Mayock knew of fake punt plans

1 minute ago, Nuncha said:

Only harm that was done as a result was KC took some time off the clock.  We took the ball back on that drive anyway.  This isn't why the game was lost.

Agreed. It was a verrrry questionable call in that situation, and I'll echo others in saying it makes more sense to just leave the offense on the field if you're not gonna punt.

That said...it ultimately didn't cost the Bills any points, and they got the ball back with the chance for a game-winning or game-tying drive.

That call is not the reason the Bills lost the game.

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, Nostradumbass said:

Sorry if this has been posted

Had to listen the 2nd quarter on radio

On the Bills first punt of the game Mayock clearly hints that he expects a fake from the Bills

first question - wth would we tip off a media personality?

second question - why would Mayock open his mouth, any Chiefs affiliate personal listening would have a chance to relay this info, no?

If you understand what you’re looking at you can tell when something is different. Theres a decent amount of the Bills offensive plays that I can call out what’s gonna happen just by looking at the formation, how players line up and the motion. 

some surprise plays are needed...apparently so are acting lessons...

over the decafes...fake punts, screen passes (other than Chan Gailey era) and draw plays have rarely been executed well in Bills history

I give Daboll credit for running the most trick plays and tackle eligible passes in team history.

Longest gain from scrimmage yesterday for Bills was 15 yards...chiefs has several - 8 I believe

how about a bomb or two...not just a show-me-one.... with a max protect blocking scheme.

47 minutes ago, RkFast said:

The decision to go for that play is on McDermott. But A LOT of critique here is on HOW the play was run. McDermott coaches the ST now? He sets up the formations and assignments in ST? Thats news to...well...literally everyone. 

Are we going to blame McD for Billy Buffalo not getting his suit drycleaned before the game now? Can we PLEASE keep the arrows aimed at McD to the ones he actually has responsibility for taking? 

He’s the head coach. The entire team is his responsibility. 

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, QB Bills said:

The Bills are an unprepared and sloppy team. That was none more evident than on that play yesterday and it's been apparent throughout McDermott's tenure here. He's in over his bald head and if not for Allen, he'd be coaching DBs in Carolina right now.

Was hoping to get a notification on my phone that he decided to move to Syria 

• Haha (+1) 1

It cannot be overstated what an inept decision that fake punt was.

HORRIFIC judgment from McLoser.

As has been said many times before, we not only have to beat the other team and the refs, we have to beat our own coach.

• Agree 1

49 minutes ago, RkFast said:

The decision to go for that play is on McDermott. But A LOT of critique here is on HOW the play was run. McDermott coaches the ST now? He sets up the formations and assignments in ST? Thats news to...well...literally everyone. 

Are we going to blame McD for Billy Buffalo not getting his suit drycleaned before the game now? Can we PLEASE keep the arrows aimed at McD to the ones he actually has responsibility for taking? 

So you think the Head Coach has no idea what the play design is on a fake punt, especially with that much on the line? He just told his ST coach - "Hey draw up a fake punt, I don't care what it looks like, but we're going to use it in a really critical spot in the game. Thanks." 

He's the HEAD coach. It's bad coaching whether he had no idea what the pay looked like or he did and still gave it the green light. And when there was confusion and Hamlin lined up directly behind the snapper and gave the whole thing away...yes, as a Head Coach, the guy with the power to call timeout...he should have. 

Also, if he gave that much unchecked power to a ST coach...what does that say when he's almost certainly about to fire that coach? He gave a coordinator who he knew was in over a head that much possible sway with the season on the line? 

How does any of this look good on McD?

• Agree 1

49 minutes ago, Jauronimo said:

When your punter is clearly injured and your defense isn't even slowing down the opponent, everyone is expecting a fake.

I really didn’t mind going for it in that spot. I definitely minded putting the punt team out there. 

4 hours ago, starrymessenger said:

And that's why it was a bad call. Terrible execution. To me that's 100% coaching.

Terrible execution is 100% coaching? Execution is a player thing.

3 hours ago, 947 said:

When I saw Hamlin switch sides of the formation, then switch back, I knew what was up. What I never could've imagined is that Hamlin himself would be running the ball. I can't fault McD for being aggressive when his Defense was getting gashed every drive, but what an utterly ridiculous way to do it.

Same here never saw him do this before I guess nervous Nelly telegraphed the call

4 hours ago, Nostradumbass said:

Sorry if this has been posted

Had to listen the 2nd quarter on radio

On the Bills first punt of the game Mayock clearly hints that he expects a fake from the Bills

first question - wth would we tip off a media personality?

second question - why would Mayock open his mouth, any Chiefs affiliate personal listening would have a chance to relay this info, no?

Where is the proof Mayock knew there was something coning? It may have just been a hunch by him. No one would have told him.

1 minute ago, MJS said:

Terrible execution is 100% coaching? Execution is a player thing.

Coach has to know if his player can execute what he's being asked to do.  Hamlin? Really? I'm not surprised at the result.  He is also responsible for ensuring the players are disciplined enough to get the job done  before he calls it. This was a completely undisciplined fiasco where the intention was telegraphed. Gee maybe they didn't practice it enuf. Oh and maybe the defensive set should inform as to the viability of the call. What was it eight or nine guys in the box? Of course the coach is not on the field but that doesn't take him off the hook. If it did they would all have championship rings because I'm pretty sure most NFL coaches know enuf to tell their players exactly what they need to do. So good execution is not just a player responsibility. 

5 hours ago, sven233 said:

You could see by the movement pre-snap that something was up.  It looked like there was some confusion and you could sense it was coming.  It surprised nobody.

This

Damar was pacing around back there. It was so obvious

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.