Kaiir Elam is a liability any time he is on the field

Einstein

Can someone explain why Dane wasn't on Ridley??? Dane was on the active roster making him higher in the depth chart...so why put Elam on the #one.  Zay Jones seems like a simpler task, who also got banged up during the game. Not seeing how you don't activate someone all year, then when you have to you have him one on one with that kind of receiver. 

• Like (+1) 2

2 minutes ago, Pirate Angel said:

Can someone explain why Dane wasn't on Ridley??? Dane was on the active roster making him higher in the depth chart...so why put Elam on the #one.  Zay Jones seems like a simpler task, who also got banged up during the game. Not seeing how you don't activate someone all year, then when you have to you have him one on one with that kind of receiver. 

No one can. I’ve mentioned it already. 

• Like (+1) 1

17 minutes ago, Eastport bills said:

Here’s the question, who is coaching this man?Does he improve from one game to another? Does he improve technique from one season to another? He’s got talent or they wouldn’t have picked him 1st round.

All coaches at all levels teach the same drills and techniques with few exceptions. 

Coaches are only as good as the players they are coaching. A wise older coach told me it’s amazing how great of coaches we are to everyone when we are winning championships. It’s also equally amazing how bad of coaches we become when we aren’t. We teach the same stuff year after year the only thing that changes is the ability of the player 

35 minutes ago, gonzo1105 said:

All coaches at all levels teach the same drills and techniques with few exceptions. 

Coaches are only as good as the players they are coaching. A wise older coach told me it’s amazing how great of coaches we are to everyone when we are winning championships. It’s also equally amazing how bad of coaches we become when we aren’t. We teach the same stuff year after year the only thing that changes is the ability of the player 

So are you saying Elam should be a healthy scratch or just live with him getting lit up like a Christmas tree. It seems like he’s a better option than Josh Norman, who was good with Washington, 10 years ago.

2 minutes ago, Eastport bills said:

So are you saying Elam should be a healthy scratch or just live with him getting lit up like a Christmas tree. It seems like he’s a better option than Josh Norman, who was good with Washington, 10 years ago.

It’s a hard choice my opinion is trade him while he still has some value but with the CB injuries you can’t really do that now. If they have no faith in him then you can’t play him. I guess you could hope the light turns on but this is a team trying to win a SB this year. 

I’d probably make a call to Carolina(I know, I know) for Donte Jackson to see if he’s available or make a minor trade for CB depth behind Benford and Jackson so Elam doesn’t have to be relied upon 

59 minutes ago, Miyagi-Do Karate said:

It was rough.  I tried to watch him as much as I could, hoping for the best - and it just looked like he was really struggling in coverage the whole day.

We'll have to see how it goes.  I want to give some benefit of the doubt to his 1st big game being the London game, and jet lag was an issue for the whole team (imo).  From what I could tell, he played a lot better when he had his chances last year.  

• Like (+1) 2

1 hour ago, Pirate Angel said:

I may be Mis-remembering, and I haven’t rewatched the game.  I thought Dane was getting picked on early.  They may have moved Elam over hoping he would do better vs Ridley.  Unfortunately he didn’t. 

• Like (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, gonzo1105 said:

It’s a hard choice my opinion is trade him while he still has some value but with the CB injuries you can’t really do that now. If they have no faith in him then you can’t play him. I guess you could hope the light turns on but this is a team trying to win a SB this year. 

I’d probably make a call to Carolina(I know, I know) for Donte Jackson to see if he’s available or make a minor trade for CB depth behind Benford and Jackson so Elam doesn’t have to be relied upon 

Nice post, the responsibility for replacing starters is in the GMs per view. Why do I see KC and SF making bold moves when they lose starters.? Give me one in season acquisition Beane has made that made a difference. He brings in guys like Beasley or Norman who comes cheap because they’re sitting around unsigned.

supposedly last year his numbers were good....I know it looks bad but we dont have a lot of choice other than see how this plays out.  You cannot waive him due to cap ramifications.   If he truly is just a dead bust I guess you have to wait for him to have a hang nail and IR him.

21 minutes ago, gonzo1105 said:

Here are the cap results of a post 6/1 trade...they would save on the cap this year which could free up money for the new guy, whoever that is...the trick is finding someone to take him.

2023 Dead Cap: $1,784,2382024 Dead Cap: $3,568,4762023 Cap Savings: $1,327,310

Source

https://www.spotrac.com/nfl/buffalo-bills/kaiir-elam-76877/#:~:text=Kaiir Elam signed a 4,dead cap value of %2411%2C201%2C572.

Edited by Matt_In_NH

On 10/9/2023 at 8:02 AM, Big Turk said:

Not a great look that the  Bills put Ja'Marcus Ingram in there instead of Elam late in the game and McD when asked if Elam was hurt said "no, we just wanted to get a look a t some other players."  

Which in coach speak says "He was sucking so bad that we would rather have a UFA practice squad player in there instead of our 1st round pick from last year."

Ingram promptly missed an easy tackle in the  hole on Etienne which allowed him to score on that 35 yard run.

Elam struggled in man coverage. So much so they moved him to the field for a series before they pulled him. He actually looked at his best when playing press 2. The tapes not as bad as the stat-line. I'd have to go back to the film and track the stats, but I'm almost positive that stat-line is crediting him with at least one reception that wasn't his fault.

Remember when the Bills defense looked really good for the first 5 or 6 weeks of last season?  

That was pretty much the same defense we will see on Sunday, minus Matt Milano and Daquan, but plus Leonard Floyd, plus Hyde/Poyer (whether you're a fan of the 2023 versions or not), an improved Epenesa, Ed Oliver playing his best ball and an upgrade at LB from Edmunds to Bernard (surprise!).

And Kaiir Elam made a few appearances and didn't look bad at all when he did.  So maybe, as far as Elam goes, look at where he succeeded last year and try to build on that?

Tre White coming back to form was really just a bonus because we had been living without him.  Dane Jackson & Benford were the starters for the most part, and heck, Benford ended up getting hurt too.

Ya know, I actually made myself feel a little bit better coming to this realization.

On 10/9/2023 at 6:46 PM, Pirate Angel said:

Most cornerbacks are left or right CB... They don't have the ability to move all over the field... Tre was our only corner who would move from the left to right

The bills keep their corners on static positions...  so the matchup is based 

95% of corners don't follow people around the field... There's like six corners who follow people 

Diggs is routinely followed by the other team's number two because we put him on the opposite side of the field... it's scheming 

Edited by Buffalo716

On 10/9/2023 at 3:22 PM, BananaB said:

I just keep scratching my head why Jackson wasn’t on Ridley. No excuses for Elams play but this coaching staff obviously has more trust in Jackson, why did he get the easier assignment.

So as to insulate Jackson from criticism. Of course Elam is the fall guy. 

On 10/9/2023 at 6:22 PM, BananaB said:

I just keep scratching my head why Jackson wasn’t on Ridley. No excuses for Elams play but this coaching staff obviously has more trust in Jackson, why did he get the easier assignment.

Because he was getting beat too. Why are people killing Elam's play? He hasn't played ANY meaningful football since the preseason. I think you will see a better result with more meaningful reps. I don't expect a 3pt shooter who never plays to come off the bench and shoot 10 for 10.

Edited by Solomon Grundy

On 10/8/2023 at 1:04 PM, Rc2catch said:

I never claimed anything. I said I didn’t view it that way. 
But please continue on your crusade. I’ll stay out of it. 

It’s that dizzying intellect, and heights most only dream of attaining…, 

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.