Wild Card Weekend - Wild Card Weather

14 minutes ago, GottaRun said:

Mine says 6" Saturday but most of that looks like it's really Friday night, so it could be cleared Saturday... but then again Saturday shows 55mph wind gusts... so who knows where the snow will actually end up... The accuweather link above shows even worse weather for Orchard Park https://www.accuweather.com/en/us/orchard-park/14127/daily-weather-forecast/2128285?day=3 

SUAW

STOP

USING

ACCU

WEATHER

• Haha (+1) 2

6 minutes ago, SoonerBillsFan said:

We have become so pathetically weak as a society. 

Lol.. I just want to win the Super Bowl.

What outcome gives us a better chance of that?

As far as weak, it’s all relative.. 

I spent my childhood in Syracuse/Long Island and loved the cold/snow.  The cold never bothered me.  

Now, after moving south, I hate it.  I’m always cold.  The weather Sunday sounds like a frozen hellscape. 

…but I can train outside in 90 degree weather with humidity and not feel like im going to pass out. 

6 minutes ago, SoonerBillsFan said:

We have become so pathetically weak as a society. 

Oh yeah, totally. People should shrug off deadly blizzard conditions and go about their business as if everything were normal. In fact, a multi billion dollar organization should play a game for fun and entertainment in the middle of it, and have nearly a hundred thousand people travel to assemble in one central location! I think that would be good, and smart, and also safe. Let's do it.

• Like (+1) 3
  • Eyeroll 2

Just now, TrentEdwardsCheckDownOn4th said:

Do you remember the storm last year when 50 people died . Or were you too strong as a human that your brain can't even remember those things?

Exactly.  Who fished them out of the snow?  How much gridlock did that cause?  I’ve lived through every cataclysmic storm since the Blizzard of 77.   It’s not about being weak as a society.  It’s about the morons who are going to go out there totally unprepared for winter weather.  Those morons affect everyone else.  The smart play is to ride it out and play the game on Monday for so many football and public safety reasons. 

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, Big Turk said:

Stop looking at anything that is not NWS Buffalo or Donn Paul. Those forecasts are meaningless. 

This is a localized event and they don't have the ability to forecast those.

I've noticed you keep spelling DON Paul's name incorrectly with two "n"s... so I feel like I gotta play grammar Nazi here to let you know and maybe save you a little ink in your electronic pen. There has never been a better and more precise meteorologist for this area than Mr. Paul... it's extremely rare for him to not be 100% accurate!

1 minute ago, SCBills said:

Lol.. I just want to win the Super Bowl.

What outcome gives us a better chance of that?

As far as weak, it’s all relative.. 

I spent my childhood in Syracuse/Long Island and loved the cold/snow.  The cold never bothered me.  

Now, after moving south, I hate it.  I’m always cold.  The weather Sunday sounds like a frozen hellscape. 

…but I can train outside in 90 degree weather with humidity and not feel like im going to pass out. 

Monday.  That’s the point.  If you’ve never lived through a storm like this you have no idea how hard it’s going to be to play an effective game.  Think a combo of Indy snow game and NE wind game.  It’s going to be a joke.  And the public safety concern is real. 

Unlike most people here I’ve sat through the frigid games against the Jets, the Raiders, NE playoff game, 07 Giants rain (worst weather ever), Indy snow.  You name it, I’ve been there.  The weather doesn’t bother me in the least from a personal perspective.  Frankly, I’d be thrilled about the forecast if we were 13-2 and had home field in the bag.  This is a bad forecast that poses a real threat to our football team and, if we have 70k people in town over the weekend, those visitors.  

• Agree 1

19 minutes ago, GottaRun said:

Probably what's being unsaid here is that a lot of us are trying to figure out if we'd be able to make our 90 minute or 2 hour drives into Orchard Park safely and in time to make the game.  So it's a mix of how would the game experience be and can I even make it to the stadium. 

Great point and I agree. However, I doubt even those folks are “trembling in their boots“ about it. Legitimate concern yes. Panic attacks, doubtful.

• Like (+1) 1

15 minutes ago, Big Turk said:

Stop looking at anything that is not NWS Buffalo or Donn Paul. Those forecasts are meaningless. 

This is a localized event and they don't have the ability to forecast those.

I’m curious as to why you think that all outlets don’t have access to the internet. Does Donn Paul (whoever that is) have a REALLY tall stepladder facing west? 

• Vomit 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

20 minutes ago, SectionC3 said:

There’s the idea.  Folks at OBD read this page.  The forecast is nuts and, if those winds and that snow come to pass, it’s a public safety issue.  So there’s the plan.  CBS gets a holiday game on Monday, we get some reasonable weather, nobody’s at risk of dying in a snowbank, and there we go. 

It's the NFL that would make the call. Not OBD

Been listening to GR all day, it doesn't sound like the snow is going to be anywhere close to the storms last year.  Mostly cold and a chance of snow band (that could dump) w less wind on Sunday and LOTS of wind tomorrow. 

Regardless w the right gear it should be fine. :beer:

And we're driving from Vermont for the game, so going to deal w it all the way there and back! 🙌

17 minutes ago, SectionC3 said:

I don’t care about sitting in the stadium.  I’ll be there, and I don’t mind the snow or the cold, and I’ll have a great time no matter the weather.  I’m just telling everyone - the idea of trying to park all of these people, and then get them out of there, in a blizzard is insane.  Particularly after 47 people died in a similar storm in 2022.  

Apparently you didn’t live through the 2022 storm.  

Was everything just fine the day after that storm hit?

• Like (+1) 1

6 minutes ago, SoCal Deek said:

I’m curious as to why you think that all outlets don’t have access to the internet. Does Donn Paul (whoever that is) have a REALLY tall stepladder facing west? 

Because unless they are in this area and have years of experience they don't know their ass from their elbows in these events because they have never actually forecasted these events.

The models give guidance but the actual forecasts are based off of a LOT more than this with these events which come from many years of experience and seeing how similar scenarios played out previously.

There is far more granularity required than what they are going to have...a slight wind shift can cause the snow to move 10 miles and cause one place to get buried and another to get nothing.

There is no way for these big outlets to forecast that properly. They are fine 99% of time, just not when truly localized events like this happen.

Edited by Big Turk
  • Agree 1

I think where the NFL messed up is playing 2 AFC games on Saturday. If you moved the Bills game to Monday (which I still think is probably a good idea), the Bills would be on 2 days less rest than their opponent which is a big deal at this point in the season. That could be a possibility anyway if only one AFC game was on Saturday but now it's guaranteed. 

• Like (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.