63 targets, 37 receptions (59% catch rate), 349 yards, 1 TD

Smith-Njigba last 8 games

45 targets, 30 receptions (67% catch rate), 303 yards, 3 TD's.

Flowers last 8 games

40 targets, 27 receptions (68% catch rate), 313 yards, 4 TD's.

Addison last 8 games

49 targets, 29 receptions, (59% catch rate), 377 yards, 3 TD's.

Summary: Over the last 8 games of the season, Diggs was outproduced by all of the rookie WRs mentioned. And this happened despite Addison having Nick Mullins, Josh Dobbs and Jaren Hall as their QB's. And Smith-Njigba having Drew Lock and an injured Geno Smith.

Addison undoubtedly benefited from defenses worrying about Jefferson

Addison had his best stretch of the season when Jefferson was out with a hamstring injury. I know this because I had Jefferson as a FF player and it was frustrating watching Addison feast.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Awesome! (+1) 2

4 minutes ago, SoonerBillsFan said:

Trade him.  He is a high end #2 now and way over paid for that.  NE were the best at getting rid of players a year before they fell off the cliff.  Diggs has 1 foot off.

See if someone above us will give us a 3rd and swap positions in the 1st.  Draft a high end rookie and move on

A high end #2 is what the Bills are looking for now, aren't they? 🤷

Diggs continues to be Josh's go to guy!! Watch the tape

• Haha (+1) 1

13 minutes ago, Solomon Grundy said:

A high end #2 is what the Bills are looking for now, aren't they? 🤷

Diggs continues to be Josh's go to guy!! Watch the tape

We have one in Samuel.  Trade Diggs, draft a rookie.

• Agree 1

7 minutes ago, Brand J said:

Remember the Diggs tweet that set the Bills trade in motion?

“It’s time for a change”

I’m sure there were Vikings fans doing the same as Bills fans, defending his posts, arguing he was just talking about changing his bed sheets. He has a toxic personality.

"You guys take social media too seriously"

"He doesnt mean anything by it"

etc.

He knows what he is doing. He is an intelligent man.

That being said, I don't blame Diggs for being frustrated either. Beane and McD had four years to get some more help on offense and they sat on their hands. And no, bringing in the corpse of Emmanuel Sanders and signing Andy Isabella to the practice squad is not what I mean by brining help to the offense.

There was just so little investment in the offense after the Diggs trade went down. And I don't just mean at the WR position

We picked two defense players (Kaiir Elam and Carlos Basham Jr) over stud linemen. And this isn't hindsight stuff - many of us really wnated these linemen AS THE PICKS WERE HAPPENING. A few examples:

A couple picks after we picked Basham, the Chiefs selected Creed Humphrey (who many of us were banging our hands on the table for during our pick). He is now the best Center in the NFL. One pick after we took Elam, the Cowboys took Tyler Smith (their Pro Bowl Guard). Two picks after Elam, the Ravens took Tyler Linderbaum, who is considered the second or third best Center after Humphrey. 

Just seems like weren't even trying on offense. "Just let Josh figure it out" seems to be the motto.

• Agree 4

4 minutes ago, stlbills13 said:

"Ready for watever"

Except for a perfect deep ball from Allen with the season on the line

I can't believe it took until page 42 for someone to launch this perfect (and factually correct) zinger.

Someone with a twitter or X or Insta or Meta or whatever it calls itself now account, ought to make that rejoinder to Diggs.

He was indeed not ready for that.

I've been thinking about this, and I'll put it out there.  

When Diggs came in 2020 and 2021, there were two guys in the room who were senior to him in tenure with the Bills and arguably on-par with accomplishments.  Diggs was coming to the Bills off back-to-back 1000+ yd seasons.

Brown had just had a 70+ reception 1000+ yd season, and he had one earlier in his career.

Beasley didn't have the yards, being a slot, but he had >100 targets close to 800 yds and 37 1st downs.  Diggs 1st year he came *this* close to breaking 1000 yds.

So in the kind of nebulous and invisible pecking order of an NFL WR room, from 2020-2021, there were at least 2 WR there with the production and seniority to tell Diggs to pipe down and shut up.

But in 2022, that all changed.  After Crowder broke his leg and went out, the WR room was Diggs, 3rd year guy and 50% catch rate Gabe Davis, bit player Isaiah McKenzie getting his first chance to start and struggling with it, and rookie Khalil Shakir.  It was reported that Isaiah McKenzie and Gabe Davis went to Beane and asked him if he'd consider signing Cole Beasley.  The fan interpretation has been, "Bills were so desperate for WR talent they signed guys off the couch".  But then there's the report that in 2022, Diggs used to yell at Allen in the locker room for perceived mistakes or miscues and Allen just took it, but got to the point where other guys were uncomfortable and where Allen wasn't talking to Diggs and their relationship was fundamentally broken.

What if the reason McKenzie and Davis went to Beane was that they were searching for a solution, and in signing Beasley they would be bringing back a "Dad" player everyone respected for his unquestioned mental and physical toughness and who had a good relationship with Josh, who could maybe rein Diggs in?

Now in 2023, the Bills moved on from McKenzie but only brought in a "gadget guy" in Hardy and a replacement for Kumerow in Sherfield, then a late round rookie in Shorter and some UDFA who quickly became non-factors.  So the WR room dynamic was unchanged.  Although to his credit, I saw glimpses of Diggs encouraging other guys on the sideline and bucking them up vs. telling the tight ends to "cool off 'cuz I need my Bag." and apparently he cobbled together enough relationship with Josh that they were talking again.

But with the thought that possibly, the dynamic with Diggs in the WR room has been a bit "me first" and short on accountability for Diggs, listen to some quotes from Hollis from the Atlantic article, linked in Mack Hollins Hates Soup thread.  "Every spot in my mind and in every receiver’s mind is up for grabs. Just because he got a nice signing bonus, there’s no free lunches now that I am here. If you’re a prima donna, this isn’t the room for you. You’ll get called out for it, at least by me. I don’t like soft people." and “I think scholarship kids are pampered,” he said. “Now, a lot of them worked hard and that’s why they got scholarships, but in my mind, they’re just pampered. Just like early draft picks are pampered. I’ll always think that no matter what. I was a fourth-round pick, I was pampered too. I got away with more stuff. It made me feel soft, I didn’t like that.”

Just maybe, part of the logic behind the Bills signing Mack Hollins is that he sounds like he's got a bit of the "Honey Badger" in him (He Don't Care!), and might feel comfortable calling Diggs out if he mis-behaves?

• Like (+1) 1

16 minutes ago, Einstein said:

"You guys take social media too seriously"

"He doesnt mean anything by it"

etc.

He knows what he is doing. He is an intelligent man.

That being said, I don't blame Diggs for being frustrated either. Beane and McD had four years to get some more help on offense and they sat on their hands. And no, bringing in the corpse of Emmanuel Sanders and signing Andy Isabella to the practice squad is not what I mean by brining help to the offense.

There was just so little investment in the offense after the Diggs trade went down. And I don't just mean at the WR position

We picked two defense players (Kaiir Elam and Carlos Basham Jr) over stud linemen. And this isn't hindsight stuff - many of us really wnated these linemen AS THE PICKS WERE HAPPENING. A few examples:

A couple picks after we picked Basham, the Chiefs selected Creed Humphrey (who many of us were banging our hands on the table for during our pick). He is now the best Center in the NFL. One pick after we took Elam, the Cowboys took Tyler Smith (their Pro Bowl Guard). Two picks after Elam, the Ravens took Tyler Linderbaum, who is considered the second or third best Center after Humphrey. 

Just seems like weren't even trying on offense. "Just let Josh figure it out" seems to be the motto.

I felt this way until this past year.

Hes part of the problem.  You’re not elite unless you do it in the playoffs… and he’s had enough time to show us he can or cannot. 

He cannot. 

He’s just another player around Josh Allen that doesn’t step up when it matters against KC. 

• Like (+1) 3
  • Agree 1

13 hours ago, Warriorspikes51 said:

I’ve loved the guy, but at what point does this stuff become more negative than positive. 

IMO he did this to try and facilitate another team to trade for him

The Bills I’m sure would love to trade him at this point. The cap hit would destroy any semblance of building this year’s roster. Diggs signed the extension and knows this. He’s a diva who loves attention and he is fully aware he can’t be traded.

Posted (edited)
12 hours ago, Alphadawg7 said:

But carry on with your catty nonsense like you guys are on Housewives of Buffalo or something.  

I really want to help you. I believe the instructions in this 10 second video will honestly help you to feel better throughout the day when reading this forum:

ezgif-4-b931420b8c.gif

Edited by Einstein
  • Like (+1) 2
  • Haha (+1) 5
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

28 minutes ago, Beck Water said:

I can't believe it took until page 42 for someone to launch this perfect (and factually correct) zinger.

Someone with a twitter or X or Insta or Meta or whatever it calls itself now account, ought to make that rejoinder to Diggs.

He was indeed not ready for that.

I've been thinking about this, and I'll put it out there.  

When Diggs came in 2020 and 2021, there were two guys in the room who were senior to him in tenure with the Bills and arguably on-par with accomplishments.  Diggs was coming to the Bills off back-to-back 1000+ yd seasons.

Brown had just had a 70+ reception 1000+ yd season, and he had one earlier in his career.

Beasley didn't have the yards, being a slot, but he had >100 targets close to 800 yds and 37 1st downs.  Diggs 1st year he came *this* close to breaking 1000 yds.

So in the kind of nebulous and invisible pecking order of an NFL WR room, from 2020-2021, there were at least 2 WR there with the production and seniority to tell Diggs to pipe down and shut up.

But in 2022, that all changed.  After Crowder broke his leg and went out, the WR room was Diggs, 3rd year guy and 50% catch rate Gabe Davis, bit player Isaiah McKenzie getting his first chance to start and struggling with it, and rookie Khalil Shakir.  It was reported that Isaiah McKenzie and Gabe Davis went to Beane and asked him if he'd consider signing Cole Beasley.  The fan interpretation has been, "Bills were so desperate for WR talent they signed guys off the couch".  But then there's the report that in 2022, Diggs used to yell at Allen in the locker room for perceived mistakes or miscues and Allen just took it, but got to the point where other guys were uncomfortable and where Allen wasn't talking to Diggs and their relationship was fundamentally broken.

What if the reason McKenzie and Davis went to Beane was that they were searching for a solution, and in signing Beasley they would be bringing back a "Dad" player everyone respected for his unquestioned mental and physical toughness and who had a good relationship with Josh, who could maybe rein Diggs in?

Now in 2023, the Bills moved on from McKenzie but only brought in a "gadget guy" in Hardy and a replacement for Kumerow in Sherfield, then a late round rookie in Shorter and some UDFA who quickly became non-factors.  So the WR room dynamic was unchanged.  Although to his credit, I saw glimpses of Diggs encouraging other guys on the sideline and bucking them up vs. telling the tight ends to "cool off 'cuz I need my Bag." and apparently he cobbled together enough relationship with Josh that they were talking again.

But with the thought that possibly, the dynamic with Diggs in the WR room has been a bit "me first" and short on accountability for Diggs, listen to some quotes from Hollis from the Atlantic article, linked in Mack Hollins Hates Soup thread.  "Every spot in my mind and in every receiver’s mind is up for grabs. Just because he got a nice signing bonus, there’s no free lunches now that I am here. If you’re a prima donna, this isn’t the room for you. You’ll get called out for it, at least by me. I don’t like soft people." and “I think scholarship kids are pampered,” he said. “Now, a lot of them worked hard and that’s why they got scholarships, but in my mind, they’re just pampered. Just like early draft picks are pampered. I’ll always think that no matter what. I was a fourth-round pick, I was pampered too. I got away with more stuff. It made me feel soft, I didn’t like that.”

Just maybe, part of the logic behind the Bills signing Mack Hollins is that he sounds like he's got a bit of the "Honey Badger" in him (He Don't Care!), and might feel comfortable calling Diggs out if he mis-behaves?

This would make me sad. If Josh can’t maintain control of Diggs, and we are relying on Mack Hollins to do so, let’s just trade him post 6/1 and be done with it.

1 hour ago, Low Positive said:

I think that Buffalo fans are used to NHL trades because player for player trades are common. The NFL is a different beast. Other teams cannot “pick up a chunk of dead cap.” It is money that has already been paid in signing bonuses to circumvent the cap. If you trade a player, you pay the price for the cap shenanigans. If the Bills trade or cut Diggs they will carry a massive amount of cap for a player that is playing for another team. There is no way around it.

Someone will bring up Ostweiler as a response to this, but the texans traded a stupid contract, not dead money. 

Got it.  

• Like (+1) 2

42 pages about a tweet. Fans say it's annoying when media stirs the pot, meanwhile there are hundreds of comments about how his random tweets indicate he wants out of Buffalo.

23 minutes ago, SoonerBillsFan said:

We have one in Samuel.  Trade Diggs, draft a rookie.

Dude, please try to keep up.  Samuel has been excelling as a slot receiver who can be versatile and play outside.

What is usually meant by "#2 WR" is the flanker or Z receiver, the guy who plays outside and stretches the field.

Since Samuel has played a large number of his snaps for the last 4 seasons in the slot (excepting 2021, when he was IR'd early in the season), including his most successful career year under Joe Brady, it seems reasonable to conclude that Brady is likely to continue to use him primarily in the slot, or at least as a mix of slot vs outside.

Therefore unless we think Shakir is ready to take on that outside receiver role almost full time (which, I guess we might?), we still need a #2.

27 minutes ago, Turk71 said:

Diggs doesn't act like a grownup. He's like a 14 year old in a 30 year old body.

Enough of this childish *****

This seems like a common enough trait of successful, productive WR in the prime of their careers (Odell Beckham, Antonio Brown, etc) that one wonders whether it either goes with the ego and personality needed to successfully play WR in the league, or whether it results from all the head-blows these guys inevitably take.