Israel and the Slaughter in Gaza

1 hour ago, Doc said:

My son works for a lawyer and one of his clients is in the Navy and said the US is preparing to go to war with Iran.  Said people he knows are being deployed to the ME. :o

B man thinks this is a good thing? Some people just want to see the world burn. 

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, Doc said:

My son works for a lawyer and one of his clients is in the Navy and said the US is preparing to go to war with Iran.  Said people he knows are being deployed to the ME. :o

They always prepare.

Wait until the Navy stations a carrier in the northern Indian Ocean, with a significant task force.

• Like (+1) 1

4 hours ago, sherpa said:

They always prepare.

Wait until the Navy stations a carrier in the northern Indian Ocean, with a significant task force.

2000 troops and an aircraft carrier are already In the Mediterranean with more on the way. 

Within hours of the horrific Oct. 7 attack by Hamas, the U.S. began moving warships and aircraft to the region to be ready to provide Israel with whatever it needed to respond. On Tuesday, more ships and forces were heading toward Israel, and other troops in the U.S. were preparing to deploy if called on.

One U.S. aircraft carrier and its strike group is already in the eastern Mediterranean and a second one has left the U.S. and is heading that way. In addition, three Marine warships with are moving into the region. Scores of aircraft were dispatched to U.S. military bases around the Middle East, and American special operations forces are working with Israel’s military in planning and intelligence.

https://www.militarytimes.com/flashpoints/israel-palestine/2023/10/18/more-us-ships-head-toward-israel-and-2000-troops-on-heightened-alert/

President Biden is gonna get us into this.  He can't help himself.  This is exactly why I didn't want him to be President.

Edited by reddogblitz
Correct grammar
  • Thank you (+1) 2

1 hour ago, reddogblitz said:

2000 troops and an aircraft carrier are already In the Mediterranean with more on the way. 

https://www.militarytimes.com/flashpoints/israel-palestine/2023/10/18/more-us-ships-head-toward-israel-and-2000-troops-on-heightened-alert/

President Biden is gonna get us into this.  He can't help himself.  This is exactly why I didn't want him to be President.

Red he has been doing nothing but pulling us out of wars

Israel is an ally. We have to respond whenever Allys are attacked I don’t don’t want to see us put boots on the ground though.

• Haha (+1) 2

We’ve seen this movie so many times before. Why are we sending US troops this time? What’s so different about this time? Israel can handle Hamas on their own. Seems like Iran has been their end game all along. Someone convince me otherwise. 

1 hour ago, John from Riverside said:

Red he has been doing nothing but pulling us out of wars

Israel is an ally. We have to respond whenever Allys are attacked I don’t don’t want to see us put boots on the ground though.

He's done plenty besides ending wars.  On the day he was inaugurated one of his many Presidential Proclamations was to send more troops to Somalia.

But it's not as much as what he's done as President as much as I don't trust his judgement on these things.  He was as a major driver towards getting us into the Iraq War.  As chairmen of the Foreign Relations Committee he ran the hearings and refused to let anyone against the war testify.  Of course he voted for it and  continuing resolutions.

We'll see what happens. I hope you are right.

• Thank you (+1) 2

4 hours ago, Justice said:

We’ve seen this movie so many times before. Why are we sending US troops this time? What’s so different about this time? Israel can handle Hamas on their own. Seems like Iran has been their end game all along. Someone convince me otherwise. 

I'm not interested in convincing you of anything, the process is called deterrence.

If you deploy significant forces to an area it indicates your willingness to act if things get out of control.

If certain things happen and you don't use those forces, it is worse than never deploying them.

The positioning of sixth fleet forces in the Eastern Med is a lot less effective as a threat re Iran than assigning a carrier to the fifth fleet and positioning it in the Arabian Sea just east of Oman.

Been there and planned that.

As force deployment is now, if the US Navy was to act against Iran it would be a Tomahawk cruise missile thing more than a carrier airwing strike.

I have no idea what the Saudi view is of permitting US Air Force aircraft to strike Iran from Saudi bases.

Edited by sherpa
  • Like (+1) 1

56 minutes ago, sherpa said:

The positioning of sixth fleet forces in the Eastern Med is a lot less effective as a threat re Iran than assigning a carrier to the fifth fleet and positioning it in the Arabian Sea just east of Oman.

Been there and planned that.

were you an Admiral?  grow up in Lewiston on the river?  Tony?

• Haha (+1) 1
  • Dislike 1

26 minutes ago, Joe Ferguson forever said:

were you an Admiral?  grow up in Lewiston on the river?  Tony?

Admirals don't plan stuff, they run stuff.

When the Iranians seized the US Embassy in Tehran, we were in port at Subic Bay, Philippines. We had completed our six month western Pacific cruise and were to get underway for San Diego in two days.

We were directed to go the northern Indian Ocean just south of Iran and prepare for whatever might happen.

On the way, we ditched the Soviet Navy ship that always trailed us, and  surreptitiously picked up the ill fated helicopters that were involved in the disastrous rescue attempt that Carter ran. They were stashed out of sight on the hangar deck, but that's another story.

Anyway, on the way to our position east of Oman, which took us about seven days as I recall, we were directed to come up with plans to destroy the Iranian Air Force capability, so we came up with those strike plans.

Lots of kind of funny stuff involved in that, including surreptitiously purchasing "Fuzz Busters" from Sears, who never figured out the US Navy was the buyer.

After about three months on station we were relieved by Nimitz, who launched the rescue attempt a couple months later.

When I was made aware of the actual plan by friends on Nimitz, obviously aborted after the disaster in the Iranian desert I was absolutely shocked.

Edited by sherpa
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 2

4 minutes ago, sherpa said:

Admirals don't plan stuff, they run stuff.

When the Iranians seized the US Embassy in Tehran, we were in port at Subic Bay, Philippines. We had completed our six month western Pacific cruise and were to get underway for San Diego in two days.

We were directed to go the northern Indian Ocean just south of Iran and prepare for whatever might happen.

On the way, we ditched the Soviet Navy ship that always trailed us, and  surreptitiously picked up the ill fated helicopters that were involved in the disastrous rescue attempt that Carter ran. They were stashed out of sight on the hangar deck, but that's another story.

Anyway, on the way to our position east of Oman, which took us about seven days as I recall, we were directed to come up with plans to destroy the Iranian Air Force capability, so we came up with those strike plans.

Lots of kind of funny stuff involved in that, including surreptitiously purchasing "Fuzz Busters" from Sears, who never figured out the US Navy was the buyer.

rear admiral? graduated citadel?  what's a fuzz buster?

Edited by Joe Ferguson forever
  • Dislike 2

57 minutes ago, sherpa said:

You came up with them? 

• Eyeroll 1