Snap Counts-Week 8

BuffaloBillyG

Some very interesting things (at least to me).

1. Latavius Murray gets less snaps. He had been almost 50/50 the last few weeks. He's also been less effective as a runner to my eyes. Getting stuffed at the goal line and short yardage. Something to watch.

2. Shakir' snaps WAYYYYYY up. Harty way down. 

3. Neither Josh Norman or Andy Isabella recorded a snap on offense or defense.

4. Buffalo ran 69 offensive plays. Nice.

5. Rapp had his highest snap count of late as the Bills played more dime than normal. (Dodson was taken off field for these snaps.)

6. Dorian Williams with ZERO snaps. 

7. Von in on 40% of the snaps. Had a nice pressure on Mayfield late but couldn't close out the sack. 

8. David Edwards was essentially TE2 last night when needed. (Wasn't often)

• Like (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

Just now, SoCal Deek said:

Thanks! Interesting that Dorian Williams didn’t play? That’s not something I’d have known until seeing it here. 

I knew Dodson was starting seeing the majority of time...but they couldn't even work Williams in for a series or two? Now some of that may have had to do with all the dime looks...but odd to me.

• Agree 2

1 minute ago, Process said:

23 snaps is still too many for Murray. He looks old and slow. There has to be someone out there we could sign that would be more effective as a runner.

I didn't realize it until watching the Buffalo Plus post game, apparently when he came out on 2 different occasions he was pissed off on the side line.  I believe one of those times was when they ran the shotgun draw play at the 1.

23 snaps is still too many for Murray. He looks old and slow. There has to be someone out there we could sign that would be more effective as a runner.

The one thing he's still doing well is pass block/blitz pick up. That's also the one area Cook is seriously struggling. But even as a short yardage/goal line runner he hasn't been effective. That is why Harris had that role.

2 minutes ago, BuffaloBillyG said:

The one thing he's still doing well is pass block/blitz pick up. That's also the one area Cook is seriously struggling. But even as a short yardage/goal line runner he hasn't been effective. That is why Harris had that role.

Yea, hopefully Harris is ready to go in a couple of weeks.

• Agree 1

Yea, hopefully Harris is ready to go in a couple of weeks.

I'm actually wondering if the Bills end up circling back and reschedule a visit with Leonard Fournette if Harris isn't coming back soon. We need that guy to pick up the tough 1-2 yards and goal line work. And with Allen having a bad shoulder it shouldn't be him for the time being. 

Personally, I like the fact Shakir and Harty have flipped the snap counts. Would like to see a little more of Sherfield too as a bigger receiver has a chance to do more with the types of concepts and routes we run on a lot of plays. 

Concerned that Settle looks to be the guy going forward and that Williams didn’t see a single snap on defense. Looks to be no trial by fire this year for him. 

I do find it funny in the post “lots of 11 personnel”… we only had one TE dressed for the game 🤓 

• Agree 1

14 minutes ago, BearNorth said:

I notice that Rapp played a lot.  Wondering with the Bengals trio we are facing if we will see a lot more dime, or do we have to stick with 2 LB's because of Mixon.

Mixon has been largely ineffective so far this year. He's at 3.8 YPC. I think that has some to do with the OL and some to do with him aging.

I wouldn't doubt we see that dime look a bit more against Cincy, however it's not uncommon for a guy like Mixon to hit his straide against the Bills. We always seem to be the "get right" for a struggling star😂

• Agree 1

2 minutes ago, BBFL said:

Personally, I like the fact Shakir and Harty have flipped the snap counts. Would like to see a little more of Sherfield too as a bigger receiver has a chance to do more with the types of concepts and routes we run on a lot of plays. 

Concerned that Settle looks to be the guy going forward and that Williams didn’t see a single snap on defense. Looks to be no trial by fire this year for him. 

I do find it funny in the post “lots of 11 personnel”… we only had one TE dressed for the game 🤓 

I'll say this much. Settle didn't impress yet again.

However even though I e been down on him so far this year...Poona Ford actually seemed to play pretty well last night.

• Like (+1) 1

6 minutes ago, Bleeding Bills Blue said:

I'd like to see Harty plays in the red zone a bit. Sudden quickness there is so tough to defend in space and u usually only need a couple yards.

I think they tried to get him the ball in a play similar to the TD vs Giants in the redzone  last night but it wasn't there  

Just now, Starr Almighty said:

I think they tried to get him the ball in a play similar to the TD vs Giants in the redzone  last night but it wasn't there  

Yeah, I like that motion though. It gives u a quick pitch option and a race to the edge, u can also screw up some of the run fits, generally distract them.  Kids got some serious wiggle too.

10 minutes ago, Charles Romes said:

Epenesa at 38 percent is absurd. Are they even going to try to re-sign him. What a waste. 

Not really...they rotate their D-Line pretty regularly.  He is a backup, so he is getting less snaps.  He actually had 31%, Ford had 38% of snaps. AJE has been fairly productive since the start of 2022 tho...he has 11.5 sacks in that timeframe.

I question if people on this board actually forget about games the minute a new one starts because I am not sure how you can be complaining about a guy playing part time with 11.5 sacks, a bunch of pass bat downs and an INT returned for a TD in part time duty.

Edited by Big Turk
  • Haha (+1) 1

On 10/27/2023 at 10:22 AM, Mango said:

One thing flying under the radar are Diggs snaps. He is normally in on about 85% and not crazy for him to get down under 80%. 99% is a big jump.

Diggs seems to control when he is on field pulling himself out when he needs a break but I think that is because he is double covered a lot.

He also is not used on pass blocking to reduce wear on him.

In game against Bucs plan was to distribute it more and it worked well so he did not need to go out so much.

On 10/27/2023 at 9:46 AM, BuffaloBillyG said:

I'm actually wondering if the Bills end up circling back and reschedule a visit with Leonard Fournette if Harris isn't coming back soon. We need that guy to pick up the tough 1-2 yards and goal line work. And with Allen having a bad shoulder it shouldn't be him for the time being. 

Captain Foresight you are correct.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

On 10/27/2023 at 10:24 AM, boyst said:

dorian williams not one snap. i'm ok with this.

What he did show when he got his chance was nice speed, poor tackling, and over running plays or making nimerous poor decisions. Erratic was the single word that comes to mind. Quite an athlete but very raw....

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.