NYT Playoff Simulator

TSNBDSC

Ran the sim a couple of times. 

Obviously last game of the season at Fish is HUGE, as that would give us a season sweep.

@Chiefs will probably decide the AFC #1 seed as long as we sweep Miami.

JAX playing in such a lousy division and with a W over us could be a problem.

• Like (+1) 1

7 hours ago, Reks Ryan said:

Interesting that this one only gives the Bills a 54% chance to make the playoffs.  And shows both the Colts & Steelers w higher probability to get in.

And ranks the fish ahead of us. A team we beat by 4 TD's and is also missing several key players due to injury/on injured reserve.

4 minutes ago, BearNorth said:

And ranks the fish ahead of us. A team we beat by 4 TD's and is also missing several key players due to injury/on injured reserve.

The Fins thing is just a math thing, because they are a game ahead of us in the win column and likely have an easier schedule due to finishing lower than us last year 

That said I don't think it's a coin flip that the 2nd best qb in the NFL makes the playoffs sitting at 3-2 with 7 very winnable games in a row 

• Like (+1) 1

8 hours ago, Reks Ryan said:

Interesting that this one only gives the Bills a 54% chance to make the playoffs.  And shows both the Colts & Steelers w higher probability to get in.

I may be wrong about this but I think the 54% is the probability of winning the first round (every % in the table is the probability of winning in said round).  So our chances of making the playoffs would be higher than that.

The real question isn't whether the Bills make the playoffs--Allen would have to be out for the season for that to happen--but whether they win the division.  If they win the division and get a bye, their SB chances rise by a lot.

One near-certainty: They won't have top seed. Between the Chief's soft schedule, the extreme bias of the refs in their favor (it's no longer debatable), and eyebrow-raising "coincidences" (e.g., the Broncos DB declining to tackle Mahomes), the Chief WILL be awarded the top seed, barring a season-ending injury to Mahomes. 

Not fair, but at least they have a chance to beat the Chiefs at that point. 

https://www.si.com/nfl/2023/10/13/broncos-damarri-mathis-patrick-mahomes-missed-tackle-video

11 minutes ago, TheWei44 said:

I may be wrong about this but I think the 54% is the probability of winning the first round (every % in the table is the probability of winning in said round).  So our chances of making the playoffs would be higher than that.

You are wrong. The last column that indicates the 54% is titled "No Playoffs".

29 minutes ago, Chaos said:

These projections seem absurd.  Chiefs at 85% is incredibly low. 

I believe their projections are based upon probabilities and W-L records of the season so far.  As the season progresses, you'll see stronger teams' percentages increase as they garner wins.

Edited by Ridgewaycynic2013

43 minutes ago, arcane said:

The Fins thing is just a math thing, because they are a game ahead of us in the win column and likely have an easier schedule due to finishing lower than us last year 

That said I don't think it's a coin flip that the 2nd best qb in the NFL makes the playoffs sitting at 3-2 with 7 very winnable games in a row 

Interestingly the schedules are remarkably even the rest of the way.  Miami's future opponents are w30-l31, Bills are w30-l30.  [bye weeks cause the difference].

• Like (+1) 1

12 hours ago, BearNorth said:

Obviously last game of the season at Fish is HUGE, as that would give us a season sweep.

My opinion is anyone but the chiefs as number 1 seed in cool with

15 hours ago, BearNorth said:

I dunno… I can easily see us beating KC but then dropping a couple we “should” win, while KC continues their dominance over the dregs of the NFL.

3 hours ago, TheWei44 said:

It's not showing any % about performance in the playoffs, only the seeding entering the playoffs.

Each place is the probabiltiy for each seed.  Ex. it shows the Bills with 6% chance to get the 1 seed, and 10% chance to get the 5 seed.   It has the Dolphins 57% chance to wind the divison and the Bills only a 29% chance.     

The Chiefs in the west right now is nearly identical to the Patriots in the East 15-20 Yeats ago. Every team in the division sucks, though the Chargers aren't horrible like us, the Jets and Dolphins were and they basically get 6 free wins every year. Literally like the exact same thing

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.