Intentional Grounding??????

Einstein's Dog

16 hours ago, Einstein's Dog said:

Didn't see a thread on this.  How could they call that?   The ref purposefully called a terrible non-challengeable penalty.

It's one thing to miss/not throw a flag on something.  Like the tripping -even though it was on the person with the ball.  You can somewhat think they didn't see it or think from their vantage point it wasn't a penalty.

But Intentional Grounding - that really annoyed me.  Where did they see "imminent loss of yardage because of pressure".  The ref should never have made that call.  Josh wasn't throwing that ball because of pressure.  It was a terrible subjective call.

And with the broadcast you see the replay of the non-called tripping, followed up with the inexplicable bogus intentional grounding call was a double whammy.  The broadcasters saw the tripping and said a little something and kind of movedon/went silent.  Then the Intentional grounding and at least Collinsworth was like "what?".  Then the rules dork tried to make like it was definitely by the rules correct.  But the rule dork clearly left out the whole under duress element of call, dork.

It was very frustrating.

Don’t forget the facemask on Stef as he was running into the end zone trying to catch a pass.

19 hours ago, TheWei44 said:

I was at the game and we're lining up for a FG attempt and then after what seemed like several minutes, we march 10 yards back and punt it.  I was like WTF?!?!  Without the benefit of the broadcast, I had no idea what was going on.  But think about when intentional grounding is typically called - The QB blatantly chucks it into the ground with no one even remotely close while under duress.  This was NOT that!!  It was miscommunication b/w 17 and 13 (very obviously) and no duress.  Huge headscratcher!

Oh, so that's what happened.  I was there and confused like you.  

That play was obvious miscommunication between receiver and quarterback, and calling that intentional grounding is ridiculous.   There was nothing intentionally about that ball falling incomplete.  Its absurd to call that and not to call the 5-yard line drives thrown at the feet of screen receivers.  

That's pitiful. 

• Like (+1) 3
  • Thank you (+1) 1

20 hours ago, BringBackFergy said:

Yes. The refs have now created a dangerous precedent. If a WR has the option to cut the route short and the QB thinks he’s still running the route on the sideline, if the WR does, in fact, stop, the ball will obviously be far away from the WR to call this again. That happens 100x a season. Miscommunication. What an absolute chit call. Will never be duplicated again. (Just like “Give it to him”, Houston end zone fumble/fair catch, etc etc etc. ) 

The Houston fumble/TD call back is the only obviously wrong call worse than this.  

it was several minutes later and I feel like the same mysterious black jacketed NFL “not” officials must have ran in and called it again. 

• Like (+1) 1

19 hours ago, MPT said:

Non call on the Davis facemask cost us 4 points. Intentional grounding cost us 3 points. That makes it 24-24 (wouldn't go for 2 in that case) just based on those two calls alone.

That's not even counting the bogus RTP that resulted in the Bengals' second TD or the non call on the slide tackle. Those two together are at least one more score in point differential. 

The catch that was ruled not a catch but was actually a catch but was also still a bad challenge despite it actually being a catch. 

So yeah, all things being equal we win that game.

Yea- and that’s only asking for a FAIRLY called game.

what if the bad calls favored us?  Then what’s the score!?

21 hours ago, Livinginthepast said:

I said this last night. I've been watching the NFL for 44 years. 1000's of games and never seen such a ridiculous call. That's the kind of imaginary foul that gets people yapping about the NFL being fixed. They literally felt the need to invent a foul. The worst part of this for me was the geniuses in that officiating crew actually thought about it before throwing the flag. At that point, the eye in the sky should have discreetly told the head ref, "pick up the flag thats not even close to the rule". But no the imbeciles run with their imaginary foul. NFL a $Billion league with amateur quality officiating.

It might have been the eye in the sky making the call.  It's the best explanation as to why the call was made so late.

32 minutes ago, JESSEFEFFER said:

It might have been the eye in the sky making the call.  It's the best explanation as to why the call was made so late.

As insane as that sounds , you might be right. But with the benefit of a 2nd look showing no pressure on Allen why would anyone in the booth or NYC alert the on field officials? 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

2 hours ago, peterpan said:

The Houston fumble/TD call back is the only obviously wrong call worse than this.  

it was several minutes later and I feel like the same mysterious black jacketed NFL “not” officials must have ran in and called it again. 

Where is the sky judge ?  I thought they were supposed to fix things or only when Vegas calls.

3 hours ago, Livinginthepast said:

As insane as that sounds , you might be right. But with the benefit of a 2nd look showing no pressure on Allen why would anyone in the booth or NYC alert the on field officials? 

The Terry McCaulay Syndrome.  He only applied part of the criteria and missed the most important one.

• Thank you (+1) 1

21 hours ago, Shaw66 said:

Oh, so that's what happened.  I was there and confused like you.  

That play was obvious miscommunication between receiver and quarterback, and calling that intentional grounding is ridiculous.   There was nothing intentionally about that ball falling incomplete.  Its absurd to call that and not to call the 5-yard line drives thrown at the feet of screen receivers.  

That's pitiful. 

Normally I would suggest looking at a replay of the telecast but as a fellow Bills fan I would not do that.  It was infuriating.

My recollection of this farse goes something like this. 

First they showed the replay of the pass and commented that it looked the two weren't on the same page, Josh going long while Gabe broke it off.  I remember wishing Josh had just gone for the short pass.  They didn't even mention a flag.

Then they showed a replay of the earlier Kincaid play from a different angle and there was a clear tripping.  I hadn't noticed it during the play, Kincaid went down hard.  The replay of the trip made me say "whoa".  Collinsworth said something like "isn't that a trip?"  the other guy  "yes" and went silent, there was really nothing more to say.

Then they talked about the decision to go for the long FG as Bass was going out.

Then the penalty must have been assessed.  They showed the replay but concentrated on where the pass went.  Collinsworth questioned the call but the other guy said "by the definition of the rules" stuff - not even mentioning the "under duress" portion of the call.

Two days in and going over this still pisses me off.  While the Intentional grounding was more WTF-ish, the non-call on the trip was more game changing that would have been 15 + 1st with time remaining while clearly in FG range.

On 11/6/2023 at 9:27 PM, phypon said:

As others have said, refs have been brutal this year.  They really have influenced games in what seems to be more frequent this year than in years past, and not just for the Bills.  They are out of control.

The degeneration of reffing like Sunday night make me take stuff like this more seriously.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/nfl/article-12725189/NFL-fans-claim-know-play-Super-Bowl-LVIII-February-bizarre-conspiracy-theory-goes-viral-social-media.html

On 11/6/2023 at 10:09 PM, MPT said:

Non call on the Davis facemask cost us 4 points. Intentional grounding cost us 3 points. That makes it 24-24 (wouldn't go for 2 in that case) just based on those two calls alone.

That's not even counting the bogus RTP that resulted in the Bengals' second TD or the non call on the slide tackle. Those two together are at least one more score in point differential. 

The catch that was ruled not a catch but was actually a catch but was also still a bad challenge despite it actually being a catch. 

So yeah, all things being equal we win that game.

Same with the Pats game. Multiple calls on their final drive kept them in it. 

A lot of what we talk about on these forums is not what really happened out there. 

There were more than 1 call in that game that was questionable to say the least but that one was ridiculous !! The roughing the passer was another how can a 300 lb guy just change his bodies momentum not to mention he was in the action of tackling him when he threw the ball .

I mean i gat how you have  to stop the Defensive guys from pile driving a QB into the ground makes total sense but that wasn't what happened on that play the refs are getting a little to pussified when it comes to them remembering what type of game they are in charge of .

13 minutes ago, T master said:

There were more than 1 call in that game that was questionable to say the least but that one was ridiculous !! The roughing the passer was another how can a 300 lb guy just change his bodies momentum not to mention he was in the action of tackling him when he threw the ball .

I mean i gat how you have  to stop the Defensive guys from pile driving a QB into the ground makes total sense but that wasn't what happened on that play the refs are getting a little to pussified when it comes to them remembering what type of game they are in charge of .

I think it’s more about the directives the refs are getting from the league, than the refs themselves. The competition committee could step in at any point and change the nonsense we’ve been seeing on the field, especially with regards to roughing the passer, but Goodell is on record as saying the calls won’t be modified, even as questionable penalties continue. He said something like he’d rather err on the side of caution than bring more physicality back. It’s gross, but as consumers there’s nothing we can do… unless we stop watching. 

4 minutes ago, JayBaller10 said:

He said something like he’d rather err on the side of caution than bring more physicality back.

It’s gross, but as consumers there’s nothing we can do… unless we stop watching. 

And that will never happen where those that watch the NFL would stop, some like myself have in the past but most of us that did were raised in a different generation . 

The NFL is all about making money so they are going to guard those like Elite QB's from injury from other players but are hypocritical about going away from turf fields in some instances which are proven to promote more injury . But that's todays NFL . 

GO BILLS !! 

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.