NFL Scheduler Really Hated the Bills this Year

IronyAbounds

1 hour ago, bigK14094 said:

There has always been an anti Buffalo fan bias in the NFL...look back 30 years and see how mnay home games the locals got in Sept, Oct, Nov, Dec.  On average, it is biased to home games in cold weather.  Level would be 2 home in each, but it doesn't happen that way in my experience. 

Home games at home in cold weather were manna from heaven for those teams. We could take it and the cold weather teams really couldn't.

Kelly had no trouble playing in cold weather. Those were advantages.

Disagree. I don't think there's been much of an anti-Buffalo fan bias beyond the hate that successful teams (see the Pats) always get.

4 hours ago, Ya Digg? said:

I believe every team has to play at least 1 home game in Europe every 8 years or something like that. Jerry is powerful, but the other owners aren’t going to let him not have to give up a home game while everyone else does 

I see no evidence they have ever played a home game over there.  They did play the Jags in 2014 but that was a Jags home game.   What you said is what should happen.

Edited by Matt_In_NH

13 hours ago, BillsGuyOutWest said:

Exactly this post.

The NFL schedule, a nefarious process so devious, mysterious and hard to understand the Bills literally post it on their website at least a year in advance:

https://www.buffalobills.com/schedule/future-opponents

Seriously, if someone proclaims to be a fan for years and hasn’t figured this out yet then it’s embarrassing. 

I think some are conflating two perceptions.

Yes the schedule is basically predetermined due to divisions and prior season finishes. 

With that being a known, you can still see some unfavorable things amongst that schedule and be fully aware of how scheduling works. 

I didn't think anyone is complaining about the teams played...just how the schedule turned out. 

I don't see it as an indicator of Fandom or knowledge of how the game goes.

19 hours ago, Ya Digg? said:

I love these threads, especially during the season. First, to think the schedule makers sat around and said “how can we make this really tough on the Bills and only them-let’s get them the worst!”

Second, everyone knew who the Bills were playing against and where they were playing ever since last season ended. Don’t understand why there’s such shock about it.

Third, how come it’s always just complaining and no answers-what would have made this schedule any “easier?”

Even further out.  Opponents are known years in advance with the exceptions of the two in-conference opponents and one NFC opponent based upon the place is the finish.  

1 minute ago, Caesar said:

This is true, as a Bengals fan I usually complain about KC as much as possible.  They seem to catch every single "break"... be it true or not.  

The Chiefs very rarely play a prime time game on the road.  The NFL seems to love games at night in Arrowhead Stadium.  

• Like (+1) 1

Notice how the league often puts the Bills on the road at nigh time against teams with good quarterbacks or teams that are near the top of the league. It’s harder to play teams on the road at night because the other teams fans and players are more hyped up for the game.. Emotion plays a major factor in games. If you can get a small market team to lose an extra game or two it can mean the difference between home field advantage and getting to the Super Bowl. This year we play the Jets, Bengals and Chargers at night on the road, all good teams with good Quarterbacks. There is also a possibility that a fourth road game against Miami could be flexed to a night game. Add in the London “home game” against the Jaguars and this is how you stack the deck against a team and make the road as hard as possible.

Edited by Bruce200

23 hours ago, IronyAbounds said:

Lots of teams get tough schedules every year, some of which is dictated by the team's results from the prior year, so the Bills getting a tough schedule this year isn't surprising. However, it appears the Bills got an extra dose of difficult. Their most difficult non-divisional games are on the road (Dallas being the exception), a game overseas with the Bills being the guinea pig of Goodell's London scheduling "experiment," and a late bye. The one bright spot was the early season Miami game being in Buffalo rather than Miami like last year. I don't know how much human input there is in the schedule making, but it seems the Bills got the short end of the stick this year. 

Excuses. Home/Away follows a set formula. 

Supposedly, the home and away games are all assigned according to some formula, and it should balance out over the years.  I'm still waiting.  The London game was a clear and obvious screw job by the league.  The only consolation is I don't think the league can do that to the Bills again in the next couple of years.  Buffalo goes back to 8 home games next year, but I'll be shocked if the league deliberately robs Buffalo of their extra home game in 2025.

Bills used to get so screwed with schedule. I remember we used to be one of the top two teams being forced to play teams after they had a bye. Esp the Pats. That really doesn't happen any more so I think it is better now. Compared to how bad the Bills used to get screwed, I think our schedule is fair. Rarely are the bills put at a huge disadvantage multiple times a season they way we used to be.

On 11/3/2023 at 6:58 PM, Bills aPHILLYate said:

Nothing technically wrong. I'm just a fan of mid-season byes more than late or extremely early. 

It's a brutal game so to me 12 weeks with no breaks can present a lot of challenges.

Especially if you're a contender. 

I'm sure it builds some mental fortitude  and evens itself out in some regard though.

The Bills could have chosen to have their bye after the London trip. They declined to do so in hopes of a later bye week. 

4 hours ago, Paup 1995MVP said:

The Chiefs very rarely play a prime time game on the road.  The NFL seems to love games at night in Arrowhead Stadium.  

This is the part of the schedule that is definitely not determined far in advance. 

And the Bills get a night game, on the road, the day that the clocks get set back an hour, so by the start of the 4th quarter it’ll feel like it’s going on midnight. There might be some heavy eyelids on the visitor’s side tonight. Hell, I’ll need an afternoon nap to stay awake.

It doesn’t help that I had to get up at 2am to change all my clocks and watches.  

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.