Kneel Down Game: Final Nail in McD’s Coach Coffin

Thrivefourfive

13 hours ago, LABILLBACKER said:

Well if that is true, and I don't think it is, then this organization is in more trouble than we thought.  Fans can always protest with their wallets.

There are plenty of people that will move into those seats. Let them vote with their wallet.

13 hours ago, NoSaint said:

As historically bad as your takes have been it’s fantastic that you keep making up certainties based solely on your own gut.

Says the people that think the coach should be let go after one down year after a series of years of making the playoffs

***** you too

• Like (+1) 1
  • Eyeroll 1

1 hour ago, All_Pro_Bills said:

The hindsight is 20/20 comments.  That implies without the ability to fully know the outcome questioning decisions made without the benefit of that outcome absolves those responsible.

In my time I've sat in lots of meetings with decision makers that made poor decisions and when later analyzing the disaster they caused invoked the "hindsight excuse".  How could anyone have known the outcome would be bad?  Well generally 3/4's of the people in the room knew it was the wrong decision, voiced their opinions and stated facts, and proposed alternative approaches to solving the problem or pursing some strategy or goal.  But the leader, the person in charge, the person that made the ultimate decision ignored their input and their concerns and went ahead with the their approach or strategy regardless.  And then when it went up in smoke said who could have known?  When I hear McDermott go to the hindsight excuse I recall back to the other's I've heard firsthand use that one to absolve themselves from accountability.  All of them saying "it's not my fault".

The "hindsight is 20/20" comments show you that McDermott is saying, "it's not my fault"?

No offense, but that's on you. That just shows your confirmation bias.

"Hindsight is 20/20" is simple truth. It means nobody can see the future perfectly. You're assuming that he meant, "and therefore I'm blameless." But you make that assumption only because you don't like the guy. He could just as easily have meant, "so I can learn from the results of my actions there," as what you're saying.

McDermott is precisely correct that when a judgment turns out to be wrong, far more people "knew" it was wrong afterwards than said so at the time. In your example, I'm sure you're right that 3/4s of the people in the room in the room at the time suddenly remember later how they really had opposed things even though generally when 3/4s of the people at the time actually speak up and say they're wrong, most decisions - not all, but most - are affected and re-thought. McDermott, by all accounts, listens and considers opinions. He doesn't always change his mind, but he

More, the fact that we lost doesn't mean we would've won if the decision had been different. We might easily have lost by more and in less time.

I didn't like either of those decisions, myself. But they're very defensible. As is the notion that if Cook makes the catch and the two FGs are made, and Allen doesn't throw that INT (though he had a terrific game overall) there is a wildly different result.

• Disagree 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

In nearly all the tough losses you can point to decisions by McD. The most recent you have the all out blitz in Denver. Then the last game the 20 seconds decision and the TO's used. Its odd because the Denver move is being overaggressive when he did not have to be. Then the PHI is being overly conservative. He seems to lack situational awareness and make bad decisions under pressure. Hence the abnormally high losses in close games. When the pressure is on McD folds. 

• Disagree 1
  • Agree 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

9 minutes ago, The Firebaugh Kid said:

The point being you never ever handcuff JOSH ***** ALLEN. Kneeling was absolute cowardice. 

I have been wondering if Josh thought about changing the play away from a kneel down and going for it against his coach's call?  McD's late game calls are getting to be so bad that it will likely happen at some point if he doesn't radically improve his in game management.

• Agree 1

We fans simply don't know what goes on behind the scenes with coaches and schemes with the reasons for decisions. YES, the buck stops with McD and yes it looks like he had better hire a DC as being both DC and HC takes away from his view as HC.

Let's not forget that this is the very same HC that took this team to 13-3 seasons and built one of the very best teams in the NFL...despite all the injuries. A perfect playoff game against the hated New England Patriots, 47-17

That Philly game came down to one play in OT where the QB threw it at one spot and the WR went to another as it should have been the game-winning TD. Bills OC Joe Brady took the blame for that missed pass.

Most of the losses this season can be placed right on former Bills OC Ken Dorsey as it was noted that the Buffalo offense was schematically broken and teams knew what was coming. This has changed big time in the last few weeks under Joe Brady.

I for one would like to see where it takes Buffalo this season... hopefully to the playoffs.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Dislike 1

You mention McDermott and the assets invested on the Defense.  

This is why I can't get on Beane too much, because his job is to work with the Head Coach and get him players to fit the scheme he has in place.  

McDermott has had a ton of talent on his defense, year in/year out.. at the expense of the offense around Allen. 

We signed Floyd & Poyer over what could have been a Hopkins signing this off-season.   We then sustain injuries and Beane gets McDermott Linval Joseph and Rasul Douglas.  

The only way a defensive minded HC makes any sense in the modern NFL is if you can load up the offense because the HC can take middle of the road investment and coach them up into a good defense.  

We do the opposite.. We invest heavily on defense, at the expense of our offense, and if we have injuries, the defense falls apart.  In big moments, the defense falls apart.  

What exactly is the point of having a defensive minded HC at the expense of offensive stability for our star QB?   Especially when he actively hurts us with his decision making against upper tier coaches?

Can anyone make a valid argument for keeping him, sans a 5-0 finish and playoff run, aside from "Pegula coaching search makes me scared?"

• Like (+1) 4
  • Agree 1

1 hour ago, Buffalo03 said:

That was very thorough. I really hoped you stopped to breathe after writing it and had paper towels right next to you to wipe the sweat off your forehead. Did you check your blood pressure? How are them fingers feeling? Did you ice them after typing all that?

He was using the paper towel for something else I think

• Like (+1) 1

Getting rid of McDermott is one of the stupidest things this franchise could do. We have such an illustrious record of landing head coaches that it rivals our ability to land franchise QB's!  Grass is not always greener.  After Levy and Wade we were just a gold mine of head coaching talent: Gregg Williams, Mike Mularkey, Dick Jauron, Perry Fewell, Chan Gailey, Doug "Obviously" Marrone, Rex Ryan, Anthony Lynn. Grass in never greener on the other side.  I will take McDermott, thanks.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Buffalo_Bills_head_coaches

• Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1
  • Dislike 1

McDermott gets a lot of credit for bringing this organization back from the dead. He’s done a lot of great things.  Defensive coordinators as head coach are becoming dinosaurs.  We have top-2 or 3 best QB in the NFL.  These other guys have their head coaches as their OC’s as well and they are always in sync.  If you get a good OC in Buffalo he will be head coach somewhere else in a year or so.

• Like (+1) 1

missing the playoffs should be cause for his termination, and I agree, missing the AFCCG should be cause.  Everything else is backsliding from where we were in 2020-21.  And McD's inability to improve, and those BS excuses, really, he should have been fired on Monday for killing the clock with 20 seconds left.  

18 minutes ago, rm -rf /* said:

Getting rid of McDermott is one of the stupidest things this franchise could do. We have such an illustrious record of landing head coaches that it rivals our ability to land franchise QB's!  Grass is not always greener.  After Levy and Wade we were just a gold mine of head coaching talent: Gregg Williams, Mike Mularkey, Dick Jauron, Perry Fewell, Chan Gailey, Doug "Obviously" Marrone, Rex Ryan, Anthony Lynn. Grass in never greener on the other side.  I will take McDermott, thanks.

how many of them had Allen?  If McD coached the teams those guys had, we'd be lucky to sniff the playoffs.  

• Disagree 1
  • Agree 2

8 hours ago, longtimebillsfan said:

It is refreshing to read a senseable and logical viewpoint.

Thank you for bring back a reasonable viewpoint to TBD.

These posters with pitchforks and a mob mentally that have high jacked TBD has grown tiresome. 

The fans who love mediocracy have grown tiresome, as tiresome as an McD excuse.  

• Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 2

11 hours ago, Turk71 said:

Passing up a chance to win in regulation when there was a chance they would not even get another possession in OT is gutless and just plain stupid. People would have clearly seen just how stupid it was if the Bills had lost the coin toss and had never got another possession. Just because the Bills happened to win the toss doesn't make his decision any better. 

How else is change gonna happen?

The OT coin toss is stupid.

• Haha (+1) 1

27 minutes ago, RyanC883 said:

missing the playoffs should be cause for his termination, and I agree, missing the AFCCG should be cause.  Everything else is backsliding from where we were in 2020-21.  And McD's inability to improve, and those BS excuses, really, he should have been fired on Monday for killing the clock with 20 seconds left.  

how many of them had Allen?  If McD coached the teams those guys had, we'd be lucky to sniff the playoffs.  

Such a flawed argument. How do you know we would even have Allen if it was not for McDermott. Everyone thought we had the wrong Josh, remember?  His high character prereuisite likely narrowed the field quite a bit to where our choir boy was a shoe in.

It takes so much more than a QB. History is littered with great QB's that went no where. Bill Walsh said Trent Williams was another Joe Montana, and until he got absolutely smoked that night in Phoenix, I was feeling it.  JP Losman was another one I think was ruined by a crap organization. Mike Sherman wanted to draft him in Green Bay, and when Green Bay fired Sherman he wanted to come here to coach Losman. What could have been?  Based on what has happened since we drafted the wrong Josh, who knows?

• Haha (+1) 2

1 hour ago, rm -rf /* said:

I read this stuff from Bills fans wanting to replace the best HC this franchise has seen since Marv Levy and the best GM since Bill Polian. 

A few things come to mind, are these really Buffalo Bills fans or Dolphins, Jets, and Patriots fans wanting to stir the pot on getting rid of an HC that has been kicking their butts the last few seasons? 

So, if these mostly are Buffalo Bills fans does this fanbase even deserve to get to a Super Bowl with all the whining and complaining from these so-called fans when things go wrong? Every NFL team faces adversity and injuries and I didn't read that the Ravens fans wanted to fire Harbough when the team went 8-9 in 2021. 

Did McD or Beane cause the defense to lose 3 of their best players early this season? Or lose so many defensive players last season?

I can understand why McD waited to fire Ken Dorsey as he did a great job last season and there were a few game stretches this season when the Bills beat the Raiders, Commanders, and Miami Dolphins. That Dolphin win 48-20 with the offense humming on all cylinders.  

Beaten by the Jaguars, Patriots, Bengals, and Broncos and almost beaten by the NY Giants, and Buccaneers too. It was the Buffalo offense falling on its face as they couldn't score in the first half for some reason. McD did the right thing as the offense has found itself again under new OC Joe Brady. 

Currently, the Buffalo Bills are one of the very best teams in the NFL and the fan base needs to calm down on wanting to change things. I'll bet that the Patriots owner is hoping that Buffalo FO listens to some disgruntled Bills fans and fires McD so he can hire him to win the AFC East again. 

• Eyeroll 1
  • Agree 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.