Inside Jets dysfunction article in the Athletic

stevewin

there is so much to love in this article.  Yet every bit of it was completely predictable.  Rodgers signing was desperation that set off another series of awful decisions.

https://theathletic.com/5238599/2024/01/31/jets-aaron-rodgers-robert-saleh-season-collapse/?source=user_shared_article  (original).

Joe Douglas is "assistant GM"

Rodgers and Hackett are "frat brothers"

Woody brings social media/fan opinions to Saleh in conversations about "what wasn't working on Offense"

Edited by Mr. WEO
  • Thank you (+1) 3

Connor Hughes on X: "Breaking: The #Jets and Rex Hogan have mutually agreed to part ways, sources tell @snytv. The move allows Hogan, who spent the last five seasons as the team’s assistant general manager, to explore other opportunities. Hogan is well respected around the league. He will be a… https://t.co/AhrokxF7CJ" / X (twitter.com)

6 minutes ago, Gregg said:

Connor Hughes on X: "Breaking: The #Jets and Rex Hogan have mutually agreed to part ways, sources tell @snytv. The move allows Hogan, who spent the last five seasons as the team’s assistant general manager, to explore other opportunities. Hogan is well respected around the league. He will be a… https://t.co/AhrokxF7CJ" / X (twitter.com)

good for him.  He didn't like working under Aaron Rodgers

• Haha (+1) 6

Least surprising outcome possible. Jets always get the hype never the quality. The team has a good defense, but the offense doesn't have depth and Rodgers would've had a hard season with that offensive line and he himself is a moron. I still think they can be a playoff team next year but they fundamentally have been a circus for two decades now.

• Agree 2

3 hours ago, stuvian said:

Dalvin Cook was in and out of there long enough to be a source. I feel sorry for Zach Wilson after reading that. He was doomed from the start. 

How amazing is it that billionaires turn over the keys to the castle to children like Hackett? The guy has done nothing but ride the coat tails of Aaron Rodgers.

Yea my opinion of Wilson went way up after reading this:

Saleh told the quarterback he would be inactive for the rest of the season and that the team would try to trade him in the offseason.  But in the days before the Falcons game, Saleh reversed course and told Wilson to start practicing as if he might play again. He did not play against Atlanta, but after the Jets lost, Wilson knew they were considering starting him again. He expressed reluctance about returning to play and said he would politely decline if asked, based on his previous conversation with Saleh and fears of getting injured behind the Jets’ makeshift offensive line.

Like a lot of other folks I thought Wilson was a baby for saying he didn't want to go back in.  But if Salah told him that he would be inactive the rest of the season and then changed his mind that is non Salah not Wilson.

• Agree 1

4 hours ago, stevewin said:

Subscription only  (and not written by Tyler Dunne 😛)

No surprise Hackett confirmed to be a clown show

Saleh doesn't come off great either

Interesting too they confirm the story that Wilson did in fact say he didn't want to play again

Also they mention while things started with Rodgers taking Wilson under his wing and being "the big brother he never had" - by the end "Wilson’s feelings about his idol soured over the season."

It ends with Jets players being optimistic because Rodgers was "picking apart" the scout team when he came back.

Thanks for posting all the excerpts.  

If this is all true, they're a mess and it doesn't sound like even a Rodgers-led Jets team would threaten the Bills next season.    

22 minutes ago, CincyBillsFan said:

Yea my opinion of Wilson went way up after reading this:

Saleh told the quarterback he would be inactive for the rest of the season and that the team would try to trade him in the offseason.  But in the days before the Falcons game, Saleh reversed course and told Wilson to start practicing as if he might play again. He did not play against Atlanta, but after the Jets lost, Wilson knew they were considering starting him again. He expressed reluctance about returning to play and said he would politely decline if asked, based on his previous conversation with Saleh and fears of getting injured behind the Jets’ makeshift offensive line.

Like a lot of other folks I thought Wilson was a baby for saying he didn't want to go back in.  But if Salah told him that he would be inactive the rest of the season and then changed his mind that is non Salah not Wilson.

My feeling at the time and even more so now is that I can't blame Wilson at all, either.

He already had a ton of bad film out there. Their season was going nowhere. Playing behind that line not only risks injury but also there isn't any hope of him playing better and is just going to hurt his chances of landing somewhere else even more. 

I don't think Wilson will ever be an elite starter. But he has flashed some talent. He was mismanaged from day 1 there. 

Of the 2 I can see him having a longer NFL career than Mac Jones.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

30 minutes ago, corta765 said:

Least surprising outcome possible. Jets always get the hype never the quality. The team has a good defense, but the offense doesn't have depth and Rodgers would've had a hard season with that offensive line and he himself is a moron. I still think they can be a playoff team next year but they fundamentally have been a circus for two decades now.

They deserve the hype around this time. After all they are the defending off-season champions.

• Haha (+1) 1

49 minutes ago, Gregg said:

I just picture Rex Ryan sneaking around the Jets offices in a Hulk Hogan disguise.

"OH YEAH BROTHER, LETS GET A F$%&IN SNACK!"

• Haha (+1) 2

17 minutes ago, BuffaloBillyG said:

My feeling at the time and even more so now is that I can't blame Wilson at all, either.

He already had a ton of bad film out there. Their season was going nowhere. Playing behind that line not only risks injury but also there isn't any hope of him playing better and is just going to hurt his chances of landing somewhere else even more. 

I don't think Wilson will ever be an elite starter. But he has flashed some talent. He was mismanaged from day 1 there. 

Of the 2 I can see him having a longer NFL career than Mac Jones.

One thing Wilson did do was run for his life behind that line - I don't think anyone should assume Rodger would have been able to sustain any kind of elite play behind that line and with clown Hackett as his co-coordinator.  Even if the Jets plug in a Olineman or two I don't see Rodgers return next year resulting in all sunshine and rainbows.   Too bad Jets won't be on Hard Knocks next year - best would be in-season while everything is crashing after optimistic TC and Rodgers carving up the scout team 😛

Edited by stevewin

4 hours ago, thenorthremembers said:

Rodgers is an intelligent guy, but he isn't an emotionally intelligent guy.   He knows a lot about a lot, but his lack of emotional intelligence doesn't allow him to recognize the things he doesn't know, for example, being an NFL GM.   His arrogance led him to believe he should be involved in roster decisions and play calling.    Being a winning organization, the Packers saw it for what it was and moved on.    The Jets, being a losing organization with a head coach who is equally as arrogant bought into it.  The Packers chose the organization over Rodgers.  The Jets made Rodgers the organization.    

I highly, HIGHLY question the bolded statements as well.

He likes to think he is intelligent. But far too often nowadays, folks confuse "having thoughts" with "intelligence".

• Agree 1

4 hours ago, uticaclub said:

Jets are no better with Carr

Couldn't disagree with this more. And I'm by far NOT a Carr fan.

Rodgers caused a huge ripple in the Jets off-season that set everything in motion. Without Rodgers Hackett likely isn't the OC. Without Rodgers bringing in his buddies like Lazard, Cobb ect the Jets have more money to invest in their OL. Without going "all in for Aaron" they likely don't spend a dumb amount to bring in Dalvin Cook. 

Carr is the definition of mediocre on a good day. But I feel like it would have made the team the Jets were allowed to field better.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.