Tyler Dunne story on McDermott - 3 parts, 25 interviews, one damning conclusion

Roundybout

2 minutes ago, Einstein said:

Why do people think Dunne asked for credentials? He is a National NFL writer. Why would he ask for a Bills credential?

I don't think Adam Schefter has a Bills credential either...

Dunne was very close with Doug Whaley and Isiah Mckenzie, two people who McDermott essentially fired. I don't think that he's being professional here. And here's his tweet from 6 hours ago on Bills' press credentials. He implies here that he got them taken away when he left B/R to write on his own with no editorial control.

• Like (+1) 1

Just now, billieve420 said:

This article changes nothing for me. McDermott's seat should be warm right now. Team needs to pull it together and go on a run or fold. If team collapses Pegula should take long hard look at replacing the coach. Will he is a different question. 

This story and the Von Miller situation are such huge distractions that there is no way that this team will pull it together. I can hear them taking sides in the locker room from here in Cincinnati. 

5 minutes ago, Einstein said:

Ahh, you're playing the semantic game. 

Ok, ill rephrase.

The fact that he could find 25 coaches, players, personnel men and other team sources that were willing to say such damning things about a coach who has only been a head coach for 6 years... that speaks volumes by itself.

Yes, I know how you hate accuracy.

Edited by Malazan

IDGAF what anyone says...This HC is the very best since Marv Levy (1997) and his story is unfinished as he could get to and win an SB. With the Buffalo Bills or the next. Should he get fired because of all the ruckus by the fans and he takes Beane with him...this franchise is screwed. 

I have no idea why so many previously win-starved Bills fans want to see this man leave. 

What are the odds that any new hire as HC would do as well or better than McD? Have someone in mind?

https://www.milehighreport.com/2022/2/1/22910382/nfl-head-coaching-carousel#:~:text=The average winning percentage for,Bill Peterson at 5.3 percent.

As of the last few seasons, the biggest roadblock to Buffalo getting to an SB has been the Kansas City Chiefs who have been to 3 of the last 4 SBs and won 2 of them.

For some reason, the Chiefs and Mahomes are faltering this season.  

• Agree 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, RoscoeParrish said:

How many times has McD started a presser with:

“We have to be better and that starts with me” 

I lost count on presser #53.  

Tyler Dunne wants clicks. 

Do you believe people are accepting responsibility when they say broadly "I accept responsibility" or when they talk specifically about what they're accepting responsibility for?  

• Like (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, Governor said:

This is getting sad and putting the players in a terrible position. I think Terry should step in right now and fire McD. Each day this is going to get worse. 

It's definiltely something new that makes his situation more untenable by the week now.  

It's just a matter of time at this point.  

Our performance on the field is hardly irrelevant also.  

3 minutes ago, Einstein said:

Ahh, you're playing the semantic game. 

Ok, ill rephrase.

The fact that he could find 25 coaches, players, personnel men and other team sources that were willing to say such damning things about a coach who has only been a head coach for 6 years... that speaks volumes by itself.

They cut 40 players a year and he's fired multiple coaches.  Without going back and looking at how many players they've brought back that's roughly 200 people who could have said something bad about the guy.  The fact a little over 10% of the people he's fired have something bad to say about the guy isn't surprising in the least.  It says more about those people than it does Sean.

• Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, Low Positive said:

Dunne was very close with Doug Whaley and Isiah Mckenzie, two people who McDermott essentially fired. I don't think that he's being professional here. And here's his tweet from 6 hours ago on Bills' press credentials. He implies here that he got them taken away when he left B/R to write on his own with no editorial control.

That makes sense. Organizations are credentialed (and therefore the employees). Not individual writers. For example, if Joe Buscaglia left The Athletic, he would lose his credentials and have to re-credential with whatever organization he went to.

Whether you like McClappy or don't like McClappy, he has confirmed the 9/11 speech. This and other bits of TD's article are all over X/Twitter. McClappy has completely embarrassed the Buffalo Bills.

No owner of a franchise wants to be embarrassed and this is particularly embarrassing especially given what happened on October 7.

Using an analogy that I referenced in another post, this likely is McD's Waterloo.  He is an embarrassment and a fraud. If I were Terry Pegula, I would be thinking I don't need this BS - especially with talent we have on our team and the new stadium (not to mention what happened with Kim).

McClappy needs to go.

By the way, the team that we have would be very desirable for an outstanding coach.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Disagree 1

4 minutes ago, Mikie2times said:

In addition, if this article is such a grave injustice we should hear about it

If you listen closely, you can hear the faint echo of all the players/coaches sticking up for McDermott and stating that the article is full of falsehoods.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 2

11 minutes ago, WEATHER DOT COM said:

McDermott going along with the made up story?

In the video he first says he "lost a good family friend" but then in the end he says it was "multiple family friends."

Kind of an odd thing to revise. If you lost mulitple friends, you'd say that from the get-go, am I wrong?

• Eyeroll 1

Just now, thenorthremembers said:

They cut 40 players a year and he's fired multiple coaches.  Without going back and looking at how many players they've brought back that's roughly 200 people who could have said something bad about the guy.  The fact a little over 10% of the people he's fired have something bad to say about the guy isn't surprising in the least.  It says more about those people than it does Sean.

So the assumption is he interviewed 200 people and went with the 25 that has something bad to say. Got it. 

• Like (+1) 2

34 minutes ago, PBF81 said:

How would I know.  

So you're insinuating that he really hasn't then?   

If you were a journalist and relied upon confidentiality for your sources, you're saying you'd violate those unwritten agreements and tell the world who told you what?  

Come on ... that's a ridiculous question and you know it.  

I didn't say that. You made most of that up in your own head.

I have worked as a journalist and no editor would ever allow 25 anonymous sources.

The way it's supposed to work is that you work hard to get your sources to let you attribute them as closely as possible and have to be willing to not publish people if they won't agree to a level that is sufficient. For example, a former coach says he doesn't want you to use his name, you suggest to use, "a former coach on the Bill's defense" or something like "former positional coach from Carolina". That's not what is done here. 

The entry level guy who cuts film can be referred to as a coach.. the person selling pretzels can be a team source that passed through one bills drive (oh, every single coach who has ever entered the stadium could also be a coach who has passed through one bills drive.. opponent, interviewee for a position someone who visited the stadium) so you can see why journalists would want to be as specific as possible. 

That's always been loose in sports writing, but this is egregious. The big reason for this is to allow the reader to gauge how reliable the source is and second.. to examine why the source is sharing this information. In this case, it's sort of odd that it happened a couple years ago and we never heard a peep about it. 

As you can easily see, I have thought McDermott needs to go for awhile now due to the amount of drama around this team, but I have a strong opinion about responsible journalism and I'm not willing to unhinge myself and forgive bad journalism because it advance my own agenda. 

Edited by Malazan
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Eyeroll 1

2 hours ago, dave mcbride said:

From the recent BN story about Frazier, LF seems to still have a tight relationship with McDermott, and it seemed genuine from the piece. 

I mean it was the most polite firing I've ever seen.

1 hour ago, Ray Stonada said:

🤦‍♂️

So he actually said it, the fact that he also said it in 2021, what a nice sentiment for players right before September and the 20th anniversary.

Just now, Mikie2times said:

So the assumption is he interviewed 200 people and went with the 25 that has something bad to say. Got it. 

No the assumption is he knew 25 people who had something bad to say about the coach.   He wasn't weeding though people.  He was going directly to people who had an axe.to grind.  My point if you actually read it, is given the amount of people he's interacted with over his 7 years here its not surprising they could find a small subset of those people who didn't like him.

• Agree 1

1 minute ago, Nephilim17 said:

In the video he first says he "lost a good family friend" but then in the end he says it was "multiple family friends."

Kind of an odd thing to revise. If you lost mulitple friends, you'd say that from the get-go, am I wrong?

McD is full of it.

I can't believe there are people on this forum still defending this man.

McD learned from Ron Rivera the biggest fraud in the NFL. Both will be out of jobs at the end of this year and the NFL will be a better place.

• Like (+1) 3
  • Haha (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 2

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.