Three Potential Landing Spots For Tee Higgins

Peace Frog

2 minutes ago, TheyCallMeAndy said:

Tee Higgins is coming off the worst season of his career across the board. 

Catch % and drop % are awful. 

He also didn't play with Burrow for 7 games this year. Either way he's the top WR in the UFA group by most evaluators. 

1 hour ago, GunnerBill said:

I'd take Higgins over Ridley every day and twice on Sundays. 

But Ridley on a 1 year deal here is interesting. I still think he is likley out of our price range though. 

Maybe. After a really hot start he cooled off significantly. If the Jags got Higgins (which to me is the stretch), how much do we think Ridley goes for? He’s already 29. Less than Gabe Davis probably, right?

• Disagree 1

6 minutes ago, colin said:

does hill really get 30 a year?

these numbers are bananas, B A N A N A S

His contract is worth $30m AAV, yep. His actual cap hit this year is $30m too, the previous two years it hasn't been. The cap hit the final year (which he will never play on) is $54m.

8 minutes ago, FireChans said:

Maybe. After a really hot start he cooled off significantly. If the Jags got Higgins (which to me is the stretch), how much do we think Ridley goes for? He’s already 29. Less than Gabe Davis probably, right?

Really interesting question. Spotrac has him at $17m. That is way too high IMO. I can see him missing out in that initial wave of free agency and ending up signing a 1 year $10m type deal. 

Darnell Mooney is my FA target.

4 minutes ago, Warriorspikes51 said:

I'd rather see the Bills invest 2 or even 3 draft picks in the position 

This offense was elite with Diggs, Brown, Sanders, Beasley.

I think they’ll draft two guys, but Beane always also wants to address any glaring issues in FA as well

• Agree 1

3 minutes ago, Warriorspikes51 said:

Mooney is interesting as is Hollywood Brown 

I think Mooney fits with what we value, a guy with position flexibility that can really separate.  Value should be down a bit coming from that run first situation in CHI.

Ideal scenario would then be to add more of an outside physical presence like Legette in the draft.

6 minutes ago, SWATeam said:

I think Mooney fits with what we value, a guy with position flexibility that can really separate.  Value should be down a bit coming from that run first situation in CHI.

Ideal scenario would then be to add more of an outside physical presence like Legette in the draft.

That's a solid idea.

Not sure of the cap implications, but Cortland Sutton may be available for a mid round pick. 

I would be pretty happy with him. He was a menace against us.  A change of scenery could make him even better

7 hours ago, BillsFanForever19 said:

Not even a remote chance.

For one, he'll be almost certainly Franchise Tagged. The Bengals are 61 million under the cap and still have 2 years left on Chases's Rookie deal. I'd be shocked if Higgins went anywhere.

Even if he wasn't Franchised, we can't afford him. Beane certainly has moves in mind to get us out from under ~52 million over the cap. But enough to get Higgins, who will be the highest paid Free Agent WR available and fill all the holes we have? Not feasible.

It'll be a 1st Rounder. Maybe we get lucky with a mid tier guy who overplays his hand and has to settle for less late in FA (ala Floyd at DE this season) to go along with him. But bidding wars and Day 1 big splash ticket items are a no go.

Only so many spots (plus you have picks from 2023 and new picks in 2024)- same thing happened last year with floyd at DE (and to a lesser extent ford at DT).  

51 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

His contract is worth $30m AAV, yep. His actual cap hit this year is $30m too, the previous two years it hasn't been. The cap hit the final year (which he will never play on) is $54m.

Really interesting question. Spotrac has him at $17m. That is way too high IMO. I can see him missing out in that initial wave of free agency and ending up signing a 1 year $10m type deal. 

id take ridley at 10 for next year over a long term 22+ a year deal for higgins.  

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 1

1 hour ago, The Jokeman said:

He also didn't play with Burrow for 7 games this year. Either way he's the top WR in the UFA group by most evaluators. 

I don't see why they can't keep higgins around - i don't think he'll play on a tag though so that will be an issue.

They have cap space, but there are a few priority free agents.  Reader, Higgins, Boyd, Williams.  They can make more cap space though - cut mixon, extend hilton, extend hill etc. 

7 hours ago, Peace Frog said:

I don't see this happening besides we have that same guy in Shorter already in the building . Plus i would like to see what Isabella can do if given his chance on the field he ran a 4.31 so he's pretty quick and now he knows the Bills offense & Brady might make him the guy .

They just need to work with both of them & develop them i think that is why they kept Shorter on IR this season because they saw some good things they can work with him on & didn't want him to get poached by the Pats or another team . 

• Haha (+1) 1

7 minutes ago, Bleeding Bills Blue said:

I don't see why they can't keep higgins around - i don't think he'll play on a tag though so that will be an issue.

They have cap space, but there are a few priority free agents.  Reader, Higgins, Boyd, Williams.  They can make more cap space though - cut mixon, extend hilton, extend hill etc. 

Chase is clearly their number 1 and to me re-signing Higgins to top 15 WR money going to restrict what can do with other guys, like the Bills we can't give another WR elite money because of Diggs, Josh's and Von's contract. As a result think HIggins leaves Cincy due to money Burrow, Hendrickson, Hubbard and Chase going to eventually command. Toss is Mike Brown isn't the richest of owners so he might not be able to pay all those guys so they have to determine priorities. As good as Higgins is he isn't Chase. 

7 minutes ago, T master said:

I don't see this happening besides we have that same guy in Shorter already in the building . Plus i would like to see what Isabella can do if given his chance on the field he ran a 4.31 so he's pretty quick and now he knows the Bills offense & Brady might make him the guy .

They just need to work with both of them & develop them i think that is why they kept Shorter on IR this season because they saw some good things they can work with him on & didn't want him to get poached by the Pats or another team . 

Isabella likely not on this team in 2024 except for the PS  if Hamler shows he's healthy. 

20 minutes ago, colin said:

id take ridley at 10 for next year over a long term 22+ a year deal for higgins.  

I'm out on Ridley. Just seemed to disappear when things were set up for him to show up. Seemed on the wrong page with Lawrence at times - just reminded me of Gabe.

4 hours ago, GunnerBill said:

I don't think Tee will be tagged. These days the tag is very, very rarely used to actually keep a player an extra year and then let them walk. The tag is only used to retain control beyond the league year and the legal tampering period opening and allowing you more time to do a long term deal. So you have to believe the Bengals are going to pay Tee long term I think for them to tag him. And I just don't see that. Spotrac has Tee at $18.6m but that is too low IMO. Mike Williams got $20m AAV. Chris Godwin got $20m AAV. He is better than both. A team is going to pay Tee to be a number 1 receiver. He is going to be somewhere around Terry McLaurin money - about $22.5m AAV. 

I don't think Cincy are committing that much to him with Chase due to re-set the market (and the top of the market is currently Tyreek at $30m AAV.... Chase is going past that) later this summer. They could try and hold off paying Chase until after next year but his side are agitating and the best way to spread the hits out is to include years 4 and 5 of the rookie deal in the new contract structure.  

I would agree with you about any other team, but the Bengals are just different. All the talk around town is tagging Higgins to run it back with a (presumably) healthy Burrow to take one last swing at winning the SB next year. If that were to happen, I wouldn't be surprised if the Bengals moved on from both Chase and Higgins. Mike Brown is drought-era Ralph in his reluctance to pay players and coaches. 

• Disagree 1

1 hour ago, Warriorspikes51 said:

I'd rather see the Bills invest 2 or even 3 draft picks in the position 

This offense was elite with Diggs, Brown, Sanders, Beasley.

I think multiple would be overkill.  I see Shakir developing fantastically and want him to evolve into more of a role - Shakir/Kincaid/Cook are our youngsters that make the future bright.

I would like a high draft pick on WR and a vet.  The high draft pick would hopefully be developed to take Diggs place.

The vet would be a better version of Gabe and plugged in immediately.  Beane would probably wait it out a bit and get good value on the vet WR.   My hope would be a disrespected/discounted M Evans on maybe a one or two year deal (possibly overlapping Diggs contract for protection there).  IMO, M Evans is one WR who really might value team/contender/QB considerations into his choice and pricing.  

20 minutes ago, Low Positive said:

I would agree with you about any other team, but the Bengals are just different. All the talk around town is tagging Higgins to run it back with a (presumably) healthy Burrow to take one last swing at winning the SB next year. If that were to happen, I wouldn't be surprised if the Bengals moved on from both Chase and Higgins. Mike Brown is drought-era Ralph in his reluctance to pay players and coaches. 

Would Higgins play on the tag? I suspect he'd do a Lev Bell.

Just now, GunnerBill said:

Would Higgins play on the tag? I suspect he'd do a Lev Bell.

I don't know. What I do know is that Burrow, Chase, and Higgins are very close and have indicated that they want to keep playing together. Duke Tobin's comments about the situation were kind of odd: https://bengalswire.usatoday.com/2024/01/31/bengals-duke-tobin-tee-higgins-franchise-tag-rumors-speculation/ 

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.