2024 Salary Cap

Mikie2times

3,4,7,8,14 are all out w injuries.  Accounts for some of the lack of performance.  The Bills are not getting bang for the buck due to bad signings(Miller) and/or bad luck(Milano).  White is now likely done in Buffalo, and Miller shouldn't be on the field either.  Rehab at practice , right!

5 hours ago, Paup 1995MVP said:

Is Bates good enough to be a starting NFL center and anchor a good NFL O line is the big question ?

It is a good question. But it’s worth noting that the Bills paid him like a starter when the matched the RFA offer from the Vikings. (At least I think it was the Vikings.)

Edit: It was the Bears. 

Edited by BarleyNY

3 minutes ago, BarleyNY said:

It is a good question. But it’s worth noting that the Bills paid him like a starter when the matched the RFA offer from the Vikings. (At least I think it was the Vikings.)

It was the Bears. I only remember that because a huge RFA offer to Bates is the most Bearsy thing ever.

• Thank you (+1) 1

46 minutes ago, BarleyNY said:

I thought it was the Bears. 

And  I am sure he is glad he chose the Bills over the Bears.  

• Thank you (+1) 1

14 minutes ago, Paup 1995MVP said:

I thought it was the Bears. 

And  I am sure he is glad he chose the Bills over the Bears.  

50 minutes ago, RyanC883 said:

we will NEED to hit on drafting a center (Rd2?) in next draft.  Also need a WR 1 (to pair with Diggs and eventually replace him.

Yes, it was the Bears. Thank you both. 

6 hours ago, Ed_Formerly_of_Roch said:

Agree Bengals were a train wreck for a long time, worse even the the Bills.

Actually didn't Buffalo trade one of their tackles to the Bengals and allowed them to move up in draft.  Was one of the picks indirectly used to get Allen.  My post wasn't just referring to in season trades.  I was more implying they may have traded off players for more picks to rebuild.

We refuse to trade picks away and we dont trade for picks, it is absurd.  You are correct in 2018 we did a pick swap with Buffalo, 12 for 21 in the 1st Round.  The Bengals also gained a 5th on that trade and Cordy Glenn.  With the #21 pick we selected Billy Price.  Glenn and & Price were both awful for the Bengals.
I think the Bills actually traded the #12 they received from Cincy to Tampa to move up and acquire Josh?   Did you guys also get Edmunds in the 1st Round that year too?  That is a lot of wheeling and dealing I will never see from my team.

7 hours ago, Matt_In_NH said:

What do you mean by another its not like they have been doing this?   I think the OP has some likely moves but that barely gets the Bills under the cap and there will be lots of holes to fill.  The numbers work but who are the safeties?  Who are the DT's?  #2, #4, #5 WR?

My implication was that there is no room, aside from the draft, to substantially acquire talent. The retooling referenced is going to be similar to this past off season IMO

54 minutes ago, EmotionallyUnstable said:

My implication was that there is no room, aside from the draft, to substantially acquire talent. The retooling referenced is going to be similar to this past off season IMO

ok, I agree to an extent.  They will have to make some additional moves to sign a guy like Harty or Connor McDermott... I actually think at most you will get one guy with a decent AAV and we will likely see 2-4 comp picks for next year as a result.  The draft is going to become super important.

1 hour ago, Caesar said:

We refuse to trade picks away and we dont trade for picks, it is absurd.  You are correct in 2018 we did a pick swap with Buffalo, 12 for 21 in the 1st Round.  The Bengals also gained a 5th on that trade and Cordy Glenn.  With the #21 pick we selected Billy Price.  Glenn and & Price were both awful for the Bengals.
I think the Bills actually traded the #12 they received from Cincy to Tampa to move up and acquire Josh?   Did you guys also get Edmunds in the 1st Round that year too?  That is a lot of wheeling and dealing I will never see from my team.

Yes, the Bills had a total of 3 second round picks that year, one from the Mahomes trade, one from Sammy Watkins trade, plus their own.  They then used 2 of the second round picks plus their own 1st round #12 which only became #12 after the swap with the Bengals to move up to #7 overall and grabbed Allen.

They then used their last second rounder plus their own #22 pick to trade up to believe it was #16 to pick Edmunds.

• Like (+1) 1

On 11/8/2023 at 2:38 PM, BarleyNY said:

Yes, it was the Bears. Thank you both. 

That would be great if Bates has the talent to be a good starting center in the NFL.  But if he can’t even start for us now, not sure that will happen.  

A young guy that is a stud that could come in and man the pivot would be a godsend for the offense.  

• Agree 1

On 11/7/2023 at 6:38 PM, BuffaloBillyG said:

Will be interesting to see what they plan on doing with Rasul Douglas. I believe he's a 9M cap hit next year...with no guarantees. Maybe an extension lowers that number a fair amount...or if he doesn't do well the rest of the year we can walk at no cost.

They sounded like they like him a lot. Expect turnovers from him . 

5 minutes ago, Over 29 years of fanhood said:

They sounded like they like him a lot. Expect turnovers from him . 

From what I've seen he's a real ball hawk. Hoping he can be a difference maker out there. Will be tough tonight. Russ has actually protected the ball really well this year. But next week against Zach Wilson...well Zach doesn't protect it as well at times.

• Like (+1) 1

On 11/7/2023 at 3:43 PM, strive_for_five_guy said:

Right, but if we don’t have Bates, we still have to find someone and pay them to play Center.  Bates is at a pretty good price for what we’d have to pay a decent center from elsewhere, unless we find someone in the draft.  I don’t think we will want to re-sign Hyde bc of age and Poyer might be done too, but we will still need FS and SS replacements, so didn’t know if you had contemplated who that might be.

Bates will obviously replace Morse at a lower price tag. And we had to replace Hyde & Poyer anyway considering their age and diminishing contribution.  Maybe we can turn Benford into a SS?  We'll definitely be drafting safeties.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.