Silver linings with the Injuries?

BuffaloBaumer

11 minutes ago, Mr. WEO said:

That really doesn't matter regarding guy question. They know what they know about this kid. I'm sure they are doing what they can--why would anyone believe otherwise?  

But  I'm pretty sure Joe Marino doesn't know what is "correctable" and what isn't for Elam.  How could he possibly know?  

Because he watches film and has a lot of scouting experience and saw things that he can improve on.

I know he is more qualified than me to know. I don't watch film. Most of what Marino says makes sense to me. If you don't like what he has to say, that's your choice.  But I trust him way more than I trust you.

2 hours ago, Warriorspikes51 said:

Disgaree. Hyde already has 2 INT's and is getting back to himself

Poyer does look a bit slow, I think he has a deep bruise in his knee.  Hopefully he gets better 

Micah is playing better and Poyer will be the first safety gone. But Micah (as much as I love Hyde) is not too far behind Jordan.  Aside from RT/WR,  DB's will be emphasized next year come draft time.

12 minutes ago, LABILLBACKER said:

Micah is playing better and Poyer will be the first safety gone. But Micah (as much as I love Hyde) is not too far behind Jordan.  Aside from RT/WR,  DB's will be emphasized next year come draft time.

Exactly.

Next year will likely see 3 new starters in the secondary and some "new depth" guys.  

Both safeties, cut Tre/sign a zone Cb2 to likely pair with Benford.  Dane, Poyer, Micah, 1 and done for Rapp.  Hamlin, Lewis, Neal will also be on the bubble.  Bonus will be Elam actually developing this year, and growing into a starter role

I see this as our "DL" remake a few years back.  Likely a round 1 WR, then heavy defense/secondary focus.  I'm ok having 2 "solid/not great" corners, with fast / very good safeties.  I think we try to get younger/faster at that spot in particular

54 minutes ago, MJS said:

Because he watches film and has a lot of scouting experience and saw things that he can improve on.

I know he is more qualified than me to know. I don't watch film. Most of what Marino says makes sense to me. If you don't like what he has to say, that's your choice.  But I trust him way more than I trust you.

I was simply asking a question ( a simple one)--I didn't say I knew anything about Elam's ability to improve.  

But watching a guy on a game film is nothing like seeing how he takes instruction, how he executes in practice, how he changes his play based on suggested corrective actions by the coaching staff.  The staff sees that every day---and it's year 2.   I'm pretty sure they have been working with Elam for months--yet they still didn't feel he was ready all season until injuries forced him onto the active roster.  The results were what they were.

Watching the game, Joe knows what's wrong and how to fix Elam---something the staff hasn't figured out since camp opened (obviously).

I think that's a bit presumptuous.  Joe should ring up McD and the fellas and tell them how to turn this kid around.  Simple!

1 hour ago, Joe Ferguson said:

Not worried about our D. We all it's going to stink. As long as Josh Allen is still playing, we have a shot to win it all. Mahomes won two Super Bowls with a putrid defense. So let our opponents score as much as they can but in the end the Bills will score more.

Our D isn't going to stink.  At all.  It's still a top 10 D at minimum (I actually think they'll be closer to top 5 by the end of the season).

8 hours ago, Special K said:

Elam was inactive weeks 1-4 for a reason......his performance in week 5 was a visual representation of that reason.

There’s no reason to think the D can’t be serviceable, but the chances of stopping the top offenses without Milano, Jones, White are not good.

We Did stop a very good O for most of the game. The O didn’t keep their end of the bargain. Our O is mentally weak. Not the trait of a champion. Hopefully they toughen up. 

• Haha (+1) 1

If we're looking for silver linings, all I can say is that for both Milano and Jones, it's very likely that their injuries will not affect their performance over the long term. For both tibial plateau and pectoral tear injuries, there doesn't appear to be any long-term impact on performance and both should be able to return to their pre-injury form. That is something that I really worried about.

In case you haven't seen the excellent articles by Banged Up Bills that cover both injuries, here they are:

Examining Buffalo Bills Matt Milano’s Right Knee Injury

Analyzing Buffalo Bills DaQuan Jones’s Pectoral Injury

• Agree 1

4 hours ago, Mr. WEO said:

I was simply asking a question ( a simple one)--I didn't say I knew anything about Elam's ability to improve.  

But watching a guy on a game film is nothing like seeing how he takes instruction, how he executes in practice, how he changes his play based on suggested corrective actions by the coaching staff.  The staff sees that every day---and it's year 2.   I'm pretty sure they have been working with Elam for months--yet they still didn't feel he was ready all season until injuries forced him onto the active roster.  The results were what they were.

Watching the game, Joe knows what's wrong and how to fix Elam---something the staff hasn't figured out since camp opened (obviously).

I think that's a bit presumptuous.  Joe should ring up McD and the fellas and tell them how to turn this kid around.  Simple!

He simply remarked about what he saw on film. Go listen. He said that Elam was hesitant at times in his technique, that he seemed to lack confidence (understandable given his situation), that he turned his body too long before squaring against the receiver, etc. He gave some very specific feedback. It sounds to me like it is mainly technique and confidence that he needs to work on.

Marino didn't say he had all the answers, just that the problems he saw look fixable. Maybe Elam will never be able to fix them. Maybe he will never be able to play proper technique without hesitation. Maybe he'll never get his confidence back. That's not really the point. The point is the stuff he needs to work on require working on technique and gaining confidence, which are things that any player could feasibly work on to improve. Elam might not be able to because some kind of mental block. Who knows?

8 hours ago, MJS said:

He simply remarked about what he saw on film. Go listen. He said that Elam was hesitant at times in his technique, that he seemed to lack confidence (understandable given his situation), that he turned his body too long before squaring against the receiver, etc. He gave some very specific feedback. It sounds to me like it is mainly technique and confidence that he needs to work on.

Marino didn't say he had all the answers, just that the problems he saw look fixable. Maybe Elam will never be able to fix them. Maybe he will never be able to play proper technique without hesitation. Maybe he'll never get his confidence back. That's not really the point. The point is the stuff he needs to work on require working on technique and gaining confidence, which are things that any player could feasibly work on to improve. Elam might not be able to because some kind of mental block. Who knows?

Do you think Marino thinks the staff hasn't long ago already identified Elam's weaknesses and have been trying to correct them all season?  Do you think that as well?

That essentially was my question.  

1 hour ago, Mr. WEO said:

Do you think Marino thinks the staff hasn't long ago already identified Elam's weaknesses and have been trying to correct them all season?  Do you think that as well?

That essentially was my question.  

I don't think Marino was critiquing the coaching staff or Elam's ability to improve. I think he was remarking specifically on what he saw to player doing, regardless of who it was, and said those specific things are very possible to be fixed.

• Like (+1) 1

20 hours ago, Limeaid said:

Erik Flowers was selected in the first round (26th overall) of the 2000 NFL Draft.

\

Funny that in previous years Hyde and Poyer were the ones who was masking other players' performance previous years.

Players get old sadly. Injuries and past 30 are real things. You lose a half step, your career changes.

21 hours ago, Process said:

Hyde and Poyer are slow and washed up. That gets masked with a dominant front 7. I'm not sure we have that anymore.

And we have ZERO CB depth. As of right now we are one injury away (Benford) from having Micah Hyde covering a teams best WR on the most critical play of the game. 

Hyde has been playing well. Poyer might be washed up, though.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.