Dog Raw Food Diet

My dogs eat food made for dogs. ONLY. 

When you say raw chicken legs, do you mean with the bone? Aren’t the bones very soft and susceptible to splintering. This could lead to all kinds of bad things happening inside your dog! 

As @Augie pointed out, chicken (and poultry in general) bones are really dangerous for dogs.

My one pit was briefly on a raw diet while she was at the rescue before I got her. They couldnt keep weight on her with it, and she was never NOT hungry. Which is pits in general, but even moreso on this diet. Again, mainly beef and veggies with some pork. No poultry unless it was deboned.

Now that we are down from 3 dogs to 1, we have the remaining boxer on https://www.thefarmersdog.com/

It's a bit pricey for multiple big dogs, but I'd look into it over going raw with chicken bones.

17 minutes ago, JDHillFan said:

Raw chicken bones will digest. Cooked chicken bones will splinter and can cause serious issues. Introducing raw meat will likely give the dog the runs for a period of time. 

Good thing I have a doggy door where they can go in and out anytime they want lol.

I'm mostly afraid of the salmonella potential.  People are obviously are doing it even though it's not vet recommended.  

31 minutes ago, JDHillFan said:

Raw chicken bones will digest. Cooked chicken bones will splinter and can cause serious issues. Introducing raw meat will likely give the dog the runs for a period of time. 

This

I've never heard of this before.

I was given The Farmers Pet fresh pet food for one of my fosters once.   I'm sure it was healthy and good for him. And I have seen raw beef bones for dogs. But never poultry or pork bones either that I can remember

My uncle did this with his larger dogs once they got to about 90 lbs. It worked well for him and the two he did it with lived long lives and were not sick often, at least to my knowledge. He did not do for smaller dogs though.

My septic tank pumpout service always voted thumbs down on those weekly treatments that you flush down the toilet.

They always said better to just throw a dead chicken in the tank after a pumpout, to get the microbes percolating. 🤔

That was Darryl #2 that told me that.

I recall watching a video on Youtube about something I literally can't remember.

They were interviewing a wealthy French aristocratic sort of woman about something...

She was in her own "castle" of a home for the interview, in the kitchen.

On the floor in the kitchen was her big dog.  He had the most ENORMOUS block of Parmigiano Reggiano cheese in his mouth....in the USA it would cost $50...and he was just slowly gnawing on that thing and working it....kind of like a huge gobstopper.  

He seemed to be having the time of his life.

Not sure if that's good for the dog or not.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.