The last 5 years of Bills football

C.Biscuit97

Teams like the Chiefs just seem to have another gear when it comes to the play offs & the hook up between Mahomes & Kelsey just historically great team mates .

Kelsey is a beast he did yesterday to the Ravens D that looked almost unbeatable the week before & made them look like the second best team in that game those guys just know how to turn it up and their defense has some studs on it that the Bills don't have . Especially this year due to injury .

Von was suppose to be the Chris Jones for the Bills & even though Ed was paid & had a good season they man handled him & our D !

Which i for one will give a pass with all of the injuries, it's hard for your D to be good with your 4th & 5th LBer & your 3rd & 4th CB's on your depth chart playing for your pro bowl players that have been lost to injury .

On 1/27/2024 at 12:43 PM, Albany,n.y. said:

Two reasons:

1) Too many injuries

2) Andy Reid & Patrick Mahomes

That’s three reasons…

Chiefs are just so clutch…it takes more than just a qb playing well you need defensive players to step up and role players coming up with huge plays.  

I really wasn’t impressed with Andy Reid this playoff run honestly lol I think he got carried a bit.  Don’t think he really added a ton of value.  Doesn’t mean that’s true for the past though.  They ran into two defenses absolutely ravaged by injuries and the ravens locked them up from midway through the second quarter on but the ravens offense bungled the game 

Edited by Generic_Bills_Fan

Teams in Super Bowl last 5 years. Yes, we should be on this list.

KC - Nothing needed to be said. Drafted Mahomes in 2017 and going to 4th Super Bowl since.

SF - Going to second Super Bowl in 5 years (could be 4, lost two conf champs). Done it with multiple QB's. Did not have a winning season from 2014-2018. 

PHI - Went to Super Bowl with new coach after firing the coach that won a super bowl a few years before. Playing with 2nd year QB.

LAR - Went to Super Bowl after changing QB's and just a few years removed from another super bowl appearance. 

CIN - Went to Super Bowl after 5 straight losing seasons.

TB - Signed Tom Brady and went to Super Bowl. After 10+ years of no playoffs. 

One thing in common with most of these teams is change not continuity as one would expect. KC has been the most stable but has been consistent since drafting Mahomes despite some coaching staff changes and loss of key players. SF has changed QB's made significant trades, changed OC's and DC's. PHI made a head coaching change and significant player moves. LAR, CIN and TB all made significant players moves. You look at the Bills and its been a much more steady 5 years. Allen, Diggs, Hyde, Poyer, etc. The splashiest move was Miller and the in jury cut that short. Coaching changes have not been impactful - let frazier go and mcd runs show, daboll for dorsey. 

1 minute ago, Albany,n.y. said:

Mahomes & Reid are bundled.  

Its still three, 🤣

I am getting tired of hearing the fire McDermott people.  I don't think they have a grasp of reality.  It is tough to win in the NFL.

Even the great BB in his first 5 seasons as a head coach in Cleveland made the playoffs only once and went 1-1, the following year he missed the playoffs and Cleveland ran him out of town, how do you think Cleveland feels about that now.

Tom Landry, certainly a great coach, didn't even have a winning record for his first 6 seasons.  In his first 4 seasons making the playoffs he was 1-4.  Didn't win his 1st SB until his 12th year coaching, then won a second in year 18 so it took him another 6 years to get back to the SB.

Then there is the great and powerful Andy Read.  In his first 14 seasons as a head coach with Philadelphia he made the playoffs 9 times and his record was 10-9, going to the SB just once and losing.   Philadelphia ran him out of town and he went to KC.  Even in KC he made the Playoffs 5 of his first 6 years and his record was 2-5.  So in his first 14 playoff seasons his record was 12-14 which is basically the same win percentage as McDermott.  It was not until his 21st season as a head coach that he won a SB.  Philadelphia gave up on him, they probably regretted it for a while, KC stayed with him even though his playoff record was 2-5 in 6 seasons and now Andy Read is basically considered God of all the coaches.

It obviously took Read many seasons to learn and get it right.  I'll stick with McDermott because I think he will get it right sooner or later. 

Oh, and one more.  The great John Madden, second best win percentage ever.  In his first 7 seasons he made the playoffs 6 times and his record  was 5-6, sound familiar.

Edited by SinatraSinger

I think it's simple:

The Bills have the second best quarterback on planet earth.

The BEST quarterback on planet earth, unfortunately, also plays in the AFC.

This is why the Bills have not yet won a Super Bowl.

• Disagree 1
  • Agree 1

27 minutes ago, Logic said:

I think it's simple:

No.

9 GWS > 6 GWS

38 minutes ago, SinatraSinger said:

I am getting tired of hearing the fire McDermott people.  I don't think they have a grasp of reality.  It is tough to win in the NFL.

Even the great BB in his first 5 seasons as a head coach in Cleveland made the playoffs only once and went 1-1, the following year he missed the playoffs and Cleveland ran him out of town, how do you think Cleveland feels about that now.

Tom Landry, certainly a great coach, didn't even have a winning record for his first 6 seasons.  In his first 4 seasons making the playoffs he was 1-4.  Didn't win his 1st SB until his 12th year coaching, then won a second in year 18 so it took him another 6 years to get back to the SB.

Then there is the great and powerful Andy Read.  In his first 14 seasons as a head coach with Philadelphia he made the playoffs 9 times and his record was 10-9, going to the SB just once and losing.   Philadelphia ran him out of town and he went to KC.  Even in KC he made the Playoffs 5 of his first 6 years and his record was 2-5.  So in his first 14 playoff seasons his record was 12-14 which is basically the same win percentage as McDermott.  It was not until his 21st season as a head coach that he won a SB.  Philadelphia gave up on him, they probably regretted it for a while, KC stayed with him even though his playoff record was 2-5 in 6 seasons and now Andy Read is basically considered God of all the coaches.

It obviously took Read many seasons to learn and get it right.  I'll stick with McDermott because I think he will get it right sooner or later. 

Oh, and one more.  The great John Madden, second best win percentage ever.  In his first 7 seasons he made the playoffs 6 times and his record  was 5-6, sound familiar.

The question isn't if Sean McDermott will EVER win a Super Bowl, it's if he can win one here in Buffalo with Josh Allen. The time is ticking with Allen, we can't wait another 10 years from him to “figure it out”

11 minutes ago, BringBackFlutie said:

No.

9 GWS > 6 GWS

6 GWS has rings and trophies. 9 has none. 

How do you account for this?

I am presuming you will say that it's more due to the acumen of their respective shark handlers?

We are the Manning/Dungy Colts revisited. Great QB and loser HC battling against the greatest QB and HC of the era. 

We will be lucky to get a single SuperBowl and it will only happen like Manning did it. During the SuperBowl run while down at home he waived off the punt team and overruled his HC to keep the drive alive and start a comeback.

Josh will need to do the same one day

3 hours ago, Logic said:

I think it's simple:

If you're going to remove coaching from the equation, it is really the rest of the rosters where the Chiefs have us cleanly beat. Even if you want to say Mahomes is better than Allen, the difference between them isn't that great. To me it's much more a matter of who has more stars.

In past playoff matchups they had Mahomes/Kelce/Hill/Jones to our Allen/Diggs/Milano. Advantage KC.

This year they had Mahomes/Kelce/Jones/Sneed/Thuney/Humphrey to our Allen. Massive advantage KC.

Game changing players win playoff games. We only had one in our latest matchup. Hopefully Kincaid becomes one next year, maybe Shakir although I have my doubts that he can ever be more than a really dependable role player. Hopefully Diggs' drop off was in fact injury related and not a sign of what the rest of his career will look like. Hopefully the WR we draft in R1 hits the ground running and looks like a star by the end of his rookie season. So much has to go right for us to make up the sizeable talent gap between us and the Chiefs, especially if the coaching gap is also as wide as I believe it is.

• Like (+1) 1

3 hours ago, SinatraSinger said:

None of what you listed had Josh Allen as their QB, making this long post pointless

• Like (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.