Sources say ZERO PERCENT chance McD is fired

Brand J

Whether he is going to get fired or not, the question is whether he should be and the answer is unequivocally yes.  He is a horrible game manager.  That in and of itself, regardless of whatever so-called positives he brings to the table, should be enough at this point to get the guy fired before Josh Allen's entire prime is totally wasted.  Whatever some billionaire owner with zero accountability to the public is actually going to do is beside the point ... great, the billionaire owners don't care enough about winning at the highest level, cool.  Sean McDermott is not a championship level coach ... so enjoy having him around.  

• Haha (+1) 1

11 minutes ago, TheyCallMeAndy said:

Again not saying he doesn’t need to be canned if we miss the playoffs.

I’m trying to point out his shortcomings are common and the 2024 coaching pool looks thin. 

Giving Beane/McD one more season and hire a new HC/GM in 2025 may be a better longterm move. 

Josh doesn't need to waste another season of his career on this staff.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Eyeroll 1

I have thought this for a while now.

I'm in the camp that McD's time here is done, but I also don't think Terry Pegula is going to do it.  Terry has had a terrible track record of hiring coaches for the Sabres.  McDermott turned the franchise around.  Unlike us, I don't think Terry's goal is "Super Bowl or Bust" - I think his goal is to be competitive for the division and win a playoff game or two.  McD can do that.

If they must keep McD... then what I would like to see:

- New defensive coordinator

- Someone like Ernie Adams running gameday decision making.  McD crumbles under pressure, he needs someone in the booth making the fourth down calls, challenges, etc.

• Like (+1) 1

"When asked about Ryan and Whaley’s job security, Pegula was emphatic in his response that both were safe:

'We just hired the guys! Doug’s (Whaley) a new GM basically (promoted in May 2013). And we just hired Rex (Ryan). We’re talking about continuity, and the players need that,” Pegula said. “Our coach needs to know that, through the good and the bad, there’s stability. The players need to know there’s stability. And by the way, that doesn’t help our players any to start reading that their coach is going to get fired.' ”

“You have to have continuity,” Pegula told USA TODAY Sports during the NFL meetings this week. “I don’t care if you’re drilling oil in gas wells or you’re running a sports team. If you keep changing things, nothing’s going to work.”

McD might as well list his house right now...he's been given the Pegula vote of confidence/(kiss of death).

• Haha (+1) 3

31 minutes ago, TheyCallMeAndy said:

And you realize, then, that the only coaching answers are AR and BB? Because they’ve been the only coaches to consistently get there? 

I get McD isn’t perfect, and may never win a SB even with an elite QB. Shoot, it may take lighting in a bottle to get one, but fans complaints also explain 99% of the coaches out there. 

I get we likely need to move on, but this mindset that he is easily replaceable is baffling to me. 

As evident to…?

I distinctly remember a coach named marv levy getting to afc championships and superbowls.  

2 minutes ago, sullim4 said:

I have thought this for a while now.

I'm in the camp that McD's time here is done, but I also don't think Terry Pegula is going to do it.  Terry has had a terrible track record of hiring coaches for the Sabres.  McDermott turned the franchise around.  Unlike us, I don't think Terry's goal is "Super Bowl or Bust" - I think his goal is to be competitive for the division and win a playoff game or two.  McD can do that.

If they must keep McD... then what I would like to see:

- New defensive coordinator

- Someone like Ernie Adams running gameday decision making.  McD crumbles under pressure, he needs someone in the booth making the fourth down calls, challenges, etc.

They already have Marc Lubick who runs game management

6 minutes ago, JohnNord said:

It’s not working for a 6-5 Houston Texans led by a former DC from San Fran

Let's give it a couple of years okay?  Like Allen, Stroud may be so good he can hide some of the issues with having a defensive minded coach.  Or maybe the former D coordinator for SF spent enough time with Shannahan to have some of that magic rub off.

But I stand by my opinion here: 

*  McD is not right for the job because defensive minded coaches will waste the talents of elite QB's

*  The Bills organization, led by McD/Bean has not properly invested in the offense while over investing in the defense.

Fired or not fired, I just pray that those of you that think every bounce of the football is McD's fault (with zero actual evidence or correlation) get fed up and either stop making every single one of your posts about it or find another team to root for.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 1
  • Dislike 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.