McDermott - Excuses, Valid but concerning

SCBills

2 hours ago, Italian Bills said:

After few days since another “Chiefs elimination”, my only thought is that unfortunately we will be stuck with McClapping. 

I wanna be clear: overall he’s not a bad coach, but as many here stated tons of times, he’s not elite, he’s not a coach that can take his team to a Lombardi and win it. 

I don’t know what is it, but he lacks something here and there, maybe is something about tactical skills, or maybe something about leadership and character, but he’s not a top dog, now is 6 years with Josh at QB ? With one of the top 3 QB in this League ? 

So my view is that until he’ll be the coach, nothing could change about our chances to finally get there. 

Honestly i envy the Chargers for the Harbaugh hire… i would like to have someone like BB… i don’t care about his past, we need a “bad man” at the helm, not some humble one. 

To the bolded italic, neither were Landry, Lombardi, Shula nor Belichek and Reid this early on in their HC careers. To claim he can’t get it done while making annual progression toward a SB Title is rather short sighted. He’s proven he can lead a pro football team very well. 
Look, I get frustrated with him at times as well. But he is evolving as a coach and has the respect of upper mgmnt and his players.

• Vomit 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

11 minutes ago, ScotSHO said:

Or just stop being a fan.  I'd say you're an enabler fan, ensuring we'll never win the big one.

Haha. Yes because ranting emotionally and incoherently on websites influences football games.

• Haha (+1) 1

3 hours ago, Herb said:

stacked roster

The roster is not stacked, outside of Josh.  Von Miller is washed. Tre White is washed.  Every NFL roster has a handful of guys at the Diggs/Kincaid/Oliver level, albeit at different postitons  from team to team.   The Bills super bowl teams were "stacked" with future hall of famers.   In the free agency era, its not clear any NFL teams are "stacked".  Maybe the niners because of the cap advantage of a cheap but good QB. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 2

56 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

I'm not sure I buy the loss is "on the offense" but for all of everything that happened in the game to that point you are absolutely right that at the 2:00 warning the Bills were right where they would have wanted to be. In FG territory already, with control of the ball and the clock and the game in Josh Allen's hands. They just couldn't execute on those two plays coming out of the 2 minute warning. On 2nd down if any one of the three things happens: 1. Dion holds his block another split second; 2. Shakir clears coverage slightly quicker (he just gets held up long enough); or 3. Josh is just able to manoeuvre another 6 inches of space in the pocket to get his throw away...... then the Bills score. 

The defense played a poor game, undermanned and our executed. But the offense had the chance to make that all moot at the end and failed to execute themselves. 

In Real time a lot of people including me were saying that TIME off the clock was more important than throwing to the end zone for a TD with nearly 2 mins left.  My issue is that even if he hit Shakir for the TD I really liked KC's chances to come down at the end and still win it.  The Bills D wasn't stopping Mahomes in crunch time. The Bills needed to get the 9 yards. KC was giving up short stuff in the middle of the field.  Bleed clock, go for the TD with very little time left, or if it comes down to a game tying FG, Bass would be closer and could likely hit it late and guarantee OT with a very late FG.

I thought the script was working out to be our reverse 13 seconds game, where Buffalo had the ball at the end to win...or would kick the FG at the buzzer and win in OT somehow.  Sadly, the worst outcome happened. Cursed.

• Like (+1) 3
  • Agree 2

LOl@ the bills being 76% favorites with 2 minutes left. 

that is what you call a broken computer my friends. 

and the bills had the ball at the end of the game? had they scored, the chiefs were always gonna have the ball back with decent clock left. 

Edited by Man with No Name
  • Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, Italian Bills said:

After few days since another “Chiefs elimination”, my only thought is that unfortunately we will be stuck with McClapping. 

I wanna be clear: overall he’s not a bad coach, but as many here stated tons of times, he’s not elite, he’s not a coach that can take his team to a Lombardi and win it. 

I don’t know what is it, but he lacks something here and there, maybe is something about tactical skills, or maybe something about leadership and character, but he’s not a top dog, now is 6 years with Josh at QB ? With one of the top 3 QB in this League ? 

So my view is that until he’ll be the coach, nothing could change about our chances to finally get there. 

Honestly i envy the Chargers for the Harbaugh hire… i would like to have someone like BB… i don’t care about his past, we need a “bad man” at the helm, not some humble one. 

You're 'stuck'?  There's 31 other NFL teams and a whole world of other things to do.  If it pains you so much, move on. 

On 1/22/2024 at 11:13 AM, Buffalo03 said:

Andy Reid went to 5 championship games and a Super Bowl in Philly. He just got unlucky in those championship games. The guy went to 4 in a row there, I believe. We can't even get that. The guy also had tons of success with Alex Smith. He was still better than McDermott at this point. It's not like Mahomes made Reid

The Eagles moved on from Reid even with those 4 NFCCG appearances. Like many have said here McDermott is a good coach but it appears this is as far as he can take them. Are we going to wait 20 years for him to figure it out. Allen will be wearing a gold jacket in Canton, Ohio by then. 

• Like (+1) 3
  • Thank you (+1) 1

8 minutes ago, SoMAn said:

You're 'stuck'?  There's 31 other NFL teams and a whole world of other things to do.  If it pains you so much, move on. 

Right? Griping about... anything...tends to not accomplish much.

Honestly, if the Bills are such a vexation, the guy should become a Pats fan, or a Niners fan, or a Steelers fan. You could literally spend a 24 hour period watching nothing but SB wins. That should be just what the doctor ordered. 

25 minutes ago, zow2 said:

KC was giving up short stuff in the middle of the field.

While I do think the Bills were a bit too aggressive coming out of the 2:00 warning, this is simply not true. KC was defending the sticks at that point, which is part of the reason that Shakir was coming free on the post.

2 minutes ago, Gregg said:

The Eagles moved on from Reid even with those 4 NFCCG appearances. Like many have said here McDermott is a good coach but it appears this is as far as he can take them. Are we going to wait 20 years for him to figure it out. Allen will be wearing a gold jacket in Canton, Ohio by then. 

I'm totally on board with trying something different but i can see the Bills hesitation.  I don't have the stats in front of me but over the last 4-5 years...Buffalo has like the 2nd best overall record (behind KC), the most TDs, the largest point differential, etc..  They have silly offensive stats that should have translated into a SB appearance or two.  We just have the unfortunate situation of having to get through Kansas City to go anywhere.  We are so close to them,,,but they don't blink at the end of games and we do.  Is this all on McDermott? Possibly it is. although did he call the shot into the end zone on 2nd down? I dunno.  Did he miss the FG?

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, GunnerBill said:

you are absolutely right that at the 2:00 warning the Bills were right where they would have wanted to be.

No, at the two minute warning I wanted the Bills to have a 14 point lead.  I think we all know the outcome of Reid vs. McDermott close games.   

23 minutes ago, zow2 said:

In Real time a lot of people including me were saying that TIME off the clock was more important than throwing to the end zone for a TD with nearly 2 mins left.  My issue is that even if he hit Shakir for the TD I really liked KC's chances to come down at the end and still win it.  The Bills D wasn't stopping Mahomes in crunch time. The Bills needed to get the 9 yards. KC was giving up short stuff in the middle of the field.  Bleed clock, go for the TD with very little time left, or if it comes down to a game tying FG, Bass would be closer and could likely hit it late and guarantee OT with a very late FG.

I thought the script was working out to be our reverse 13 seconds game, where Buffalo had the ball at the end to win...or would kick the FG at the buzzer and win in OT somehow.  Sadly, the worst outcome happened. Cursed.

The Bills played a time of possession strategy for 58 minutes and then after the 2-minute rather than continuing to methodically work the ball closer to the goal line and run the clock they mysteriously went with downfield passes.  I can lay this on Allen but did the coaches make it clear to him that we're going to play for the "last shot" situation?  Win or lose leave little to nothing on the clock?  Whether it was a communication issue or a change in direction, I put that on McDermott and Brady.  

I expect the 2024 season's excuse will be cap problems which hurt the team's ability to build depth and fill all the holes left in the roster through expiring contracts and other loss of players.  But that's Beane.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, Chaos said:

No, at the two minute warning I wanted the Bills to have a 14 point lead.  I think we all know the outcome of Reid vs. McDermott close games.   

In one score games vs Reid, McDermott is 3-2. But 0-2 in the playoffs. 

1 minute ago, zow2 said:

I'm totally on board with trying something different but i can see the Bills hesitation.  I don't have the stats in front of me but over the last 4-5 years...Buffalo has like the 2nd best overall record (behind KC), the most TDs, the largest point differential, etc..  They have silly offensive stats that should have translated into a SB appearance or two.  We just have the unfortunate situation of having to get through Kansas City to go anywhere.  We are so close to them,,,but they don't blink at the end of games and we do.  Is this all on McDermott? Possibly it is. although did he call the shot into the end zone on 2nd down? I dunno.  Did he miss the FG?

Fair point. Nobody would argue that McDermott is a good coach. Playoff appearances in 6 of the last 7 years. 4 straight AFCE titles. So, I could also understand the Bills hesitation, but 7 years and the playoff failures are becoming a regular thing now. It is a tough call but if it were me, I would make it. I would want Bill here. With an elite level QB he has won big time. His defenses would do a much better job against the likes of Mahomes and Burrow. Another name nobody has mentioned is Pete Carroll. He is an "advisor" for the Seahawks, but he was forced into that role. I think he still wants to coach. Won two national championships at USC and a Super Bowl with Seattle. He is a west coast guy so I don't know if he would want to come east. 

7 minutes ago, All_Pro_Bills said:

The Bills played a time of possession strategy for 58 minutes and then after the 2-minute rather than continuing to methodically work the ball closer to the goal line and run the clock they mysteriously went with downfield passes.  I can lay this on Allen but did the coaches make it clear to him that we're going to play for the "last shot" situation?  Win or lose leave little to nothing on the clock?  Whether it was a communication issue or a change in direction, I put that on McDermott and Brady.  

I expect the 2024 season's excuse will be cap problems which hurt the team's ability to build depth and fill all the holes left in the roster through expiring contracts and other loss of players.  But that's Beane.

The possession strategy, in part to protect the depleted defense was masterful.  Even Travis Kelce said on his podcast that it forced KC to be ultra proficient when they got the ball, because KC knew if their O failed they would not see the ball again for a while.  

Our coaches McD/Brady at the end have to be effing stupid.  That's all I can think.  or Allen went rogue and he should know better.  I really think that even if he hit Shakir, it was at least 50/50 that KC still wins the game.  There would have been too much time left.  

• Agree 2

2 minutes ago, zow2 said:

The possession strategy, in part to protect the depleted defense was masterful.  Even Travis Kelce said on his podcast that it forced KC to be ultra proficient when they got the ball, because KC knew if their O failed they would not see the ball again for a while.  

Our coaches McD/Brady at the end have to be effing stupid.  That's all I can think.  or Allen went rogue and he should know better.  I really think that even if he hit Shakir, it was at least 50/50 that KC still wins the game.  There would have been too much time left.  

Assuming Bass makes the extra point, which is not a sure thing it would have been 31-27. KC would have needed a TD unlike the FG in the 13 seconds game. It would have been a very nervous 1:30 left on the clock for Bills fans.

Boomer this morning on his WFAN show said Ben Johnson is a lock to become the next HC of the Commanders.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/nfl/boomer-esiason-says-commanders-next-head-coach-is-a-lock/ar-BB1hd8uI?ocid=entnewsntp&pc=U531&cvid=e17b38758de84163be72ab55482013c6&ei=19

Having watched how the game unfolded for the first 58 minutes and having game planned for that exact thing, a smart coaching staff takes every second off the clock, and uses all four downs to keep the damn ball away from the Chiefs offense. The deep throw to Shakir was beyond dumb. I’d even opine that the field goal try was pretty questionable. They should’ve used both third and fourth down to methodically consume clock and SMALL chunks of yards. Choke City……again! 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

11 minutes ago, SoCal Deek said:

Having watched how the game unfolded for the first 58 minutes and having game planned for that exact thing, a smart coaching staff takes every second off the clock, and uses all four downs to keep the damn ball away from the Chiefs offense. The deep throw to Shakir was beyond dumb. I’d even opine that the field goal try was pretty questionable. They should’ve used both third and fourth down to methodically consume clock and SMALL chunks of yards. Choke City……again! 

I made a similar post right at the thread merge and it got deleted.  I don't understand how you have a game plan for 58 minutes and then abandon it.  At that point, you have 4 downs to get 10 yards, that's it.  If you are bleeding the clock, you bleed the clock.  I can't see JA going "rogue" for 2 plays in a row.  It had to be by design.  The HC and OC should have been on the same page and had their QB on board as well.  Even with a TD there you are giving KC almost 2 minutes with TWO TO's who could move the ball pretty much at will to go for the go ahead score.  They should have stuck with the game plan until there were 5 seconds or less on the clock.  At that point, you either win or go to OT with a chip shot FG.  It's mind boggling and agonizing.  Why did McD change the philosophy at the end of the drive?  It makes no sense.  And, make no mistake about it, that is 100% on him.  !00%!! 

Edited to add:  That was a coaching DISASTER!

Edited by phypon
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1
  • Haha (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

2 hours ago, strive_for_five_guy said:

You can checkout any time you like, but you can never leave.

On my bucket list is to go one whole day of my life where I only speak or post on social media lyrics from songs.

Here's an example:

Well you do what you do and you pay for your sins,
And there's no such thing as what might have been,
That's a waste of time, Drive you out of your mind.

- Tim McGraw, from Red Ragtop

• Awesome! (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.