Tyler Dunne story on McDermott - 3 parts, 25 interviews, one damning conclusion

Roundybout

35 minutes ago, JaCrispy said:

I turned on McD after 13 seconds, when he threw his special teams coach under the bus because of a mistake that McD, himself, made…

It was then, I knew this franchise was in trouble as long as he was HC (not to mention all of the ridiculous clapping)…It reminds me of when EJ Manuel celebrated like he won the Super Bowl simply for doing a hard count, and getting the defense to jump- so cringe…😉

That definitely was what initially put me on the fence.  I still wanted to believe he was the guy.  I wanted to believe he wasn't prepared for that and crapped his pants but would learn from it and it wouldn't happen again. I do believe he is a good man and I do believe he is a good coach.  Just not quite good enough.  Last year kept me on the fence. Mostly only because how he handled the Hamlin incident.  That was good coaching.  However, I didn't buy into the mentally exhausted stuff after the Bengals game. 

Then came this year.  No defensive head coach should have a defense play this bad against a team like the Pats.  I felt also that Allen was screwed in the head because of McD and his constant badgering of "needing to get that out of his game" with the running.  You don't take a QB like this and neuter him.  Then it happened again in Denver.  Then I was already done with him but the final nail in the coffin... kneeling the ball with 20 seconds on the clock and Josh Allen as your QB.  It confirmed he learned nothing from 13 seconds.  That was it for me.

I guess I could change my mind again if he actually did the thing and this team at least got to the SuperBowl this year and wasn't completely embarrassed in it.  I still really think this team has the talent to do that with the AFC the way it is this year. This is a really bad year to be a mediocre team like we are.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

9 minutes ago, Scott7975 said:

Nobody is cheering this.  Not one Bills fan wouldn't love for McD to be that guy that leads us to a super bowl trophy.

Yes, some people are cheering...but more so getting entertainment from it.

The article is slanted...saying McD is jealous because he didn't have that relationship with his players, when he believes coaches shouldn't have those types of relationships with his players, but never brings up that the reason McD said that about the truck is because it goes against his coaching philosophy and instead "jealousy"

It's a character hit piece

• Like (+1) 1

4 hours ago, Scott7975 said:

I don't necessarily disagree with anything you say here. I don't know Dunne from a whole in the wall.  I just have seen people like Tim Graham and such give him respect.  Yes, he may be as you say a tabloid peddler but I like reading that stuff as long as what is written is not made up.  I have no reason to believe any of his sources are fake.  I have no reason to believe anything his sources said was a lie and I have no reason to believe he inaccurately quoted his sources.  Some stuff in the article was his perception or take on the comments to paint a story, but I am intelligent enough to see opinion from the rest and I take it as such and make up my own mind.

I like reading that stuff because I like to know.  There are always secrets behind what really happens.  Not enough people report on that stuff.  I hear stat stuff and BS Josh Allen sucks talks everywhere.  I don't care to hear it all the time.  I mean, who didn't want to know what really happened with "i wasn't privy to that conversation" or things like who really took charge in that draft or when did they know they were going to fire Whaley.  Was it because of that?  Was it because McD didn't like him?  There are all kinds of things I would have liked to know from past regimes that people just speculate about.  Now we get real information and all people want to do is discredit it act as if it's all fake and all bs and just a witch hunt or something.  Why?  Because they are too scared that McD will get fired and we will end up like the Sabres.

What the Pegulas do with all this is their business.  Personally, I do not think McD is the right coach.  I think that he pisses his pants in key moments.  Something that Dunne tries to get across and pretty much outright says in the article, but I have thought that since 13 seconds.  The article had nothing to do with it.  I also think McD is a good football coach and everything he does is to try and get this team to win a championship.  I don't think anything he does has ill will and I have no reason to believe he is a bad guy.  I just think that "his way" is the wrong way.  This article pointed out to me more of the "his way" stuff that I didn't even know about. I believe every word of it.  Doesn't change anything for me really.  Just gives me more insight into his coaching. 

Ultimately, while I think McD is a good coach, I don't think he is a good enough coach.  As the article paints a picture of... this team is only going to win a championship if it overcomes the head coach.  I firmly believe that and I believed that before the article.  It's too hard to win a championship like that.  You already have to overcome injuries, referees sometimes, the way the ball bounces, luck, facing teams that are either better than you or at least on par with you.  It takes too much to win a championship if you have to overcome the HC. 

13 seconds is on Sean McDermott.  He has shown nothing since then that he learned from it.  In fact we have lost games in the same fashion from the same coaching style.  This is why I think he needs to go.  Not because of the article or anything in it.  Simply because I believe he isn't good enough and hasn't learned from that.  He still craps his pants.  He still folds in big moments.  This is why he takes timeouts at the end of the game defensively. Just kneeling the ball with Josh Allen and 20 secs against the best team in the league is enough to show me he hasn't learned a damn thing. It showed he is still coaching scared.  Instead of looking at what Josh could do in 20 seconds to win a game, he thought about what could lose the game.  I don't want a coach like that.  I want a coach that sees he has one of the best and most gifted QBs to ever play in the NFL, hands him the ball and says go win this football game.  Too many people are afraid that we will go back to being a crap team by hiring a worse coach.  As long as Josh Allen is here, it won't get worse.  Josh Allen is what is carrying this team, not Sean McDermott.

Anybody that disagrees with any of that, I respect that but this is my opinion on it.

I feel a lot of people would agree with you based on what you said about him as a football coach.  

I think Dunne rubbed fans the wrong way for a variety of reasons including his style of reporting which relies on finding former players with negative p

1 hour ago, PBF81 said:

It's more like a small book.  ... about 80 pages.  Very well written.  

Well worth the $8.  Pay, download, cancel.  🙂

It’s as simple as people not wanting to patronize him.  I completely get that 

• Agree 1

I listened to the King interview and yes it was melodramatic.  Within the interview was McD's apology and guess what?  It was as some others said, not sincere & more "I got caught, so better apologize and cover my a$$".  And then using not once, but twice "I lost someone Very close".  If you did, then you of all people should understand how wrong to use it as motivation in a speech to your team.

We are on a merry-go-round.  This year there is no doubt at all his coaching has held the team back.  The late game meltdowns are one thing, but again my main concern is what he has done with the offense and how he affected Josh Allen.

Him shouting at Allen after an interception as opposed to having a conversation says a lot about him.  As not a fan I saw it as McD upset his defense is back on the field.

Would really bothered me is just how much influence he has had on the offense this year and game planning that side of the ball.

• Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, HardyBoy said:

The article is slanted...saying McD is jealous because he didn't have that relationship with his players, when he believes coaches shouldn't have those types of relationships with his players, but never brings up that the reason McD said that about the truck is because it goes against his coaching philosophy and instead "jealousy"

I should be the first in line cheering, but read my posts & the Bills winning the SB is all I want.  No fan wants the Bills to lose.  

As I've said win 9 in a row McD and you'll be more then welcomed back with open arms and while we will complain at blunders during the year, few will call for your head in 2024.

What the article did was confirm what many of us have thought.

Quit being so melodramatic.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, JohnNord said:

It’s as simple as people not wanting to patronize him.  I completely get that 

That's fine, but then at the same time I fail to see how such morally oriented people feel so free to comment on his work, considering that 90-some percent of it is behind the paywall, and discuss his motives in compiling the piece, which obviously took many months and wasn't written in a week as so many of those "forthright" people have speculated.  

If the coach were Jauron back in the day and the topic was the opposite, some writer working up a great piece about what a competent coach he is and great guy, how do you think those same people that refused to read something that they feel fully qualified to comment on would say/do re: that.  (rhetorical)  

Patronize, don't patronize, but when the reason is pure emotion, it's terminally disingenuous to do what they claim he's doing to McD, despite a mountain of evidence much of it well known publicly, to him.  

• Like (+1) 1

I’ve spent my 20 year-career reading people. It isn’t necessarily the words that they say, it’s body language, tone, intent, cadence, confidence, etc… Authenticity is one of the most important qualities in a person. He lacks that. 

McDermott always felt like a bit of a fraud to me. He seemed like that friend’s dad that you didn’t really like growing up. He felt like he’d be nice to your face but deep down didn’t want you around his kid. One of the least surprising things about this article was the part about him being annoyed that the WRs bought Chad Hall that truck. That feels “on brand.” This isn’t meant to be a comparison but do you think Mike McDaniel would care if his WRs bought their coach a truck? That guy feels REAL. That’s not meant to say “McDanel = good and McDermott = bad.” I think that we’d all agree that McDaniel feels more authentic than McDermott. 

I do not think that McDermott was “admiring” the terrorists. He isn’t evil. He’s just fake. I think that he poorly chose his words. He has spent the last half-dozen years trying to keep things tight within OBD. I believe that he believes that’s what’s best for the team. I also believe that it’s because he doesn’t want all of “the truths” out there. It’s a little of that too. 

I don’t want him gone because he said something stupid in 2019. I want him gone because isn’t the guy to take this team across the finish line IMO. 

• Like (+1) 7
  • Agree 4
  • Awesome! (+1) 3
  • Thank you (+1) 2

4 minutes ago, Billsfan1972 said:

I should be the first in line cheering, but read my posts & the Bills winning the SB is all I want.  No fan wants the Bills to lose.  

As I've said win 9 in a row McD and you'll be more then welcomed back with open arms and while we will complain at blunders during the year, few will call for your head in 2024.

It's going to be very interesting the changes in views here in just five weeks.  

4 minutes ago, Billsfan1972 said:

Right, and you're willing to get a super bowl by any means necessary, even if that is standing in the square of a public flogging throwing rotten vegetables.

• Vomit 1
  • Eyeroll 3

5 minutes ago, Kirby Jackson said:

I’ve spent my 20 year-career reading people. It isn’t necessarily the words that they say, it’s body language, tone, intent, cadence, confidence, etc… Authenticity is one of the most important qualities in a person. He lacks that. 

McDermott always felt like a bit of a fraud to me. He seemed like that friend’s dad that you didn’t really like growing up. He felt like he’d be nice to your face but deep down didn’t want you around his kid. One of the least surprising things about this article was the part about him being annoyed that the WRs bought Chad Hall that truck. That feels “on brand.” This isn’t meant to be a comparison but do you think Mike McDaniel would care if his WRs bought their coach a truck? That guy feels REAL. That’s not meant to say “McDanel = good and McDermott = bad.” I think that we’d all agree that McDaniel feels more authentic than McDermott. 

I do not think that McDermott was “admiring” the terrorists. He isn’t evil. He’s just fake. I think that he poorly chose his words. He has spent the last half-dozen years trying to keep things tight within OBD. I believe that he believes that’s what’s best for the team. I also believe that it’s because he doesn’t want all of “the truths” out there. It’s a little of that too. 

I don’t want him gone because he said something stupid in 2019. I want him gone because isn’t the guy to take this team across the finish line IMO. 

Spot on.

• Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

8 minutes ago, HardyBoy said:

You see what you see.  I don't see cheering.  What I see is that people who want McD gone seeing their beliefs line up.  There really are things in the article that do add up to what we see from his coaching.  I also see people who haven't even read the article trying to discredit it because they don't want to see McD fired.  That IMO is just as bad as what you are accusing people of.  Also just as bad is people cheering on domestic violence because they hope the team can get out of the Von contract. Are you in that thread saying this?

As for the truck incident... regardless of his opinion on jealousy being right or wrong... that coaching philosophy is just dick move.  He turned a loving moment into a bad thing.  That should never happen.  Hall was a great coach.  Now he is being a great coach for Jacksonville.  Bad job.

• Disagree 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

14 minutes ago, Billsfan1972 said:

I listened to the King interview and yes it was melodramatic.  Within the interview was McD's apology and guess what?  It was as some others said, not sincere & more "I got caught, so better apologize and cover my a$$".  And then using not once, but twice "I lost someone Very close".  If you did, then you of all people should understand how wrong to use it as motivation in a speech to your team.

We are on a merry-go-round.  This year there is no doubt at all his coaching has held the team back.  The late game meltdowns are one thing, but again my main concern is what he has done with the offense and how he affected Josh Allen.

Him shouting at Allen after an interception as opposed to having a conversation says a lot about him.  As not a fan I saw it as McD upset his defense is back on the field.

Would really bothered me is just how much influence he has had on the offense this year and game planning that side of the ball.

The “I lost someone close” thing annoyed me, like that absolves him from any accountability. 

That’s like when people are against gay marriage but then claim they have nothing against them and say “But I have friends that are gay!”

• Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 2

7 minutes ago, HomeskillitMoorman said:

The “I lost someone close” thing annoyed me, like that absolves him from any accountability. 

That’s like when people are against gay marriage but then claim they have nothing against them and say “But I have friends that are gay!”

Yep, pathetic response.  I wish a reporter had asked him to identify the person…

16 minutes ago, HardyBoy said:

Right, and you're willing to get a super bowl by any means necessary, even if that is standing in the square of a public flogging throwing rotten vegetables.

Again melodramatic?????

Like 90% of fans, I had absolutely no idea who McD was when hired and frankly didn't care (unless stories came out of him being a wife beater, a criminal, low character.....).  

You see I'm just a fan who watches on Sunday (and am here way too much).  Do I care about the combines & the draft?  Very little.  I disappear when the season is over and return when the Bills have played their first game and will give opinions when I think I have something to add (or get off my chest).

As said midway through year one, McD started to rub me the wrong way.  I did not like the term "Process", I don't like when religion creeps into coaching and is brought up and then he started Peterman.  I had already seen the offense disappear and yep I attributed it to McD.

I have been lambasted for saying that I think Allen should have been fast-tracked and the fact the Bills went 48 games without a 300 yard passing game showed how little McD understood about where football is (and is going) and something no other coach would/could do.

2017-2019 the Bills did fine in one score games and it was basically a byproduct of the offense being held back (playing not to lose and no chance of ever coming back).  Remember 2021 and all the close losses and a 7-6 record after losing to TB?  Five of the losses was <7 points.  

Just rambling, but yup never was a fan of McD and boy do I wish he proved me wrong (as do 98% of the people here).

Edited by Billsfan1972

17 minutes ago, Kirby Jackson said:

“I spent my 20 year-career reading people” - 

“This means I can tell you which people are frauds and which ones aren’t frauds by watching them on TV”

Makes sense.  

• Eyeroll 1
  • Disagree 1

14 hours ago, FireChans said:

I thought the “Dorsey is next on the block” was a bit hackery.

I think anyone with a brain had higher odds on Dorsey getting fired this year more than anyone else on the staff. And rightfully so with a bipolar offense that didn’t have a counter punch last year. 

That quote sounded really axe to grind like imo 

That might have true at the end of the year.  And it was correct.  Pointing out the obvious isn't n axe to grind.  Did countless posters posting for Dorsey to be fired have an axe with the Bills to grind?  Of course not.  Makes no sense.

• Like (+1) 1

16 minutes ago, Scott7975 said:

You see what you see.  I don't see cheering.  What I see is that people who want McD gone seeing their beliefs line up.  There really are things in the article that do add up to what we see from his coaching.  I also see people who haven't even read the article trying to discredit it because they don't want to see McD fired.  That IMO is just as bad as what you are accusing people of.  Also just as bad is people cheering on domestic violence because they hope the team can get out of the Von contract. Are you in that thread saying this?

As for the truck incident... regardless of his opinion on jealousy being right or wrong... that coaching philosophy is just dick move.  He turned a loving moment into a bad thing.  That should never happen.  Hall was a great coach.  Now he is being a great coach for Jacksonville.  Bad job.

Absolutely I'm saying that about the Miller thing and him getting benched... the last week has been a really crappy eye opening look into the fan base.

The problem is the article doesn't portray his approach as being a crappy outdated coaching approach with regards to the truck piece...it portrays him as being a jealous narcissist.

• Agree 1

1 minute ago, Mr. WEO said:

That might have true at the end of the year.  And it was correct.  Pointing out the obvious isn't n axe to grind.  Did countless posters posting for Dorsey to be fired have an axe with the Bills to grind?  Of course not.  Makes no sense.

The guy didn’t “point out the obvious,” which was that Dorsey was rightly on the hot seat. 

He said McD would throw him under the bus to save his own skin and insinuated that it would be an unjustified firing. Which is not really true.

It would be like, today, saying “Watch, Terry is going to fire McD and make an example out of him so he gets a cover story for those alleged racist comments.”

Ostensibly, it sounds plausible. 

But the reality is McD is probably just gonna get fired because he had a bad coaching year on a team with high expectations. 

Anyone who thinks #1 is much more plausible than #2 is because they are grinding out that axe, imo.

• Like (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.