Bills vs Broncos-Monday Night Football

BuffaloBillyG

55 minutes ago, DapperCam said:

Glad we traded for Douglas, because these DBs can’t stay healthy.

We may legit need 2 new Safeties next season. That is going to be a big hole to fill.

I do think we’ll take 2 Safeties and a corner next year. 

Micah is a FA in 2024 with void years. I can’t see him being back. 

Poyer will be asked to take a pay cut, but isn’t a FA until 2025. Has a cap hit of $7.5M, dead cap of $2M.

Tre White is a hard one because of the money. He’ll be asked to restructure. 

Dane Jackson is a FA next year.

Benford will be in Year 3, same with Elam so ok from a contract standpoint. 

Douglas is here in 2024. 

So Douglas will be one starter, Taron Johnson will still be here, after that, the secondary is in shambles.

Really could use an Elam reclamation project to be successful. 

Just got too old and too expensive. 

Edited by Straight Hucklebuck
  • Agree 1
  • Thank you (+1) 3

9 minutes ago, Straight Hucklebuck said:

I do think we’ll take 2 Safeties and a corner next year. 

Micah is a FA in 2024 with void years. I can’t see him being back. 

Poyer will be asked to take a pay cut, but isn’t a FA until 2025. Has a cap hit of $7.5M, dead cap of $2M.

Tre White is a hard one because of the money. He’ll be asked to restructure. 

Dane Jackson is a FA next year.

Bernard will be in Year 3, same with Elam so ok from a contract standpoint. 

Douglas is here in 2024. 

So Douglas will be one starter, Taron Johnson will still be here, after that, the secondary is in shambles.

Really could use an Elam reclamation project to be successful. 

Just got too old and too expensive. 

Between Benford, Douglas and Johnson, and wild cards Tre & Elam, I don’t think our CB situation will be that bad heading into next season.  

Agree that we have some things to figure out at safety, though.  Hyde has likely reached the end of the line, and Poyer continues to lose a step.  I’m hopeful someone else on the team currently can fill one of the starter roles, although I haven’t been impressed with Rapp’s audition.  It would serve us well to find at least one new starting safety in next year’s draft.  

• Like (+1) 3

9 minutes ago, strive_for_five_guy said:

Between Benford, Douglas and Johnson, and wild cards Tre & Elam, I don’t think our CB situation will be that bad heading into next season.  

Agree that we have some things to figure out at safety, though.  Hyde has likely reached the end of the line, and Poyer continues to lose a step.  I’m hopeful someone else on the team currently can fill one of the starter roles, although I haven’t been impressed with Rapp’s audition.  It would serve us well to find at least one new starting safety in next year’s draft.  

I’m not as optimistic.

We have nothing at Safety behind Poyer and Hyde, and keeping them together next year is just asking for more injury.

I don’t ever want to see Hamlin again.

Rapp stinks. 

Situation is better at corner, but Benford isn’t a playmaker, and White is never going to be the same. So the continuity feels good, but you don’t get much speed or athletic ability out there. 

Also, Taron Johnson is just kind of assumed to be really good, but he’s been just alright this year. No length either. 

I’d expect heavy defensive investment next year. 

Phillips a FA

Lawson a FA

Epenesa a FA

Floyd a FA

Joseph a FA

No answer along side Bernard.

And again projected to be over the cap. 

Edited by Straight Hucklebuck

1 hour ago, Warriorspikes51 said:

This is a fine example of why I’ve started limiting my time on this site

Same here.  It’s really depressing for those that aren’t depressed about this team.  

I’m really looking forward to seeing how this team responds and evolves over the next 2 months.  

• Like (+1) 6
  • Agree 2
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 5

3 minutes ago, Straight Hucklebuck said:

I’m not as optimistic.

We have nothing at Safety behind Poyer and Hyde, and keeping them together next year is just asking for more injury.

I agree it’s not ideal, but didn’t Rapp start in the Dolphins game when Poyer was out? Defense was obviously a bit more talented then to cover him up, but I think he’ll be fine. He’s been getting on the field quite a bit lately in that 3 safety look.

Poyer and Hyde got old real fast. We all knew it was coming, but it’s a little jarring to see such a sharp drop off. 

• Agree 1

The one thing about Denver is they are going to run it until we stop it. This game is going to be very physical and if we aren’t ready to tackle, it’s going to get difficult. I can’t believe I even think this in my own mind but if Bernard can’t go, I think I want Klein. He might be slower and older but he’s a relative coach on the field and even in his physical state, still gives us more than Dodson. Dodson is useless at this point.  In a perfect world we’d stop wasting time and just live with 42/43 out there but if Bernard is out, I’d rather see Williams and Klein. At least those guys will be decisive and run downhill towards the ball. Something that can give us the opportunity to at least make plays to take the Ball away. Plus I feel good about Klein in run support 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Success said:

Douglas, Jackson & Johnson should be able to hold down the CB unit this week, as long as they can stay healthy in the game.  Our safety depth is pretty solid.

No excuses this week.  The offense should be able to score early & often, and even a banged-up D shouldn't have trouble with a team like Denver.  They're playing better, but still a few tiers below the Bills in terms of talent.

Just curious, have you watched the bills play the last 4 weeks? 😅

I'm still struggling to chalk this game up to an automatic win. I still can't believe this team lost to the Patriots and almost lost to the giants. You cannot have easier games handed to you. 

1 hour ago, Straight Hucklebuck said:

I’m not as optimistic.

Rapp stinks. 

Situation is better at corner, but Benford isn’t a playmaker, and White is never going to be the same. So the continuity feels good, but you don’t get much speed or athletic ability out there. 

Also, Taron Johnson is just kind of assumed to be really good, but he’s been just alright this year. No length either. 

Phillips a FA

Lawson a FA

Epenesa a FA

Floyd a FA

Joseph a FA

Does Rapp stink?

He started and went the whole way against Miami. After Miami’s second drive they were pretty much shut down.

• Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 2

1 hour ago, Straight Hucklebuck said:

I’m not as optimistic.

Rapp stinks. 

Phillips a FA

Lawson a FA

Epenesa a FA

Floyd a FA

Joseph a FA

What you’re describing is pretty much every team with a top QB salary in terms of free agents. If you looked at Most of not all of the teams with a top ten paid QB they are dealing with the same issues or will be VERY shortly 

1 hour ago, Comebackkid said:

Just seen Josh fined 10 grand for taunting.  Cinci player fined 5 grand for late hit injuring Hyde.  

Obviously the NFL realizes how much more serious taunting is over injuring another player. 

No other fine issued. 

Makes perfect sense. Hurting a player after the whistle fined 5k. Pointing at a player  fined 11k. Good to see the nfl has its priorities in order. 

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

55 minutes ago, Ya Digg? said:

What you’re describing is pretty much every team with a top QB salary in terms of free agents. If you looked at Most of not all of the teams with a top ten paid QB they are dealing with the same issues or will be VERY shortly 

Agree, going points. 

Beane and his staff must draft well. 

1 hour ago, Dr.Sack said:

I think the Bills totally dominate both lines of scrimmage hold Denver under 40 yards rushing, and run for over 200 yards. 

I expect Buffalo to win. That being said I would bet on the Bills giving up a 40+ yard run this week before I'd bet they give up less than 40 total... especially if Dodson starts.

27 minutes ago, BuffaloBillyG said:

I expect Buffalo to win. That being said I would bet on the Bills giving up a 40+ yard run this week before I'd bet they give up less than 40 total... especially if Dodson starts.

I think the Bills will load up the box, and with Joseph they will stuff the run. 

34 minutes ago, Dr.Sack said:

I think the Bills will load up the box, and with Joseph they will stuff the run. 

Agree, they will. The one thing Buffalo has had an issue with (even when Jones was in) is lining up a bit wrong and having a back with some explosion exploit not...such as the long Breece Hall run on opening night. Plus, when Joseph comes out then stand to get gashed. Denver has a back with some explosion in Jaleel McLaughlin. 

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.