Greg Van Roten Pro Bowl?

Matt_In_NH

3 hours ago, Malazan said:

Saffold made the pro bowl.

Van roten has not and I bet he won’t.  This is a story about someone’s opinion on who should make the pro bowl.  I mean Jacob’s is having a terrible year and he is one fifth of that.  Not sure I’d be is deserving or not but it is at least surprising someone does.  Either a hot take or he is outperforming what most thought of him.  

1 hour ago, Ethan in Cleveland said:

First string ProBowl is not a joke. Being named an alternate and then making the ProBowl because 5 other guys declined is a joke.

Dustin Hopkins may be All-Pro K this year. He is on his fourth team after the BIlls gave up on him.  He was OK with Washington but now is having his best year of his career at age 33.

If I recall, Dusty got injured his rookie year before TC and we had to sign Dan Carpenter, who had an amazing season. 

• Sad 1
  • Agree 1

1 hour ago, Matt_In_NH said:

Van roten has not and I bet he won’t.  This is a story about someone’s opinion on who should make the pro bowl.  I mean Jacob’s is having a terrible year and he is one fifth of that.  Not sure I’d be is deserving or not but it is at least surprising someone does.  Either a hot take or he is outperforming what most thought of him.  

It is true that it is just some random media guy's opinion, however, the fact that anyone outside of his mother/wife believes that he might make the pro-bowl is still pretty surprising considering how bad he was with the Bills and the Jets and how mediocre he has been his whole career.

Edited by Billy Claude

4 hours ago, boyst said:

if we had kept Teller and Van Roten and evaluated LB's properly in the draft we might not have needed to use resources on the line we have now. just sayin.

Yeah, horrible decision to take Bernard in RD3. Knowing that, we should totally make snap judgments on Dorian Williams. 

Edited by JGMcD2

6 hours ago, Matt_In_NH said:

I found this surprising/interesting. NFL.com projecting Greg Van Roten to be a pro bowler.  He was with the BIlls last year I think on the PS and was released after TC this year, picked up by the Raiders and has started all year.   We are all happy with the Bills guards this year but I think this shows how much depth they have had.  David Quessenbury has been playing for the Vikings also recently.

https://www.nfl.com/news/nfl-offensive-player-rankings-week-16-building-the-afc-2024-pro-bowl-games-roste

I saw a few Raisers games this year and he never stood out to me either way, which probably is a good thing.  

Last season in Buffalo he was really bad.  That can’t be denied 

3 hours ago, Malazan said:

You were pretty wrong

?? I was never wrong about Milano. I said he was better and more important to the team than Edmunds.

2 hours ago, JGMcD2 said:

Yeah, horrible decision to take Bernard in RD3. Knowing that, we should totally make snap judgments on Dorian Williams. 

Spector, Edmunds,  Joseph, a few others im forgetting

• Dislike 1

8 hours ago, boyst said:

if we had kept Teller and Van Roten and evaluated LB's properly in the draft we might not have needed to use resources on the line we have now. just sayin.

Yeah I’m sure you were all aboard the “resign our back up center and make him a starting guard” train last year. Gimme a break captain hindsight.

9 hours ago, TheyCallMeAndy said:

If I recall, Dusty got injured his rookie year before TC and we had to sign Dan Carpenter, who had an amazing season. 

Yep. Hopkins was a horrible situation for the Bills. They drafted him, committed to him, released Lindell and then he suffered a season ending groin tear on the eve of his rookie year. Carpenter came in and made 91% of his FGs including multiple game winners in what turned out to be a career year. It kinda left them in a perilous spot. Go with a proven vet who just had an exceptional year or roll with the kid who has never kicked in an NFL game off a major groin injury. 

There is another dimension somewhere where Dustin Hopkins is the Bills kicker for a decade. But in this dimension circumstance put paid to it.

5 hours ago, boyst said:

Spector, Edmunds,  Joseph, a few others im forgetting

Spector was a 7th and is still on the roster im year 2 as a core STer and a backup LB. That is not a miss. Vosean Joseph, yep they missed badly on that pick, no doubt, but he was a 5th rounder. Not a day 2 pick.

• Sad 1

14 hours ago, Ethan in Cleveland said:

First string ProBowl is not a joke. Being named an alternate and then making the ProBowl because 5 other guys declined is a joke.

Dustin Hopkins may be All-Pro K this year. He is on his fourth team after the BIlls gave up on him.  He was OK with Washington but now is having his best year of his career at age 33.

I don’t think they gave up on him. If I recall he got hurt right before the season started and they had to scramble to find a replacement in Dan Carpenter.  

• Sad 1

8 hours ago, gobills404 said:

Yeah I’m sure you were all aboard the “resign our back up center and make him a starting guard” train last year. Gimme a break captain hindsight.

I've always been on a build from the inside out train. I didn't want scrubs like Sherfield or Harty here. I didn't want to overspend on JAG WRs. Josh can make decent WR's good. But not midgets.

I didn't like signing Felciano, he was a wannabe brute but he was tougher than the candy asses we had. I did not like saffold. I thought Bates was the good swing interior guy, and wanted youth over older vets at the time we were growing and lowladed at other talent. 

3 hours ago, GunnerBill said:

Yep. Hopkins was a horrible situation for the Bills. They drafted him, committed to him, released Lindell and then he suffered a season ending groin tear on the eve of his rookie year. Carpenter came in and made 91% of his FGs including multiple game winners in what turned out to be a career year. It kinda left them in a perilous spot. Go with a proven vet who just had an exceptional year or roll with the kid who has never kicked in an NFL game off a major groin injury. 

There is another dimension somewhere where Dustin Hopkins is the Bills kicker for a decade. But in this dimension circumstance put paid to it.

Spector was a 7th and is still on the roster im year 2 as a core STer and a backup LB. That is not a miss. Vosean Joseph, yep they missed badly on that pick, no doubt, but he was a 5th rounder. Not a day 2 pick.

Include the evaluation of veterans and we have been sub par.

25 minutes ago, boyst said:

I've always been on a build from the inside out train. I didn't want scrubs like Sherfield or Harty here. I didn't want to overspend on JAG WRs. Josh can make decent WR's good. But not midgets.

I didn't like signing Felciano, he was a wannabe brute but he was tougher than the candy asses we had. I did not like saffold. I thought Bates was the good swing interior guy, and wanted youth over older vets at the time we were growing and lowladed at other talent. 

Include the evaluation of veterans and we have been sub par.

It is true that the Bills have not been great signing vet F.A. until this year. 

However, I have no idea where this narrative that players leave the Bills to become stars come from.  Outside of Teller which was 5 years ago, which players would Beane regret that that the Bills did not resign?

28 minutes ago, Billy Claude said:

It is true that the Bills have not been great signing vet F.A. until this year. 

However, I have no idea where this narrative that players leave the Bills to become stars come from.  Outside of Teller which was 5 years ago, which players would Beane regret that that the Bills did not resign?

Oh, please do not believe I am thinking that players leave here and become all stars. Unless you count Justin armour, kamar Aiken, Chris Hogan, Harrison phillips, Tremaine Edmonds, Ray Ray McCloud, Dustin hopkins, jabari Greer, that wild goose kid.... Those are immortal Stars that cannot be refuted 😜

Edited by boyst

13 minutes ago, boyst said:

Oh, please do not believe I am thinking that players leave here and become all stars. Unless you count Justin armour, kamar Aiken, Chris Hogan, Harrison phillips, Tremaine Edmonds, Ray Ray McCloud, Dustin hopkins, jabari Greer, that wild goose kid.... Those are immortal Stars that cannot be refuted 😜

I don't get your point.     Your original argument was that the Bills were bad at evaluating vets because they should have kept Teller and Van Roten.  The people you listed are JAGs or folks from way before Beane (Hopkins, Greer) or way too expensive (Tremaine Edmunds --   a decent player but not worth the money the Bears gave him).  So are you saying the Bills are okay at evaluating vets?

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.