Bills Mafia Book Club!

TheyCallMeAndy

What’s everyone reading? 

I’m a little half way through ‘The Hobbit,’ I read the first LoTRs in Highschool, but that’s when reading was a chore and I didn’t enjoy it. 

I’ve always been an off and on reader, I worshiped those Harry Potter books growing up, but I would fail to find anything to really grasp my interest as well. Since 2016 I was slowly working through the ‘Dark Tower’ series, but would take weeks-to-months longs breaks before finishing. 

I really recommitted to it half way through 2022 when on vacation in Salem and found a really cool looking book at one of their famous book shops, called “The Blade Itself.” I was HOOKED, wound up finishing 10 books in 2022, 13 in 2023, and started 2024 off strong. 

Definitely one of the best decisions I’ve made was to get back into reading. 

I can’t be the only one, right? 

I go out to lunch and read almost every day. It’s often the best hour of my day. I look forward to it and hate to say it actually upsets me when friends want to get together for lunch. I join them so I don’t become a complete hermit. 

I generally read the same kind of stuff including Grisham, Baldacci, Michael Connolly, etc. The last book outside of that genre was The Art of Racing In The Rain, which is told from the perspective of the dog. I’m a dog lover and enjoyed that one. 

When I got into real estate I learned to always have a book in my car. You never know when you’ll have a little time to kill waiting for appointments. I’d never even bring it in the house until I was finished. The book was for my spare moments and something to entertain me during lunch. 

Edited by Augie
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

27 minutes ago, Augie said:

I go out to lunch and read almost every day. It’s often the best hour of my day. I look forward to it and hate to say it actually upsets me when friends want to get together for lunch. I join them so I don’t become a complete hermit. 

I generally read the same kind of stuff including Grisham, Baldacci, Michael Connolly, etc. The last book outside of that genre was The Art of Racing In The Rain, which is told from the perspective of the dog. I’m a dog lover and enjoyed that one. 

When I got into real estate I learned to always have a book in my car. You never know when you’ll have a little time to kill waiting for appointments. I’d never even bring it in the house until I was finished. The book was for my spares moments and something to entertain me during lunch. 

Reading on my lunch break is the best part of my day as well, I totally get that! 

I’ve been working at replacing “mindlessly scroll FB reel time” with “read time.”

I’ve also found reading before bed helps settle my mind. Except “IT,” that just brings effed up dreams…

Total book nerd here.

Just finished Rick Atkinson's The Guns at Last Light, the third in a three book series that starts in N Africa, continues through Italy and finishes in Western Europe.

An outstanding and even-handed work if anybody is interested in the subject.

Now starting a re-read of Neal Stephenson's Termination Shock. While not necessarily his very best work, it's still rock solid. For my money he is the best fiction writer on the planet so even his "not my best" is far superior to almost everyone else.

2 hours ago, Simon said:

Total book nerd here.

Just finished Rick Atkinson's The Guns at Last Light, the third in a three book series that starts in N Africa, continues through Italy and finishes in Western Europe.

An outstanding and even-handed work if anybody is interested in the subject.

Now starting a re-read of Neal Stephenson's Termination Shock. While not necessarily his very best work, it's still rock solid. For my money he is the best fiction writer on the planet so even his "not my best" is far superior to almost everyone else.

Love it, it’s also very interesting to see what other people are into, best way to expand the horizons! 

Bonus points for Goodreads, I love that App. 

Just Finished  "My Effin' Life"  Geddy Lee's autobiography.    Great book!   The chapter about his parents/family in concentration camps is heartbreaking, and you can't put it down.  

I have this on deck:   "The Nazi Conspiracy: The Secret Plot to Kill Roosevelt, Stalin, and Churchill"  By Brad Meltzer  (link below) 

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/1250777267/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o06_s01?ie=UTF8&psc=1

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 1

15 minutes ago, Toomstone.Part.Duex said:

Just Finished  "My Effin' Life"  Geddy Lee's autobiography.    Great book!   The chapter about his parents/family in concentration camps is heartbreaking, and you can't put it down.  

I have this on deck:   "The Nazi Conspiracy: The Secret Plot to Kill Roosevelt, Stalin, and Churchill"  By Brad Meltzer  (link below) 

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/1250777267/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o06_s01?ie=UTF8&psc=1

2nd the kudos on Geddy's memoir. I listen to audiobooks, and to have Geddy read his story was amazing.

I'm currently listening to Atomic Habits by James Clear. He puts things so simple. I just also finished Unfuc* Yourself by Gary John Bishop. That was also a great listen.

This is where everybody makes me look like crap because I read cheesy commercial books that do absolutely nothing to make me a better, more informed person. I know this spot,  I’ve been here before!   😂 

But I enjoy them as an escape type thing. My wife reads almost exclusively self-improvement and leadership type stuff or spiritual stuff. I guess in this case opposites did attract. 

EDIT: I’m curious if you’ve (intentionally) read a book more than once? I know I read Catch-22 and The Winter of Our Discontent at least a couple times on purpose. Sometimes I’ll get 10-20 pages in and think it’s sounding too familiar, because it is.

Edited by Augie
  • Like (+1) 1

9 minutes ago, Augie said:

This is where everybody makes me look like crap because I read cheesy commercial books that do absolutely nothing to make me a better, more informed person. I know this spot,  I’ve been here before!   😂 

But I enjoy them as an escape type thing. My wife reads almost exclusively self-improvement and leadership type stuff or spiritual stuff. I guess in this case opposites did attract. 

EDIT: I’m curious if you’ve (intentionally) read a book more than once? I know I read Catch-22 and The Winter of Our Discontent at least a couple times on purpose. Sometimes I’ll get 10-20 pages in and think it’s sounding too familiar, because it is.

Dude I’m reading The Hobbit, and have read 3 of the Witcher books. Best two books I read last year were basically about a Viking clan with superpowers fighting a giant Wolf-God. I’m 35. 

As long as you enjoy it, it’s good reading!! 

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 1

There are definitely books I’d totally read again, you miss things. First Law Trilogy is phenomenal, I’ll probably re-read Fellowship of the King. There are just sooooo many I’ve never checked out, it’s hard to go back and re-read something. 

Shadow of the Gods and Hunger of the Gods are absolutely phenomenal. 

I have shelves of books of all kinds. Mostly Christian based and cookbooks. 

But my favorite book series which has been around forever is the "Earth Childrens" series by Jean Auel.

They are personal historical prehistoric fiction with heroines, villianous weather, survival at it's base level and in the freezing cold some very hot sex and wild berry picking for sweets

LOL

They are voluminous books but page turning. A series of I think 4.

EDIT: I googled there were 6  total  books in the "earth Children" series

I need to find one for my next jury duty summons. NEVER go to jury duty without a book it is torturous

Edited by muppy

17 minutes ago, muppy said:

I have shelves of books of all kinds. Mostly Christian based and cookbooks. 

But my favorite book series which has been around forever is the "Earth Childrens" series by Jean Auel.

They are personal historical prehistoric fiction with heroines, villianous weather, survival at it's base level and in the freezing cold some very hot sex and wild berry picking for sweets

LOL

They are voluminous books but page turning. A series of I think 4.

EDIT: I googled there were 6  total  books in the "earth Children" series

I need to find one for my next jury duty summons. NEVER go to jury duty without a book it is torturous

Now THAT is quite the range 😂🤣

• Like (+1) 1

I read a variety of stuff, from non-fiction to fiction of many genres. In non-fiction. I read science, "casual" Eastern philosophy, and occasional biographies.

In fiction, I like hard sci-fi - the kind that obeys the laws of physics and doesn't rely on magic like transporters, warp speeds, and universal translators. Don't get me wrong - I'm a Trekkie and a Star Wars fan, but for reading material, I lean toward the hard stuff. Asimov and Vonnegut are my favorites, but I've been reading some great sci-fi from lesser-known authors too. I read Asimov's autobiography, I.Asimov, a few months ago. I'm not sure how that's escaped me for all these years, but I'm glad I found it.

I don't read a lot of drama, but I recently read Exodus by Leon Uris. It's a novel about holocaust refugees. The plot and characters are made up, but the historical perspective is pretty accurate.

I also like mysteries, psychological thrillers, and books with zany humor, like The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy. Augie, you asked if people re-read books. I read the original trilogy in college. Then another book came out, so I reread the trilogy before reading the fourth book. Then a fifth book ... and you can see the pattern. When Douglas Adams died in 2001, I re-read the entire series. That's the only one I've read more than twice, but I can think of a handful of books that I've read a second time.

• Awesome! (+1) 1

I'm not a big reader but I bought this book recently that I thought was kind of cool.

https://www.amazon.com/Amboys-Historic-Neighborhoods-Images-America/dp/1540252019

My grandparents were from that town, dad was born there and went too school there, I went too church there, I still establish bakeries and restaurants there so the bottom line is I feel I have connections to it.

So it's cool to read old photos of places and events and what not.

Had no idea Arthur Ashe won a tennis tournament there in the 1960's or they even had such a thing.  

Edited by Another Fan

I read a ton. Some non-fiction. But a lot of foreign-author fiction, and the stuff that usually gets short listed for the major fiction awards (eg, booker award).

I remember years ago there was a similar book thread on here and someone recommended a book. I read it, and it was horrendous. So I don’t trust any of you. 😁

• Haha (+1) 4

5 hours ago, Augie said:

I’m curious if you’ve (intentionally) read a book more than once?

I can't even count the number of books I re-read occasionally.

My favorite piece of historical fiction is a trilogy over 2000 pages long and I've probably read it at least 4-5 times. And if you think I'm nuts, he wrote the entire 17,000 page manuscript by hand. It's in the Sci-Fi HOF along with the ink pots and cartridges he used. Talk about putting some love in your cooking. 🤯

1 hour ago, WhoTom said:

In fiction, I like hard sci-fi - the kind that obeys the laws of physics and doesn't rely on magic like transporters, warp speeds, and universal translators......I also like mysteries, psychological thrillers, and books with zany humor.

Fellow sci-fi geek here:

Here is a few things you might really like:

Children of Time - Adrian Tchaikovsky

Live Free or Die - John Ringo

Broken Angels / Woken Furies - Richard K Morgan

Cryptonomicon - Neal Stephenson ( part of the infamous Cap'n Crunch chapter :lol: )

Also, if you're a big fan of Kurt, his son Mark Vonnegut wrote a fascinating book called The Eden Express about his experience with manic depression and schizophrenia. 

• Thank you (+1) 1

4 hours ago, Augie said:

This is where everybody makes me look like crap because I read cheesy commercial books that do absolutely nothing to make me a better, more informed person.

If you like it, it's good. 

And that's all there is to it.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Miyagi-Do Karate said:

I read a ton. Some non-fiction. But a lot of foreign-author fiction, and the stuff that usually gets short listed for the major fiction awards (eg, booker award).

I remember years ago there was a similar book thread on here and someone recommended a book. I read it, and it was horrendous. So I don’t trust any of you. 😁

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Waxing-On-The-Karate-Kid-and-Me-Hardcover-9780593185834/403711447?wmlspartner=wlpa&selectedSellerId=101174032&gclsrc=aw.ds&&adid=22222222227403711447_101174032_154854157839_20776801864&wl0=&wl1=g&wl2=c&wl3=680763750869&wl4=pla-2252175854337&wl5=9004005&wl6=&wl7=&wl8=&wl9=pla&wl10=736879059&wl11=online&wl12=403711447_101174032&veh=sem&gad_source=1&gclid=EAIaIQobChMIqN7P0oX6gwMVpUhHAR2ynAl3EAQYAyABEgLWM_D_BwE

• Haha (+1) 1

11 hours ago, Simon said:

Fellow sci-fi geek here:

Here is a few things you might really like:

Children of Time - Adrian Tchaikovsky

Live Free or Die - John Ringo

Broken Angels / Woken Furies - Richard K Morgan

Cryptonomicon - Neal Stephenson ( part of the infamous Cap'n Crunch chapter :lol: )

Also, if you're a big fan of Kurt, his son Mark Vonnegut wrote a fascinating book called The Eden Express about his experience with manic depression and schizophrenia. 

Thanks! The Eden Express and Live Free or Die are now on my reading list. The review mentioned Project Hail Mary by Andy Weir (the guy who wrote The Martian, the novel on which the Matt Damon movie was based). I didn't read The Martian but I loved the movie, so when a friend mentioned PHM and I saw that it was the same author, I decided to read it. What a fantastic book! His novel Randomize was good too. I also enjoyed the Colony Mars series and The Belt series by Gerald Kilby, and I'm currently about halfway through fast-paced Earthburst Saga by Craig Falconer.

• Like (+1) 1

12 hours ago, Miyagi-Do Karate said:

10 hours ago, Miyagi-Do Karate said:

believe it or not, I read this, and it wasn’t that good! 

Sounds like we're the ones who shouldn't trust your recommendations. 😉

• Haha (+1) 1

I'm not a voracious reader. If forced to name a favorite author, I'd go with Tom Wolfe: Bonfire of the Vanities, The Right Stuff, and others.

I also tend to like anything by P. J. O'Rourke: National Lampoon, and a bunch of other magazines and books.

• Like (+1) 1

I'm a pretty big reader, tend to jump around across genres and physical vs Kindle books.

Last physical books finished were Geddy Lee's "My Effin Life" (highest possible recommendation!) and Stephen King's "Fairy Tale" (also very good).

On the Kindle, currently reading "An Absolutely Remarkable Thing" by Hank Green. Just started it, but feels like I'll enjoy it. Recently finished "American Prometheus: The Triumph and Tragedy of J. Robert Oppenheimer" by Kai Bird and Martin Sherwin, "Hail Mary Project" by Andy Weir, and "The Troop" by Nick Cutter.

Like I said...jump around across genres.

Edited by DD4Bills

44 minutes ago, DD4Bills said:

I'm a pretty big reader, tend to jump around across genres and physical vs Kindle books.

Last physical books finished were Geddy Lee's "Me Effin Life" (highest possible recommendation!) and Stephen King's "Fairy Tale" (also very good).

On the Kindle, currently reading "An Absolutely Remarkable Thing" by Hank Green. Just started it, but feels like I'll enjoy it. Recently finished "American Prometheus: The Triumph and Tragedy of J. Robert Oppenheimer" by Kai Bird and Martin Sherwin, "Hail Mary Project" by Andy Weir, and "The Troop" by Nick Cutter.

Does the Kindle make it easier to read with your eyes??? 

• Haha (+1) 1

The book I am currently reading with great interest, The Matter with Things, is very long and erudite, but written in a manner that is engaging. It is a sequel of sorts to an earlier work, The Master and His Emissary, but vaster in scope. The main idea is that the left and right hemispheres of the brain process data and interpret reality very differently. The author, Iain McGilchrist, suggests many of our problems derive from the reductionist tendencies of the left-brain.

The work of fiction I am reading just now is The Strudlhof Steps by Heimito von Doderer. It is a brilliant work filled with humor and wry observations. He's a genius for discovering unusual metaphors.

For Muppy, you might find Christian Wiman's My Bright Abyss of interest. I dunno, but that's the theological work I dip into when I am not reading one of the above.

• Like (+1) 1

5 hours ago, DD4Bills said:

Last physical books finished were Geddy Lee's "My Effin Life" (highest possible recommendation!) and Stephen King's "Fairy Tale" (also very good).

I’ve been looking at Fairytale for a while, seems like the feedback is all positive. 

8 hours ago, TheyCallMeAndy said:

I’ve been looking at Fairytale for a while, seems like the feedback is all positive. 

I enjoyed it very much. My only complaint (and it’s nitpicking for sure) is that King doesn’t quite have a great grasp of current teenagers and it sometimes felt like main character could have been a kid from the ‘50s or ‘60s with the way he talked and acted. 

• Like (+1) 1

23 hours ago, WhoTom said:

Thanks! The Eden Express and Live Free or Die are now on my reading list. The review mentioned Project Hail Mary by Andy Weir (the guy who wrote The Martian, the novel on which the Matt Damon movie was based). I didn't read The Martian but I loved the movie, so when a friend mentioned PHM and I saw that it was the same author, I decided to read it. What a fantastic book! His novel Randomize was good too. I also enjoyed the Colony Mars series and The Belt series by Gerald Kilby, and I'm currently about halfway through fast-paced Earthburst Saga by Craig Falconer.

If you still haven't read The Martian, you really should. I agree they did a fine job with the film but the book really is.......out of this world (sorry, couldn't resist).

Also, when I suggested Richard K Morgan, I maybe should have suggested Altered Carbon instead. It might be more to your liking as it is more of a SF noir mystery than the other two I suggested, which lean more toward the military/scifi genre. Just a genuinely great writer no matter which you prefer.

• Thank you (+1) 1

20 hours ago, Dr. Who said:

The book I am currently reading with great interest, The Matter with Things, is very long and erudite, but written in a manner that is engaging. It is a sequel of sorts to an earlier work, The Master and His Emissary, but vaster in scope. The main idea is that the left and right hemispheres of the brain process data and interpret reality very differently. The author, Iain McGilchrist, suggests many of our problems derive from the reductionist tendencies of the left-brain.

The work of fiction I am reading just now is The Strudlhof Steps by Heimito von Doderer. It is a brilliant work filled with humor and wry observations. He's a genius for discovering unusual metaphors.

For Muppy, you might find Christian Wiman's My Bright Abyss of interest. I dunno, but that's the theological work I dip into when I am not reading one of the above.

Umm, I don’t think I saw those on the book table at Costco. That’s where most of my books come from. And they come with free snacks on every other aisle!  

• Haha (+1) 1

9 hours ago, Simon said:

If you still haven't read The Martian, you really should. I agree they did a fine job with the film but the book really is.......out of this world (sorry, couldn't resist).

Also, when I suggested Richard K Morgan, I maybe should have suggested Altered Carbon instead. It might be more to your liking as it is more of a SF noir mystery than the other two I suggested, which lean more toward the military/scifi genre. Just a genuinely great writer no matter which you prefer.

I’ve been planning on reading the Martian for a while, glad to hear it’s a good one! 

When it is released on Audible, I will download Neil Peart's last book, Silver Surfers. He had a passion for '60s classic muscle cars. He had a collection of silver 60s cars, with one black 63 Mustang mixed in. He would drive them up and down the California coast. This book is about the passion he had for these cars.

• Like (+1) 1