Gunner's 2024 Mock Draft - FINAL v3.0 NOW LIVE (p.13)

GunnerBill

1 minute ago, DCOrange said:

I doubt Legette will be my preferred choice (or even one that I'd be happy with in general), but I wouldn't be surprised if he's one of the guys we consider. Having said that, Dane Brugler reported earlier this morning that most teams have a 3rd round grade on Legette, and that could potentially fall further after he measured 2-3 inches shorter than expected. He does admittedly have the physical traits to potentially really impress people, but I think there's a lot of physical traits types in this class and I'd probably rather opt for one of the younger ones if we go that route.

A few thoughts on the QBs as that's really the only position I've really scouted thus far:

• I'm very early in my Penix review but I really liked what I've seen thus far. We'll see if that continues.
  • Along the same wavelengths as the Brugler report on Legette, he also discussed Penix vs. Bo Nix and basically said Penix is currently viewed as a late 2nd or 3rd round prospect. He also added that he wouldn't be surprised if Michael Pratt ultimately jumps over Penix. Nix is viewed as a borderline 1st and could potentially go as high as top 10 if he has a strong Senior Bowl week.
  • I ended up with a 4th round grade on Jayden Daniels (though I may watch some more film to try to understand what other people are seeing that I'm not), so needless to say, I'd be thrilled if the Patriots take him in the top 3.
  • I have JJ as my #3 QB at the moment but only a 2nd round grade on him. I know most of the draft media thinks he'll be a 1st rounder, potentially to Seattle.

I have seen Dane's reporting on Legette and he is definitely a credible guy. I suppose we will see. I don't know what the film knock on him is that is what I haven't really seen explained so far. 

I'm not a college fan but after some cursory reading/viewing on various prospects be very pleased with Legette. The dude is in the 220's and would be a beast to bring down and could offer elite speed. That means he can both separate and win in 50/50 battles. That's worth the 23 age factor. He should have about 8 prime years which coincides with Josh's prime years. 

I'd be really afraid of drafting a speed guy who is 180 pounds soaking wet.

Let's get a WR who is a beast and who can outrun and outmuscle anyone's CB or safety. 

• Like (+1) 2

3 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

I was told by a very well placed source when he was here - Joe is the scout. Brandon's the brains. Doug Whaley was a good scout too. He couldn't do the GM job. 

This is one problem with staffing the coaching ranks and FO's in the NFL.  Guys get in and want to bring in their buddies or "promote from within" (in order to maintain authoritative control).   

I can see them going WR saftey.  Im not sure about either guy.  I would rather have the guys that went later.  Worthy, Mitchell, Coleman even Polk before Leggett.  Possibly losing Hyde, Poyer and Rapp I think saftey is a big need.  An under sized guy from a bad defense seems like a stretch for him to be ready out of the gate.  

1 hour ago, Mr. WEO said:

This is one problem with staffing the coaching ranks and FO's in the NFL.  Guys get in and want to bring in their buddies or "promote from within" (in order to maintain authoritative control).   

Is that what happened here in our front office? 

10 minutes ago, JGMcD2 said:

Is that what happened here in our front office? 

McD gets Beane in.  Then, within 5 seasons, Daboll is gone, replaced by the QB coach, who then is out, replaced by the next QB coach.....

2 hours ago, GunnerBill said:

I was told by a very well placed source when he was here - Joe is the scout. Brandon's the brains. Doug Whaley was a good scout too. He couldn't do the GM job. 

People think I hate on Beane when I point out his (and McD's) costly early pro personnel mistakes and assorted draft errors............but I have always maintained that what Beane brought to the table as an executive was more important than what he lacked as a personnel evaluator.

You can always find scouts.

Finding a GM who could basically run the franchise for an ownership group that really is WAY out of their area(s) of expertise like the Pegula's.....and at the same time surround himself with good people and keep them happy while he learned how to make better personnel decisions was quite fortunate, IMO.

People complain about how we can't beat the Chiefs but the fact that we are in the mix with a football-family run organization like the Hunt's....given where this organization started......is an accomplishment in itself.    This could easily have turned into another Dan Snyder Washington Comanches situation with the Pegula's if they didn't find someone who could convince them to hand over the keys.

Edited by BADOLBILZ
  • Like (+1) 6
  • Agree 4
  • Awesome! (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 4

1 minute ago, Einstein said:

Legette would be quite the reach at 28... no?

Or are you thinking the draft prognosticators are wrong right now?

I don't think he is a reach. He is my WR4. He seems to be going early 2nd in mocks I have seen but I know some have him going later and a few who have him earlier. Personally I think he will have a good week this week at the senior bowl, he will blow up the combine and he will be a first round pick.

The questions on him are mainly - 1 year of production and why did it all click suddenly age 22 (old in college terms)? But the 2023 tape is excellent. If he backs that up in the process I think he goes day 1.

• Like (+1) 2

I like your mock for the Bills, though Bullock is a bit light.  Hopefully, he can add some quality weight and not lose speed.  You have Brian Thomas going a lot sooner than any mock draft I've seen.  Do you think he's going to time faster than the 4.47 I've seen estimated for him?

Just now, BADOLBILZ said:

People think I hate on Beane when I point out his (and McD's) costly early pro personnel mistakes and assorted draft errors............but I have always maintained that what Beane brought to the table as an executive was more important than what he lacked as a personnel evaluator.

You can always find scouts.

Finding a GM who could basically run the franchise for an ownership group that really is WAY out of their area(s) of expertise like the Pegula's.....and at the same time surround himself with good people and keep them happy while he learned how to make better personnel decisions was a quite fortunate, IMO.

People complain about how we can't beat the Chiefs but the fact that we are in the mix with a football-family run organization like the Hunt's....given where this organization started......is an accomplishment in itself.    This could easily have turned into another Dan Snyder Washington Comanches situation with the Pegula's if they didn't find someone who could convince them to hand over the keys. 

Yea absolutely. You don't have to be an exceptional scout to be a good general manager. The job is more than that. 

4 minutes ago, BigAl2526 said:

I like your mock for the Bills, though Bullock is a bit light.  Hopefully, he can add some quality weight and not lose speed.  You have Brian Thomas going a lot sooner than any mock draft I've seen.  Do you think he's going to time faster than the 4.47 I've seen estimated for him?

Yea I am not in love with the Bullock pick. But not sure where else I'd go given that board. 

And yes on Thomas. I do think he will run faster than 4.47. 

2 hours ago, Nephilim17 said:

I'm not a college fan but after some cursory reading/viewing on various prospects be very pleased with Legette. The dude is in the 220's and would be a beast to bring down and could offer elite speed. That means he can both separate and win in 50/50 battles. That's worth the 23 age factor. He should have about 8 prime years which coincides with Josh's prime years. 

I'd be really afraid of drafting a speed guy who is 180 pounds soaking wet.

Let's get a WR who is a beast and who can outrun and outmuscle anyone's CB or safety. 

Isn't that the knock on him though? That despite his size/speed he doesn't separate in college and is more of a RAC beast?

3 hours ago, GunnerBill said:

L’Jarius Sneed is scheduled to hit free agency and after proving himself a high level outside corner, rather than just an excellent slot

I knew you'd come around eventually.

• Vomit 1

8 minutes ago, MiracleAtRich1393 said:

Isn't that the knock on him though? That despite his size/speed he doesn't separate in college and is more of a RAC beast?

I'm no college guy, but, yes, some reports cite a lack of separation while others say he can do it.

I suspect his rawness in route running is the issue there and he can be coached. He has elite long speed and is a RAC monster so I'll take that and hope the separation on shorter routes can come with time.

10 minutes ago, MiracleAtRich1393 said:

I think he separates plenty. I haven't heard that as the knock on him. If it is that is surprising to me. I don't see that on film.

3 hours ago, GunnerBill said:

24. Dallas Cowboys – Troy Franklin – Wide Receiver, Oregon

The Cowboys offense is very CeeDee Lamb centric. Brandin Cooks is past his best, Michael Gallup is inconsistent and Jalen Tolbert hasn’t quite broken through despite flashes. They need another legit target outside and Franklin has the vertical speed to open things up and allow for Lamb to work the middle of the field.

F***. I been thinking this revenge pick from last draft, was going to happen, and hate to see it even in early writing. This feels around where hes going. Think he even pushes up boards as we get closer, hope we have a plan in place to leap frog.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Disagree 1
  • Agree 2