Core concepts of Joe Brady's offense

Many of us have asked "what is HIS offense"  I found an article on the Athletic that breaks down what Joe's concepts are for his offense. I like how there are option routes underneath which we have been lacking and Kurt Warner even said was missing from our offense.  From what all I have read on various articles, Joe's offense needs speed. Diggs still has enough, Shakir has plenty, but we need another really good WR to compete for a top slot, and better depth.  Kincaid should thrive in this offense.https://theathletic.com/1606403/2020/02/20/teds-film-room-core-concepts-from-lsu-that-oc-joe-brady-may-use-in-carolina/

Edited by SoonerBillsFan
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

We need someone that can stretch the field and make room underneath for Diggs, Kincaid and Shakir. If cook could spend some time with the Juggs machine, that wouldn't hurt either.

Edited by babulator
  • Like (+1) 4
  • Agree 3
  • Thank you (+1) 3

Joe started putting together his offense when he was with Sean Payton and the Saints, and continued to evolve it with LSU as the Pass game coordinator.  Being wide and vertical were both hall marks of this offense at LSU. 

So in Carolina, the problem was that they had a horrific OL and a non-mobile QB in Teddy Bridgewater, so couldn't take advantage of a pretty good skill core. They went from middling in 2020 to terrible in 2021. Brady probably also learned some tough lessons in not trying to force concepts you don't have the talent for. 

I think if Brady could get his ideal prototypes, he'd have an offense that attacks downfield and intermediate, and uses the run game to keep defenses honest and especially use the RBs in the pass game. He's why CEH was a 1st round pick. 

He showed remarkable maturity this season in going away with what he showed in all his early years, recognizing he simply didn't have down field weapons this season, and transformed the offense into a power, grind offense. 

If he can add a couple of downfield weapons I think he'll really engage Josh Allen's true strengths

• Like (+1) 8
  • Agree 2
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 8

1 hour ago, Aussie Joe said:

So we need another WR huh?

Would have never guessed…, 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

Sorry guys, It wasn't a paywall when I read it.  What sucks is it had video examples of play designs that were really good.

1 hour ago, appoo said:

Joe started putting together his offense when he was with Sean Payton and the Saints, and continued to evolve it with LSU as the Pass game coordinator.  Being wide and vertical were both hall marks of this offense at LSU. 

So in Carolina, the problem was that they had a horrific OL and a non-mobile QB in Teddy Bridgewater, so couldn't take advantage of a pretty good skill core. They went from middling in 2020 to terrible in 2021. Brady probably also learned some tough lessons in not trying to force concepts you don't have the talent for. 

I think if Brady could get his ideal prototypes, he'd have an offense that attacks downfield and intermediate, and uses the run game to keep defenses honest and especially use the RBs in the pass game. He's why CEH was a 1st round pick. 

He showed remarkable maturity this season in going away with what he showed in all his early years, recognizing he simply didn't have down field weapons this season, and transformed the offense into a power, grind offense. 

If he can add a couple of downfield weapons I think he'll really engage Josh Allen's true strengths

Agreed. You could really see Peytons influence in his route combos.

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, SoonerBillsFan said:

Many of us have asked "what is HIS offense"  I found an article on the Atlantic that breaks down what Joe's concepts are for his offense. I like how there are option routes underneath which we have been lacking and Kurt Warner even said was missing from our offense.  From what all I have read on various articles, Joe's offense needs speed. Diggs still has enough, Shakir has plenty, but we need another really good WR to compete for a top slot, and better depth.  Kincaid should thrive in this offense.https://theathletic.com/1606403/2020/02/20/teds-film-room-core-concepts-from-lsu-that-oc-joe-brady-may-use-in-carolina/

To those judging Brady on this year, we haven't seen his real offense yet. He was managing Dorsey's playbook.

• Like (+1) 7
  • Agree 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

8 minutes ago, WhitewalkerInPhilly said:

He didn't know it was an Option

He really wasn't. Teams can easily scheme away explosives when you have exactly 1 downfield threat. You want to bust 2 high looks, have 2 dudes who can hurt you deep. When Davis was at his best, he had Emmanuel Sanders (who even in 2021 was a 4.3 40 type legit downfield dude) and a faster and more dangerous Stefon Diggs.  That helped unlock Davis in that playoff game in a huge way. 

I really wish the Bills could afford to re-sign Davis. Because I'd love to pair him with someone like Xavier Worthy who can take the top off. 

Ideally you could do something like this:

Deep Option 1: Davis

Deep Option 2: Worthy

Intermediate/Underneath: Diggs & Shakir

Intermediate/Underneath: Kincaid/Knox

And mix and match as you go. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Dislike 4

18 minutes ago, PromoTheRobot said:

To those judging Brady on this year, we haven't seen his real offense yet. He was managing Dorsey's playbook.

Much better then Ken Dorsey ever managed it I might add...

• Like (+1) 2

4 hours ago, PromoTheRobot said:

You might be right but let me make some observations before asking you something.  

There are two basic offensive systems in the NFL: Erhardt-Perkins and West Coast.  I've heard coaches and players say all NFL teams run, more-or-less, the same plays.  So there are two basic playbooks: E-P and West Coast.  And there's a lot of overlap between the two. 

Coordinators tweak and combine ideas as they feel appropriate to create their own syncretic scheme.  But no coordinator is filling a playbook with plays no one has seen before based on an offensive strategy no one has considered before.    

When Kurt Warner, for example, diagnoses Bills film, he knows & understands the play he's reviewing because he ran the same play (or one very similar) when he played.  He knows what it's designed to do and how it's supposed to be executed.  

So what is Brady's real offense?  What is he going to do schematically different next year that he couldn't do this year?  What plays will he use that weren't in this year's playbook?  

Edited by hondo in seattle
  • Like (+1) 2
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

18 minutes ago, hondo in seattle said:

You might be right but let me make some observations before asking you something.  

There are two basic offensive systems in the NFL: Erhardt-Perkins and West Coast.  I've heard coaches and players say NFL teams run, more-or-less, the same plays.  So there are two basic playbooks: E-P and West Coast.  And there's a lot of overlap between the two. 

Coordinators tweak and combine ideas as he feels appropriate to create his own syncretic scheme.  But no coordinator is filling a playbook with plays no one has seen before based on an offensive strategy no one has considered before.    

When Kurt Warner, for example, diagnoses Bills film, he knows & understands the play he's reviewing because he ran the same play (or one very similar) when he played.  He knows what it's designed to do and how it's supposed to be executed.  

So what is Brady's real offense?  What is he going to do schematically different next year that he couldn't do this year?  What plays will he use that weren't in this year's playbook?  

It’s not so much the plays themselves, it is when in a sequence of plays that a given play is called, and what formation it is run out of, in an attempt to get the defensive to hesitate in coverage, then it comes down to execution, and the talent to pull

it off, jmo. 

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

2 hours ago, appoo said:

Interesting (to me at least) enough, CEH is scheduled to be a FA, should command a "Damien Harris" type contract by my count and was running well late in the year. And we could use another back to pair with Cook. 🤔

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, PromoTheRobot said:

I agree, I wanted to get an idea on what "his" offense was. I like what I saw on that site, but we gotta see it implemented here this year.  Im kind of excited to see what happens.

33 minutes ago, BuffaloBillyG said:

Interesting (to me at least) enough, CEH is scheduled to be a FA, should command a "Damien Harris" type contract by my count and was running well late in the year. And we could use another back to pair with Cook. 🤔

I’d bring back Ty Johnson & Harris and then draft a RB in the 5th or so

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 2

All these concepts and just look at Kansas City.  They have solid trenches. They play tough D especially in the red zone, and Mahomes does what’s necessary to win that specific game.  Vs Baltimore he backed off and said his D was playing well and he just didn’t want to make a mistake and turn it over.

The Bills have a winning culture. They will Win, i don’t think any massive scheme changes are needed. Play better D in the playoffs and execute better in crunch time

• Like (+1) 3

2 hours ago, hondo in seattle said:

There are two basic offensive systems in the NFL: Erhardt-Perkins and West Coast.  I've heard coaches and players say NFL teams run, more-or-less, the same plays.  So there are two basic playbooks: E-P and West Coast.  And there's a lot of overlap between the two. 

Coordinators tweak and combine ideas as he feels appropriate to create his own syncretic scheme.  But no coordinator is filling a playbook with plays no one has seen before based on an offensive strategy no one has considered before.    

I noticed Brady's offense at LSU had a lot of Sean Paytons route combos on it. Payton runs a version of the Air coryell offense.

• Like (+1) 2