Det @ SF Game Thread (Please keep the Bills stuff out of this thread)

Simon

3 minutes ago, Maine-iac said:

Hopefully a little more toward Belfast than Waterville but I can't talk I live in L/A and not the fancy one in California.  Coastal Maine is wicked good.  Spent most of my childhood in upstate NY.  Still have a lot of family there.

I live in Cincinnati. I ate Goetta for breakfast next to a dude with a full-on mullet at the Frisch's Big Boy Breakfast buffet. I really can't judge.

• Haha (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, sleeby said:

Travis kelce is 34 and had a mostly poor regular season.  Anyone have an opinion on if the odds of his retiring this winter any better if he gets a third SB ring?  Quit while ahead like?

What about Jones moving elsewhere? He would be a bigger loss for them 

5 minutes ago, sleeby said:

Travis kelce is 34 and had a mostly poor regular season.  Anyone have an opinion on if the odds of his retiring this winter any better if he gets a third SB ring?  Quit while ahead like?

Hard to say, the Chiefs have all the making of a dynasty and he might want to stick around to see if there are a few more shots at a few more rings. 

But if he marries Taylor, then all bets are off. 

48 minutes ago, bobobonators said:

Especially considering the Ravens did everything possible to lose that game. 2 turnovers in the end zone lol. What a joke.

The Chiefs play the dolphins with all their defense injured. Then play the Bills with their entire defense injured. And then play the Ravens who play their worst game of the season turning the ball over in their end zone 2x. When these “dynasty” teams like the Pars and now Chiefs start rolling it seems every toss up tends to go their way more often than not. 

You make your own luck. We blew another opportunity to be on the right side of the equation this year. Our chances to eventually flip it decrease every time we fall short 😔

• Agree 1

2 minutes ago, billsfanmiamioh said:

You make your own luck. We blew another opportunity to be on the right side of the equation this year. Our chances to eventually flip it decrease every time we fall short 😔

I don't think the 49ers made their luck tonight. 

• Thank you (+1) 1

1 minute ago, Low Positive said:

I don't think the 49ers made their luck tonight. 

Look at the second half stats. Niners never folded and Lions were making Super Bowl travel plans at halftime. If the Bills had pulled that type of collapse the national guard would be deployed in Buffalo right now.  

• Like (+1) 2

1 minute ago, billsfanmiamioh said:

Look at the second half stats. Niners never folded and Lions were making Super Bowl travel plans at halftime. If the Bills had pulled that type of collapse the national guard would be deployed in Buffalo right now.  

You are looking for real absolute reasons for things. I'm saying that if that ball falls to the turf instead of directly into Aiyuk's hands the Lions win that game. Pure luck. Purdy drastically underthrew a ball that turned into the game-changing play. That was the momentum swing. Pure luck.

1 hour ago, Heels20X6 said:

Hard to say, the Chiefs have all the making of a dynasty and he might want to stick around to see if there are a few more shots at a few more rings. 

But if he marries Taylor, then all bets are off. 

Do you really think Taylor Swift wants to be married to an ex-football player? 

9 hours ago, Low Positive said:

You are looking for real absolute reasons for things. I'm saying that if that ball falls to the turf instead of directly into Aiyuk's hands the Lions win that game. Pure luck. Purdy drastically underthrew a ball that turned into the game-changing play. That was the momentum swing. Pure luck.

This. You don’t make your own luck. When is the last time you remember a ball bouncing like that for us in a big game. I’ll save you some time, it doesn’t happen for us. How about a RB simply fumbling the ball for no reason? Again not happening for us. The chiefs and especially the 49ers are on the blessed franchise list where ***** like that happens for them. The bills, lions, browns and Vikings are on the cursed list. The sooner you accept that, the easier life is. 

3 hours ago, Nitro said:

IMO Campbell should have tried the FGs instead of going for it on 4th down.   In games like this, playoffs, you get points.  

Totally agree.  At 24-10 they did NOT NEED a first down.  A FG makes it 27-10 and changes the flow and momentum.   

• Thank you (+1) 1

9 minutes ago, BeavercreekBillsFan said:

This. You don’t make your own luck. When is the last time you remember a ball bouncing like that for us in a big game. I’ll save you some time, it doesn’t happen for us. How about a RB simply fumbling the ball for no reason? Again not happening for us. The chiefs and especially the 49ers are on the blessed franchise list where ***** like that happens for them. The bills, lions, browns and Vikings are on the cursed list. The sooner you accept that, the easier life is. 

Ahhhh…Sherfield’s catch in the back of the end zone when the ball deflected wildly off defender. Just to name one. 

10 hours ago, Simon said:

45+yrds FG on bad grass can be dicey propositions and we didn't see what the Lions crappy K was doing pregame, so I don't think either of those calls was necessarily "wrong"

Well, situationally it seemed pretty wrong to me. Here’s why: first, going up by 3 scores is huge in a game, and if you’re presented with the opportunity to do it, you don’t gamble it away. The Lions’ kicker is decent enough, and you have to assume he’ll likely make that kick in not-terrible weather. Second, you have to consider the opponent: an elite defense that ranked first last year and third this year. In other words, they weren’t playing the Commanders. Success on a fourth down try is less likely against a great defense than an average one, which goes without saying. It seems obvious to me that the you have to kick in those situations. Maybe he misses, but it’s the sounder strategy in terms of probability.

I also thought the Chiefs were unwise to go for it against Baltimore on 4th and 1 from the 13 because failure meant giving up a chance to go ahead by two scores. The ravens D was #1 overall.

Edited by dave mcbride

10 hours ago, Low Positive said:

I said this earlier in the year and got a lot of red Xs, but I hate Brock Purdy more than any other player in the NFL. He's a smug SOB. And just like Brady, you are not supposed to get that production from taking a flyer on a late-round pick. Only some teams get that luck. Chiefs with Pacheco, 49ers with Purdy and Pats with Brady. We have to spend draft capital to get a QB.

Twice this morning I’ve had to quote you because I completely agree with what you’re saying. There’s the cursed franchises (us, browns, Vikings and lions) and then there’s the blessed ones. The Niners burned 3 first rounders on trey lance and it didn’t matter. Bad decisions like that are supposed to set a franchise back a decade, imagine if we did that. As far as Purdy goes, he’s inherited the luck from Brady. Not just the luck where you can throw a ***** pass off a dudes helmet and not get picked, but the even better luck where the other team forgets how to play football and starts dropping passes, fumbling for no reason, and makes so many mental mistakes that you can’t help but win. Brady did that for 2 decades and got extra rings out of it ( falcons idiotic play calling up 28-3, Seahawks not giving lynch the ball, etc). Purdy will get his ring this year and should’ve lost this week and last. Yet we have a unicorn at qb and can’t even get to the SB. Don’t tell me luck doesn’t play a factor. 

46 minutes ago, SoCal Deek said:

Ahhhh…Sherfield’s catch in the back of the end zone when the ball deflected wildly off defender. Just to name one. 

Ok that’s actually a good example, glad we’ve had 1 good luck moment. 

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.