NFL referees (officials) for Week 8 announced: Tampa Bay at Buffalo: Scott Novak

chongli

NFL Week 8 Capsules:

https://nflcommunications.com/Documents/2023 Football Information/Capsules/Week 8 Capsules.pdf

[first page]

novak.jpeg

Position No. Name Exp. 2022 Crew College Occupation
R 1 Scott Novak 10 n/a Phoenix Sales Manager
U 131 Mark Pellis 10 Torbert Allegheny Financial Advisor
DJ 112 Brian Sakowski Rookie n/a Gannon Engineer
LJ 75 Mark Stewart 6 Blake Pittsburgh State Rancher
FJ 23 Tra Boger 2 same Tulane Assistant Principal
SJ 118 Dabid Meslow 13 same Augsburg College Sales Executive
BJ 111 TerrenceMiles 16 same Arizona State Quality Control Manager
RO n/a Matt Sumstine 6 same Phoenix Real Estate
RA n/a Tim England 2 same [unknown] [unknown]

Number change: Tra Boeger: 2 to 25.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Yikes!!! Novak called Buffalo at Tampa Bay last time:

https://www.golfdigest.com/story/jaelan-phillips-justin-herbet-roughing-the-passer-los-angeles-chargers-miami-dolphins/amp

"This video of Jaelan Phillips getting flagged for the worst roughing-the-passer call in NFL history might give you an aneurysm"

Edited by chongli

I'm a ref complainer, but I'll stand by that Bucs game being the worst and most lopsided officiating against the Bills in the McD era. 

They were bad all night but the end of that game was really something. The refs let the Bucs hogtie Diggs on our 3rd down pass to the end zone at the end of regulation with no call. Only to follow that up in OT by calling DPI on Wallace when Brady underthrew Evans by 5 yards. Evans bear hugged Wallace so he couldn't turn around and the call goes against Wallace. 

• Like (+1) 1

5 hours ago, DabillsDaBillsDaBills said:

I'm a ref complainer, but I'll stand by that Bucs game being the worst and most lopsided officiating against the Bills in the McD era. 

They were bad all night but the end of that game was really something. The refs let the Bucs hogtie Diggs on our 3rd down pass to the end zone at the end of regulation with no call. Only to follow that up in OT by calling DPI on Wallace when Brady underthrew Evans by 5 yards. Evans bear hugged Wallace so he couldn't turn around and the call goes against Wallace. 

My god that game was awful. Diggs shirt being grabbed and pulled behind him as if it was princess Diana’s wedding gown and no flag.

• Like (+1) 1

On 10/24/2023 at 10:21 PM, BillsfaninCT said:

https://www.nflpenalties.com/all-referees.php?view=total&year=2023

middle of the pack for influencing the game, look at total penalties....

Sometimes it's the penalties that aren't called that influence the game more.  As well, of course, as when they're called.

Clete Blakeman (Sunday's ref) -- his crew calls fewer penalties per game than Novak's.  How'd that work out for us?

• Like (+1) 1

Trying to figure out how Diggs didn't draw a flag on 2 back-to-back plays in the 3rd quarter.  He was definitely contacted >5 yards downfield (with Allen in the pocket) on the first play, and then grabbed and jostled by Davis on the next.

I was fine with the call on Taron Johnson, but those two plays should have drawn flags as well.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.