Hail Marys

Yockopondowsk

58 minutes ago, strive_for_five_guy said:

How about a Hail Mary attempt in the middle of the game, when the other team is not expecting it?  Would our chances of converting be increased from a normal Hail Mary?

That’s an excellent idea and I can’t recall any team ever doing it.

I would love to see that happen.

Imagine all 4 receivers (plus a TE?) streaking straight toward the end zone against Cover 1. There would be pure panic on the defenses part.

• Like (+1) 1

59 minutes ago, eSJayDee said:

If it's a "short" hail mary & you've got a QB w/ a good arm, it might be barely feasible.  Although the defenders are bunched, they're still spread out for maybe 8-10 yds, and they're not on the sideline, but rather more toward the middle of the field.  So even if you set up "in the corner", you've got at most 30 yds before other sideline.  I doubt any QB can throw more than 50 yds in < ~3 seconds.  Once that ball is airborne, a DB can run almost 30 yds in ~3 seconds.  If you can somehow time a receiver receiver surreptitiously break for the other sideline just as the QB is throwing, it might be viable.  But again, I think only for a "short" hail mary.

An added potential bonus of attempting this strategy is that it's more likely to draw a DPI penalty.  DPI isn't usually called on the melee that is typically a hail mary, but it might be (much) more likely if it's a defender hauling butt to try to defend a single receiver that's all by his lonesome, & further gives the receiver the opportunity to try to "induce" it.

1 hour ago, eSJayDee said:

I doubt any QB can throw more than 50 yds in < ~3 seconds.  Once that ball is airborne, a DB can run almost 30 yds in ~3 seconds.  

I think you’re vastly underestimating the velocity on a deep pass. The ball gets there a lot faster than you think.

For example, the high arching moon-ball hail mary against KC was 3.38 seconds from the time it left Allen’s hand until it touched the first players hand in the end zone.

A normal deep pass - like the 52 yard (in the air) deep ball TD from Allen to Emmanuel Sanders in the 2021 playoffs took only 2.55 seconds after it left Allen’s hand.

4 minutes ago, Einstein said:

I think you’re vastly underestimating the velocity on a deep pass. The ball gets there a lot faster than you think.

For example, the high arching moon-ball hail mary against KC was 3.38 seconds from the time it left Allen’s hand until it touched the first players hand in the end zone.

A normal deep pass - like the 52 yard (in the air) deep ball TD from Allen to Emmanuel Sanders in the 2021 playoffs took only 2.55 seconds after it left Allen’s hand.

You might be right, I don't think I've ever timed a pass, or at the very least, it's not something I'm familiar w/.  I'm basing that estimate on punts, which I am quite familiar w/, both my own & pros.  Though it's contrary to the typical intent, I'd think it difficult to punt a ball 50 yds in the air & have it arrive in < ~3 seconds.

Thinking about it further, consider someone running under a "bomb".  Considering they're already at speed, they'd easily cover 30+ yds once a ball is airborne.  I don't think QBs have to lead them that much so I guess that makes this strategy more viable.

• Agree 1

5 hours ago, DabillsDaBillsDaBills said:

WTF!!!!!!

I was at that game with my Dad. It had to be Nov. 22, his birthday.

We left with two minutes to go as we were going to lose and he wanted to get a jump on traffic. We weren’t the only ones. Stands were emptying out big time.

We were just outside the fence when we heard the roar of the crowd. I was 11 years old.

Awesome memory😍

THANK YOU!!!!

• Awesome! (+1) 1

9 hours ago, BarleyNY said:

Exactly.

A) Highly unlikely the player is uncovered. The offense will have (at most) 5 players in the EZ while the defense will have 8 (plus or minus one).

B) Even in the unlikely case that a player does break open, the defense will have time to get there while the ball is in the air. 

Yeah that's thew trouble with these hail mary's , the defense only rushes like 3 players so the QB has all the time in the world and usually throws this rainbow that takes forever to come back down to earth.

Have all the receivers on one side running down to the EZ. Have one break off and cut to the center of the field at about the 20.  Josh hits him in stride.  All the receivers in the EZ block the defenders so they can't tackle the man with the ball.

I was at the game in 2018 when the crafty Nathan Peterman tried to run with it. That didn't work. Always figured he tried to run it cuz he couldn't throw it that far.

13 hours ago, Yockopondowsk said:

How difficult should it be to scheme a Hail Mary pass, even just a little?  We are so used to seeing a group of 4 receivers or so, and defenders the same, engage in NBA-like jump-ball mayhem with a low % of success. How hard would it be to pull everyone to one side of the end zone, and at a preset time have a guy (Diggs or Shakir) sneak out the back door and haul butt to the other side of the end zone. With Allen’s arm?  Russell Wilson was doing this a bit with Seattle a couple of years ago.  He threw to a preset spot.  

I think you make a good point. It’s not just the arm to get it in the end zone. It’s the ability Josh has to throw a rope from a seriously long distance. So that the defense doesn’t have time to react and run to the ball. Bunch everyone up in the left. And send a Diggs or Shakir to the opposite corner of the end zone. And Josh slings that thing as hard and fast as he can. Knowing that the one WR you have making a break in the play in the only one that could possibly get there in time. 

23 hours ago, Bleeding Bills Blue said:

You have to turn your head around if you are on under coverage and they give you a lot of leeway with contact at that point.  This play doesn't really work in a hail mary situation as you have probably 3 players down field who are watching the WRs and the QB.  They aren't going to get PI on an underthrown ball because they can see the ball as soon as its thrown.  

I never understood why that makes a difference... I mean, if you make egregious physical contact with the receiver prior to the ball arriving, that's a penalty... regardless of where your head us facing.

That call on Taron Johnson against Denver.... the ball was underthrown, Johnson was turning a round when he ran into the reciever, i don't understand what Johnson is supposed to do there... if he turns around sooner he allows the receiver to separate.

Get guys one-on-one run a go route and then underthrow by 5 yards... PI every time.

Just now, pi2000 said:

I never understood why that makes a difference... I mean, if you make egregious physical contact with the receiver prior to the ball arriving, that's a penalty... regardless of where your head us facing.

That call on Taron Johnson against Denver.... the ball was underthrown, Johnson was turning a round when he ran into the reciever, i don't understand what Johnson is supposed to do there... if he turns around sooner he allows the receiver to separate.

Get guys one-on-one run a go route and then underthrow by 5 yards... PI every time.

If he turns his head around sooner he'll be able to play the ball, and potentially intercept it.  

1 minute ago, Bleeding Bills Blue said:

If he turns his head around sooner he'll be able to play the ball, and potentially intercept it.  

But he needs eyes in the back of his head to know that a) the ball has been thrown and b) that its underthrown.   

If he turns too soon he risks losing the reciever.   

I never played the game, not sure what the proper technique is.. maybe watch his eyes to anticipate the ball arriving?

12 minutes ago, dave mcbride said:

Or the Bills could sign him and have Josh Allen throw hail marys all game long.

I’m afraid the odds would be against him surviving the first attempt, but it would be a nice trick to have in your bag! Once. 

I recall WAY back when, the Chiefs would put a tall jumper back there trying to block long FG’s at the goalposts. 

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.