James Cook: a thread of appreciation

Success

James Cook is turning into the next Alvin Kamara before our eyes. 

The type of talent at RB, with a receiving skill set, that probably makes the Bills contemplate a second contract down the line.  …especially given he was barely used at UGA. 

• Like (+1) 3
  • Agree 1

7 minutes ago, SCBills said:

The type of talent at RB, with a receiving skill set, that probably makes the Bills contemplate a second contract down the line.  …especially given he was barely used at UGA. 

I've completely changed my opinion of Cook. Him and Ty looks like a great combination. Ken Dorsey HAD to be the problem!! No way the run to pass ratio would've favored the running game

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 2

12 minutes ago, Punch said:

And: 1st in the AFC (and 2nd in the NFL, to McCaffrey) in rushing yards.

He's only getting better, keep him involved in the passing game.

He rarely seems to take hard hits, his balance and vision are excellent. That's what makes Kamara so special, although AK also has great size.

Yea. He has incredible vision and burst . I'm some of those repairs, I was amazed he was able to see those holes opening up. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

I’ve been a critic of Cook (draft selection, not necessarily the player) but I was impressed with a few of his cuts/runs today.

I think he continues to be a key piece, and for whatever reason, Allen is now willingly taking the back when nothing is there down the field.

I will give props to Brady for sticking with the ground game, getting guys in space, and opening Allen’s eyes to the need to take it.

I still have some concerns about this offenses ability to press the ball down the field, but today was a new way to win. I only wish they would have had this ability at earlier points throughout the year! 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

3 hours ago, finn said:

Was it McDermott or Dorsey who benched Cook when he fumbled earlier in the year (and last year)?

Hopefully Dorsey, cuz if it was McDermott it's one more awful decision by the HC/DC that cost them the Broncos game and put them in the position they're in.

• Agree 1

12 minutes ago, HomeTeam said:

Yea. He has incredible vision and burst . I'm some of those repairs, I was amazed he was able to see those holes opening up. 

He just glides through crowds, he always seems to find a crease. He also pushes the pile pretty well when he lowers his shoulder. I've been waiting 25 years for another Thurman Thomas. As good as our RBs have been since Thurman left, James Cook is the closest to that all-purpose RB who can do it all (with respect to Fred Jackson, who I love).

If McDermott wants complementary football, he's got it. As long as he continues to understand the purpose and also continues to trust Brady.

Edited by Punch
  • Like (+1) 2

3 minutes ago, Punch said:

He just glides through crowds, he always seems to find a crease. He also pushes the pile pretty well when he lowers his shoulder. I've been waiting 25 years for another Thurman Thomas. As good as our RBs have been since Thurman left, James Cook is the closest to that all-purpose RB who can do it all (with respect to Fred Jackson, who I love).

If McDermott wants complementary football, he's got it. As long as he continues to understand the purpose and also continues to trust Brady.

Yea, his hands is hard to put into words but glides is a good word. He seems just seems to have another extra gear out there. 

Really happy with what we've seen with Ty Johnson too. He's a physical runner. I wonder if Fournette will even get a call up, hard to make a change at the moment. 

• Like (+1) 1

39 minutes ago, SCBills said:

Cook now is 2nd in the NFL in rushing and has over 1400 yards from scrimmage on the season, which I believe is only second to McCaffery.  Should finish somewhere between 1600-1800 yards from scrimmage this year which is an excellent season, and wouldn't be surprised if he goes on a run of 2,000+ yards from scrimmage seasons starting next year as long as he remains healthy. Just starting to hit his groove and coming into his own, and the Bills finally figuring out how best to use him.

20 minutes ago, EmotionallyUnstable said:

I’ve been a critic of Cook (draft selection, not necessarily the player) but I was impressed with a few of his cuts/runs today.

I think he continues to be a key piece, and for whatever reason, Allen is now willingly taking the back when nothing is there down the field.

I will give props to Brady for sticking with the ground game, getting guys in space, and opening Allen’s eyes to the need to take it.

I still have some concerns about this offenses ability to press the ball down the field, but today was a new way to win. I only wish they would have had this ability at earlier points throughout the year! 

When Allen willingly takes the checkdowns, the Bills offense becomes almost unstoppable...DC's are literally praying he stops throwing the checkdowns to Cook and Kincaid. We may be seeing the evolution and the maturing of Josh Allen right before our eyes right now.

9 minutes ago, HomeTeam said:

Yea, his hands is hard to put into words but glides is a good word. He seems just seems to have another extra gear out there. 

Really happy with what we've seen with Ty Johnson too. He's a physical runner. I wonder if Fournette will even get a call up, hard to make a change at the moment. 

Ty Johnson just seemingly is one of those players that makes something good happen whenever he touches the ball.  Have really loved what he has added since Harris has gone down.

Edited by Big Turk
  • Like (+1) 3
  • Thank you (+1) 1

1 hour ago, finn said:

I think this is the third game in a row that Davis hasn't had a catch, isn't that right? For a WR2, that's not good. 

You're right, for a WR2 it wouldn't be good. For Davis and the Bills it's just right. The less they need to rely on him, the less unreliable he is... and the better he and the Bills play. When he's an integral piece of the game plan the Bills have been screwed too many times.

• Agree 1

17 minutes ago, HomeTeam said:

Yea, his game is hard to put into words but "glides" is a good word. He just seems to have another extra gear out there. 

I think my post on the game day thread got buried by all the bromance going around at the time.

There was a very good call on WGR ( I know i was shocked also) about how John Elway was an excellent QB for many years but after Terrell Davis came on the scene he turned into an elite QB, I think the very same thing can happen here with Cook giving Allen some much needed relief from having to put the entire team on his back.

• Like (+1) 1

8 minutes ago, BuffaloBillsGospel2014 said:

I think my post on the game day thread got buried by all the bromance going around at the time.

There was a very good call on WGR ( I know i was shocked also) about how John Elway was an excellent QB for many years but after Terrell Davis came on the scene he turned into an elite QB, I think the very same thing can happen here with Cook giving Allen some much needed relief from having to put the entire team on his back.

I won't argue the overall point about the value of a great RB, but Elway was always elite. It's like saying Dan Marino wasn't elite. Marino's greatness wasn't enough to win a championship without a running game, but it doesn't diminish how talented he was. Same with Elway, he just wouldn't have been enough to win a SB on his own.

Edited by transient
  • Like (+1) 3

44 minutes ago, transient said:

I won't argue the overall point about the value of a great RB, but Elway was always elite. It's like saying Dan Marino wasn't elite. Marino's greatness wasn't enough to win a championship without a running game, but it doesn't diminish how talented he was. Same with Elway, he just wouldn't have been enough to win a SB on his own.

I was just relaying what the guy on the radio was saying, I agree he was elite but winning the SB's sure cemented his legacy even further and TD got him those SB wins imo. 

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.