Using the Marshawn Lynch technique against opposing QB's in the playoffs

Einstein

I was thinking about what Marshawn Lynch said on 60 Minute sports a while back. He said: "That's when it just clicked in my mind, that if you just run through somebody's face, a lot of people ain't going to be able to take that over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over again."

I loved the quote. And it got to thinking - why don't teams use this approach in the playoffs, with the opposing QB?

Scenario: Say we are playing Mahomes or Burrow in the playoffs, and our players are told that every time you're anywhere near him, you pummel him. Whether he threw the ball out of bounds, or to a receiver, or even just handed it off. Tackle him. Just consistently bring the guy down. Play after play after play after play - Like Marshawn said about running. To be clear i'm not advocating to intentionally injure. This is more of a psychological game.

Sure, you will get some roughing-the-passer flags, but I hypothesize that the in-game damage to that players psyche may be worth it. A few other factors:

1) In the playoffs, refs tend to swallow their whistle. But even when they call a big penalty, they are reluctant to do it twice. Or three times. Or four times. Or five times. A team could play off this fact and repeatedly pummel the opposing QB, forcing the ref to repeatedly throw the flag.

2) Even if the refs do throw the flag 4 or 5 times, I think i'm willing to give an opponent a couple easy trips down the field to put some wear and tear on the mind and body of the opponents best player.

And keep in mind, roughing-the-passer flags do NOT count toward the two personal fouls for ejection rule. So players could do it over and over and the only penalty is 15 yards. Maybe there is another rule I'm unaware of? Or maybe they could eject someone for unsportsmanlike conduct after a bunch of them?

Some may say it's low brow. Classless. Etc. I say people don't remember the penalties - they just remember the victories. 

• Eyeroll 1
  • Haha (+1) 1
  • Dislike 3

9 minutes ago, Einstein said:

I was thinking about what Marshawn Lynch said on 60 Minute sports a while back. He said: "That's when it just clicked in my mind, that if you just run through somebody's face, a lot of people ain't going to be able to take that over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over again."

I loved the quote. And it got to thinking - why don't teams use this approach in the playoffs, with the opposing QB?

Scenario: Say we are playing Mahomes or Burrow in the playoffs, and our players are told that every time you're anywhere near him, you pummel him. Whether he threw the ball out of bounds, or to a receiver, or even just handed it off. Tackle him. Just consistently bring the guy down. Play after play after play after play - Like Marshawn said about running. To be clear i'm not advocating to intentionally injure. This is more of a psychological game.

Sure, you will get some roughing-the-passer flags, but I hypothesize that the in-game damage to that players psyche may be worth it. A few other factors:

1) In the playoffs, refs tend to swallow their whistle. But even when they call a big penalty, they are reluctant to do it twice. Or three times. Or four times. Or five times. A team could play off this fact and repeatedly pummel the opposing QB, forcing the ref to repeatedly throw the flag.

2) Even if the refs do throw the flag 4 or 5 times, I think i'm willing to give an opponent a couple easy trips down the field to put some wear and tear on the mind and body of the opponents best player.

And keep in mind, roughing-the-passer flags do NOT count toward the two personal fouls for ejection rule. So players could do it over and over and the only penalty is 15 yards. Maybe there is another rule I'm unaware of? Or maybe they could eject someone for unsportsmanlike conduct after a bunch of them?

Some may say it's low brow. Classless. Etc. I say people don't remember the penalties - they just remember the victories. 

How did that work out for the Ravens?  

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 2

1 minute ago, BuffaloBillies said:

Hit the guy when legal to do so. That's it.

Bills do things the right way. Not a dirty team.

What you're talking about is dirty.

Cheating garnered the Patriots a trophy case that is stuffed with Lombardi’s.

1 minute ago, GunnerBill said:

There is the targeting rule now too though. 

That’s a good thought. I’ll have to check the wording on that rule.

12 minutes ago, Einstein said:

I saw somewhere that the crew that refereed the AFC championship game tended to favor the home team and called a lot of personal fouls.  Considering the Chiefs players were egging the Ravens players into penalties, it would not surprise me if knowing these tendencies, this was part of the Chiefs game plan.

The Ravens tried this on Sunday and it failed miserably. The Ravens were stupid dirty trying this with Mahomes. I haven't seen a head slap on QB like that since my childhood. Maybe Lyle Alzado? Mahomes still beat them.

Hockey is about the only sport Ive seen this style or finishing your hit used successfully to throw a player off. Football you just dont get the chances to do it. Look at Brady 20 years of barely getting caressed by rushers.

• Thank you (+1) 1

“If” a coach did such a thing, he would be inviting the same in response, are you willing to watch Allen take cheap shots all game long? 

that and Marshawn Lynch is a not someone to take advice from…

• Like (+1) 1

If you look at the Giants success against Brady it was hitting him as much as possible.  Started getting happy feet.  I think with Mahomes the same could be accomplished but likely he will get every flag he begs for.  I was amazed how he was in officials ear on a sideline spot on a punt . 

1 hour ago, Einstein said:

This would work, except we are Bills fans... We know which way the yellow flags fly 😐😐😐

The problem with this is that if you make it that obvious, you can expect your own QB to receive the very same treatment in short order.

And that is not fair to your QB.

There are hidden opportunities in games to take those shots, i.e. 2nd/short around midfield, early downs in goaltogo situations, when a QB exposes himself moving in traffic, etc. Ed Oliver recognizes these, takes those shots and gets called for it occasionally but is crafty enough about it that it doesn't blow back on to his own QB.

To transpose and butcher Saruman: For all your wisdom, you have not subtlety. ;)

• Like (+1) 1

Sounds great in theory but is pretty much negated by the fact that almost everything you described would be considered roughing the passer.

If we had somebody like Bosa, or if Von Miller does indeed return to form (I think he'll mostly get there) then we would've been able to do this far more than we did. Finding a guy who is even close to what Bosa or TJ Watt is would make this team digustingly good.

2 hours ago, Simon said:

The problem with this is that if you make it that obvious, you can expect your own QB to receive the very same treatment in short order.

3 hours ago, Don Otreply said:

“If” a coach did such a thing, he would be inviting the same in response

This is an excellent point that I hadn’t considered.

And that retaliation is likely exactly what would happen. Dang.

Ok I can hang my Defensive Coordinator hat up for the off-season now 😂

Edited by Einstein
  • Haha (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.