We finally get a good look at the rings around Uranus.

PromoTheRobot

37 minutes ago, 4merper4mer said:

Whoever named that planet deserves an award.

They probably had a group of scientists in the room when they were naming planets. They went around the room and let everyone name one planet. Coincidentally, the "Uranus" guy had been drinking. The name came out in the middle of a long giggle. 

giphy.gif

• Haha (+1) 1

6 hours ago, 4merper4mer said:

Whoever named that planet deserves an award.

The name "Uranus" was first proposed by German astronomer Johann Elert Bode in order for it to be in conformity with the other planetary names - which are from classical mythology. Uranus is the ancient Greek deity of the Heavens, the earliest supreme god.

7 minutes ago, PastaJoe said:

The name "Uranus" was first proposed by German astronomer Johann Elert Bode in order for it to be in conformity with the other planetary names - which are from classical mythology. Uranus is the ancient Greek deity of the Heavens, the earliest supreme god.

He didn't last because the other gods laughed at him behind his back.

• Haha (+1) 1

11 hours ago, PastaJoe said:

Also, the correct pronunciation emphasizes the first syllable: URanus, which makes you think it may have the scent of liquid excrement. Well, the planet's atmosphere does contain methane.

2 minutes ago, Simon said:

I passed that sign driving across the country a few years ago and almost put the truck in the median trying to look back and confirm what I just saw. :lol:

We saw it this spring while driving to the southwest. No need to look back and confirm - there's another one a few miles down the road. And another. And another...

2 minutes ago, WhoTom said:

We saw it this spring while driving to the southwest. No need to look back and confirm - there's another one a few miles down the road. And another. And another...

Yeah, I saw that eventually and all I could think of was 200 miles of Wall Drug signs across S Dakota.

On 12/23/2023 at 8:49 AM, WhoTom said:

Untitled.jpg.7285fb765a57bc50d9a520348449cb5f.jpg

Untitled.jpg.b2adcbf46abff105dcc7596959b63d3d.jpg

Uranus Fudge Factory And General Store

Robert, MO 65584

Uranus is a tourist attraction in unincorporated rural Pulaski County, Missouri, United States, along the former U.S. Route 66 (US 66). All businesses are owned by Louie Keen, who calls himself the "Mayor of Uranus".

Remember: Missouri is the show me state

On 12/21/2023 at 9:47 PM, 4merper4mer said:

If that were true the planet would be named Myanus.

Maybe he was looking fondly at the scientist next to him and had one of those “did I say that outloud moments” 

On 12/21/2023 at 10:58 PM, PastaJoe said:

So if I call my boss the Chief ####### it’s really a compliment. HR shouldn’t have an issue then. 

On 12/21/2023 at 9:58 PM, PastaJoe said:

True, but what's odd is that all the other planets are named for Roman gods, but Uranus comes from Greek mythology. The Roman equivalent is Caelus.

54 minutes ago, \GoBillsInDallas/ said:

Imagine going through your life with this name:

https://www.williamthompsonandsonfuneralhome.com/obituary/RichardDick-Smallwood

I used to work with a guy named Bill Goodenough. He pronounced it "Good-e-now."

When my wife worked in landscaping, she had a customer named Dick Goodenough. He pronounced it "Good enough."

1 hour ago, WhoTom said:

I used to work with a guy named Bill Goodenough. He pronounced it "Good-e-now."

When my wife worked in landscaping, she had a customer named Dick Goodenough. He pronounced it "Good enough."

Were they government employees, perhaps?   😋

• Haha (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.