If the Bills Don’t Make it to the AFCCG, Should McDermott Be Fired?

Gugny

If the Bills Don’t Make it to the AFCCG, Should McDermott Be Fired?  

378 members have voted

1. 1. If the Bills Don’t Make it to the AFCCG, Should McDermott Be Fired?

On 10/17/2023 at 11:57 PM, Mr. Wonderful said:

This team under Beane and McDermott has had tremendous success.  With Milano and White on IR no shame in losing to Mahomes, Tua, Burrow, or whoever knocks us out of the playoffs.  People seem to forget the misery under Donahoe,  Levy, Whaley, Nix, and Brandon and coaching stiffs Williams, Mularkey, Gailey, Jauron and Ryan.  Geez!!!!!   :wallbash:

All those coaches didn't have josh allen and stefon diggs...it totally blows my mind how McDermott get all this crazy credit for turning the franchise around when it's been mainly allen and diggs

• Awesome! (+1) 1

7 hours ago, Kirby Jackson said:

Yes, of course!! That is literally my EXACT point. He’s had 4 teams that have been Super Bow caliber. He is 0-4. They have consistently fallen short at the most important times. In doing so, they are wasting valuable years of Allen’s prime. 

I would LOVE to be wrong but he has had enough chances. If he fails AGAIN, why should he get another year. 5 straight failures isn’t enough? How many chances should he get? 

The guy is a successful head coach. You don't get to the Super Bowl without getting to the playoffs first. Who do you replace him with? So, you have seen enough even if he won a Super Bowl with us in the next 2 years? Lol ok. I honestly think you will be highly disappointed when his replacement does no better

Edited by Buffalo03
  • Disagree 1

7 hours ago, Buffalo03 said:

The guy is a successful head coach. You don't get to the Super Bowl without getting to the playoffs first. Who do you replace him with? So, you have seen enough even if he won a Super Bowl with us in the next 2 years? Lol ok. I honestly think you will be highly disappointed when his replacement does no better

I’ve already listed numerous coaches who perennially got to the playoffs and won championships when they were replaced. Hundreds of guys could coach Josh Allen and company to the playoffs!! I’d replace him with Ben Johnson I think. 

You are TOTALLY missing the point if you think that I’d be disappointed with Super Bowl wins, lol. My point is the fact that he HASN’T gotten to the Super Bowl with this talent is why he should be gone. If he doesn’t get there this year, I don’t want him to get to try again next year. 

Let me ask it differently again. If the Bills lose in the Divisional again this year and the 3 years after, will you be happy? Should McDermott still be the guy in that case? I mean, they will have won a playoff game each year. What is your standard for this team?  

15 hours ago, GunnerBill said:

I 100% disagree on 2019. That team and that version of Josh Allen was NOT championship calibre.

As for how many I don't have a number. I can't live in this predicting future failure world. Ask me what I think after this season and I will tell you. Ask me again after next season (cos regardless what we think he is here next season) and I will tell you. I don't judge on what I predict the future to be. I judge in the present. 

So in summation, you don’t know if/when you’ll be done with him but to this point he’s fine? 

To be clear, I’m not saying that he WILL be gone with another playoff failure. I’m saying that he SHOULD be in that case.

• Agree 1

On 10/18/2023 at 1:09 AM, chongli said:

Another great take by Cowherd.  Every offseason I advocate for adding more offensive firepower to this team and every year I'm disappointed.  Even the fans fall into the trap.  

The Bengals drafted Tee Higgins, turned right around the following year and drafted Jamar Chase.  There is a ZERO percent chance Brandon Beane would have done the same and that's a problem. 

Watch this year as people will try and convince the masses that the Bills need to take the 3rd best safety in the draft over a playmaker on offense.  

This team should have both DK Metcalf and Breece Hall on the roster right now.  Instead Beane took Cody Ford and Kaiir Elam.  

Plugging holes instead of taking the BPA.  The problem here doesn't lay solely with McDermott.  

Edited by Chicken Boo
  • Like (+1) 2

2 hours ago, Kirby Jackson said:

So in summation, you don’t know if/when you’ll be done with him but to this point he’s fine? 

To be clear, I’m not saying that he WILL be gone with another playoff failure. I’m saying that he SHOULD be in that case.

Does the fact we have lost 3 of our top 5 defensive players, and the fourth is still rusty off an ACL change anything for you?

And does this “should make a change” comment apply to Beane as well or just McD?

4 minutes ago, FireChans said:

Does the fact we have lost 3 of our top 5 defensive players, and the fourth is still rusty off an ACL change anything for you?

And does this “should make a change” comment apply to Beane as well or just McD?

It gives a reason for sure. His defense looked amazing when healthy. It wouldn’t change things for me (especially if Milano and Jones are back). 

Beane is fine imo. I wish that he added a dependable 2. Overall though, he has built, what I believe to be, a championship roster.

• Disagree 1
  • Agree 1

1 hour ago, Kirby Jackson said:

It gives a reason for sure. His defense looked amazing when healthy. It wouldn’t change things for me (especially if Milano and Jones are back). 

Beane is fine imo. I wish that he added a dependable 2. Overall though, he has built, what I believe to be, a championship roster.

I guess my contention is that we have playoff failures where we can point to coaching. We also have some regular season failures we can point to coaching as well that may have cost us home field or better seeding.

In addition, there are also games where we can point to a lack of a good receiving GROUP that also cost us as above.

Offensively, I don’t blame McD much for our woes, because it’s known he doesn’t touch much there. Now does the head coach share some blame by virtue of being the head coach? Of course.

It’s my contention though that McD isn’t a good enough coach, defensive or otherwise to overcome poor offensive coaching and/or a lack of offensive talent. And it’s a reality of the NFL in todays era where you can’t field an elite defense year after year while paying an elite QB. 

So my estimation is

1. Fix offensive coaching. 

2. Fix offensive talent.

and if you can’t do 1 and 2, fire McD and Beane. JMO

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, FireChans said:

I guess my contention is that we have playoff failures where we can point to coaching. We also have some regular season failures we can point to coaching as well that may have cost us home field or better seeding.

In addition, there are also games where we can point to a lack of a good receiving GROUP that also cost us as above.

Offensively, I don’t blame McD much for our woes, because it’s known he doesn’t touch much there. Now does the head coach share some blame by virtue of being the head coach? Of course.

It’s my contention though that McD isn’t a good enough coach, defensive or otherwise to overcome poor offensive coaching and/or a lack of offensive talent. And it’s a reality of the NFL in todays era where you can’t field an elite defense year after year while paying an elite QB. 

So my estimation is

1. Fix offensive coaching. 

2. Fix offensive talent.

and if you can’t do 1 and 2, fire McD and Beane. JMO

I don't know what you'd consider good offensive coaching but they've already gone through 3 different OCs under McDermott so I doubt another one would produce dramatically different results

I think you have to conclude if you want better 'offensive coaching' it starts at the top

• Agree 1

7 minutes ago, GoBills808 said:

I don't know what you'd consider good offensive coaching but they've already gone through 3 different OCs under McDermott so I doubt another one would produce dramatically different results

I think you have to conclude if you want better 'offensive coaching' it starts at the top

I think Daboll was pretty good. I think Dorsey is a step down and is holding us back.

But as a corollary, I think our offense isn’t talented enough. And that falls on McD/Beane in FA/drafts most of all.

• Agree 1

2 minutes ago, FireChans said:

I think Daboll was pretty good. I think Dorsey is a step down and is holding us back.

But as a corollary, I think our offense isn’t talented enough. And that falls on McD/Beane in FA/drafts most of all.

For me Dorsey>Daboll but I'm in general agreement that they just don't prioritize getting guys on offense enough... that's a big limiting factor overall

7 hours ago, Chicken Boo said:

I voted no because he won't be. 

The Bills could have an ugly 1st round exit and McDermott still wouldn't be fired.  

I doubt that it would ever be a fireable criteria for the Pegulas.

Their goal is to have a winning team and a profitable team. Beane and McD produce that year after year.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.